Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are ye embarrassed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

on the earlier point of teenagers not being interested in working, that is completely wrong. I am a teenager, and more or less every teenager I know would give anything to have a job. In case anyone didn't notice, we've got over 12.5% unemployment, its not a case of walking into macdonalds and getting a job on the spot anymore.

• caseyann wrote: »
    Maybe because you tell them your Irish :rolleyes: Try saying your English next time or do you swap and change :pac:

I don't say anything, I give in whatever ID I have on me at the time. I don't know what's so funny about that, I have dual nationality.
    English are all such hard working brilliant people aren't they all of them not a single one who would binge drink or go to work with a hang over or would try get out of doing something in work.:rolleyes:

Keep going on the defensive. I don't care. I'm simply telling you that the Irish do not have a good reputation for hard work in most of Europe, and New York was the same. I worked on front desk of a big hotel and it was always the young (and not so young) Irish employees calling in sick hungover and asking me to tell the manager it was food poisoning, or coming into work hungover and spending the day getting water and complaining about how crap they felt.
    Yes worked abroad have been told Irish are approachable friendly warm hard working and will never try to avoid a job they are given.I say Irish and i am like in the door almost immediately even invited to work abroad.
    Funny isn't it how some say one thing and others say another.Every country in world has lazy bums,other people who don't do the work are not happy with it but have no choice.

Approachable, friendly and warm, yes I hear that a lot, but rarely hardworking. Irish people usually are well liked, but that doesn't mean they're not considered lazy. Of course it's a generalisation, of course I know hardworking Irish people. But having worked abroad, the attitude to work is just totally different in other countries. I'm not saying I want to be like that, being rather lazy myself, but I can easily see how other nations are more productive.
    Ah all us Irish lazy bums god shame on us we didn't make jobs in this country,nor did our grandparents or great grand parents work for pennies blood and sweat.It was everyone else in world :D

Have you ever heard of the EU? Or foreign investment? You might want to look into Ireland's economic history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Don't work on Sunday or the priest (who is actually working) will kick your arse!

I don't see how working on sundays would improve work ethic (diminish it if anything i'd say). And anyway, don't all western countries have a 5 day working week?

It's not as if it's confined to catholic countries :confused:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

I can't see the link between catholocism and work ethic....

Its a protestant myth. Every so often a Catholic country surprises the UK by passing them in productivity, like Ireland, Italy, Spain etc. and they forget it for a while. Then cyclical factors intervene and it comes back.

I am inclined to agree with the lad who suggested that working hard is for mugs. Unless you are entrepeneurial, dont. Work smart. Get into management and hire hard workers but take it easy yourself.

Very few people get rich from hard work - property development is not that much os a strain, nor is hedge fund management ( which is also risklesss), but working in a sweat shop is.

Irish people, as it happens, are incredibly productive. Second to Americans. More fool us.

"The average US worker produces $63,885 of wealth per year, more than their counterparts in all other countries, the International Labor Organization said in its report. Ireland comes in second at $55,986, followed by Luxembourg at $55,641, Belgium at $55,235, and France at $54,609."

Obviously that means that private sector workers probably make up to $100K per person per year for their companies. That actually does justify Ireland's high wages, unlike Greece which has high wages and low productivity.

More fool us. There is little to be proud of in working for the man, earning an average income, and dying. better to be the man, and the man is on the golf course.

It's not as if it's confined to catholic countries .

In fact it is more a Protestant thing to not work Sundays. We work on Sundays much more than the Germans. And people work when they have to - shift work, factory work, hospitals, shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

[quote=[Deleted User];64365797]I don't say anything, I give in whatever ID I have on me at the time. I don't know what's so funny about that, I have dual nationality.

Keep going on the defensive. I don't care. I'm simply telling you that the Irish do not have a good reputation for hard work in most of Europe, and New York was the same. I worked on front desk of a big hotel and it was always the young (and not so young) Irish employees calling in sick hungover and asking me to tell the manager it was food poisoning, or coming into work hungover and spending the day getting water and complaining about how crap they felt.

Approachable, friendly and warm, yes I hear that a lot, but rarely hardworking. Irish people usually are well liked, but that doesn't mean they're not considered lazy. Of course it's a generalisation, of course I know hardworking Irish people. But having worked abroad, the attitude to work is just totally different in other countries. I'm not saying I want to be like that, being rather lazy myself, but I can easily see how other nations are more productive.

Have you ever heard of the EU? Or foreign investment? You might want to look into Ireland's economic history.[/QUOTE]

First i dont care if you arelazy or not thats personality of your own and nothing to do with genes:rolleyes:

Second off before any EU help my and majority of everyones Irish family worked their asses off to build this country.Money doesnt build a country people do :rolleyes: I am sick of people pulling EU card out of their back side.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

First i dont care if you arelazy or not thats personality of your own and nothing to do with genes:rolleyes:

Second off before any EU help my and majority of everyones Irish family worked their asses off to build this country.Money doesnt build a country people do :rolleyes: I am sick of people pulling EU card out of their back side.

So the Irish economy was just booming before all the foreign investment, was it? I'm sure Nicaraguans have worked hard to build their country too, it doesn't make it rich and successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

I'm giving thought to falling off the wagon as we are f***d and the economy is f***d and I have no date for Val's day... may be one big bender tomorrow in ballybunion and then ist time to face the music any open to join me. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PS whats this I hear about Iran and the Greek. :cool:

[quote=[Deleted User];64418910]So the Irish economy was just booming before all the foreign investment, was it? I'm sure Nicaraguans have worked hard to build their country too, it doesn't make it rich and successful.[/QUOTE]

I see you put a price on happiness ;) This country even if not rich in economy was something to be alot more proud and happy in then the place it has become.And what ever you want to say what ever.Because i grew up here and witnessed my parents going out working their asses off and all my family who moved abroad worked their asses off to.
    You are not Irish.Irish people don't bad mouth the hard work their families put in for them.Without hard workers money doesn't build a country ;) No matter how many times you want to say it.If not for the Irish slogging their guts out in this country there would be no work for the other nationalities to come in and get. Money may provide growth but if Irish weren't working they wouldn't have stayed would they :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

caseyann wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    << You REALLY like that smiley.:rolleyes:

I can't comment on how the Irish are compared to other nationalities as I haven't live in enough countries to make a judgment. Living in one other country and saying you lived abroad means very little with all the countries there is.

But I do see both sides of the argument. I know plenty of hard working Irish people and I know plenty of lazy slobs trying to do the bare minimum.

Pittens is popping back in to this thread again to point out that I have already linked to statistics showing Ireland to be the second most productive country in the world per capita.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Kivaro wrote: »
    Ireland is now regarded as being part of PIIGS (along with Italy, Portugal, Spain and Greece

What's with the PIGS acronym?

First it was PIGS (portugal, italy, greece, spain).
    Then PIIGGS (portugal, italy, ireland, greece, great britain, spain).
    Now PIIGS (portugal, italy, ireland, greece, spain)

It just doesn't work if they change it. Couldn't those clever economists come up with something better?

I saw an angry demonstrator from Greece on the news last night; said she was fed up with everyone calling her a pig (hint: she was a pig).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Pittens wrote: »
    In fact it is more a Protestant thing to not work Sundays. We work on Sundays much more than the Germans. And people work when they have to - shift work, factory work, hospitals, shops.

Scotland is a predominantly protestant country yet everything is open and running on Sundays. :confused:

schween wrote: »
    << You REALLY like that smiley.:rolleyes:

I can't comment on how the Irish are compared to other nationalities as I haven't live in enough countries to make a judgment. Living in one other country and saying you lived abroad means very little with all the countries there is.

But I do see both sides of the argument. I know plenty of hard working Irish people and I know plenty of lazy slobs trying to do the bare minimum.

Yes and anyone who tries point finger at a whole country because of small few lazy arses i wil roll mine eyes at them to.
    Arent you plain sick of people dirtying irish name in favour of other countries?

Its a matter of slag off everyone elses country and people so they feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Who gives a fúck about work ethic? Why work your bollix off for some big multinational, retire in your 70's because you can't afford to retire earlier and then die when you can do feck all and still get the same money. I've had jobs since i was 16 but i've never actually worked a hard day in my life. Too much emphasis on working hard. No wonder stress exists.

Couldnt agree more with this post!
    Its amazing how many people applaud those who work hard when really whats the point of working hard? You only have one life, yet we admire those who live to work instead of working to live.

I watched as my parents worked punishing hours scrambling for money and status,and I never want to live that life. If that makes me lazy then I am quite proud of that fact. I've worked for big corporations in the past and did the minimum work I could as I just wanted enough money to live on.
    I work with people with disabilities now and work very hard for very little pay, because my work is so rewarding and I really am making a difference in the world.

I wouldnt call Irish people lazy at all, just indiffernet and bored of the jobs they are made do to put food on their tables.

Am I am embarrased by that news article? Not in the slightest!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

i just remember some guy on newstalk or some other radio station a few years ago calling ireland „the wealthiest nation on earth“…i thought it was hilarious back then and looking back it seems even more laughable…in a way it summarised what was or is wrong with ireland…like megalomania and losing touch with reality after a few good years…
    the rude awakening and the washout ireland experienced with the recession could have been avoided with a little more rationality, realism and intelligent planning during the good years…

Scotland is a predominantly protestant country yet everything is open and running on Sundays

It is historically protestant to close down on Sundays. Calvinism was very strong on this, and probably still is outside the big towns.

Remember this

Devout Christian Euan Murray remains part of Andy Robinson’s Scotland plans despite ruling himself out of the Six Nations opener with France because it is being played on a Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

schween wrote: »

I don't think its fair to call people lazy slobs just because they make the choice to work the bare minimum. If you decide you want to work crazy hours and not see your family as much so you can gain all the superficial trappings of hard work then that is a lifestyle choice.
    There are others,like myself, who dont care for superfical trappings such as holidays or I-Phones, and choose not to work as hard. It doesnt make me lazy I'm just choosing an alternative lifestyle where I can focus more on life than work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Yes and anyone who tries point finger at a whole country because of small few lazy arses i wil roll mine eyes at them to.

Hardly a small few.

Ireland's problems are systematic.
    My original question still stands. Is it not strange that we find ourselves grouped with Southern European countries rather than the countries in Northern Europe? What are the root causes for this alignment (i.e. similarities)?

Pittens is going to point out FOR THE THIRD TIME that Ireland's workforce is the second most productive in the world.

• Advertisement

I see you put a price on happiness ;) This country even if not rich in economy was something to be alot more proud and happy in then the place it has become.And what ever you want to say what ever.Because i grew up here and witnessed my parents going out working their asses off and all my family who moved abroad worked their asses off to.
    You are not Irish.Irish people don't bad mouth the hard work their families put in for them.Without hard workers money doesn't build a country ;) No matter how many times you want to say it.If not for the Irish slogging their guts out in this country there would be no work for the other nationalities to come in and get. Money may provide growth but if Irish weren't working they wouldn't have stayed would they :rolleyes:

Oh my God. I don't think I've ever seen anyone drag up such completely irrelevant rubbish trying to make a point. You really are clutching at straws, aren't you? I said myself that I personally prefer to work less and be happy. Yes, it's lovely that Ireland was a great place where everyone was happy and smiley and made each other cups of tea all day. I love hearing old stories from my grandparents. But that has feck all to do with Ireland's economy.

As for the rest, well, I don't even know what to say. Yes, the rest of the world should be incredibly grateful that the Irish bothered to work in the companies they set up. I mean, many of them could have decided they were too good to work and just stayed at home watching TV all day in their pyjamas........oh WAIT. Yes, that's right, even at the height of Ireland's boom, there were still thousands upon thousands of Irish people who just couldn't be bothered to work at all. What's your excuse for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

gamblitis wrote: »
    More Water!

Aahhh NUNs!! Reverse...Reverse :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Pittens is going to point out FOR THE THIRD TIME that Ireland's workforce is the second most productive in the world.

Like the poster who repeatedly would say on here that Ireland was the best place to live in the World, based on 'quality of life' published by an Economist magazine. Just because they say it does not necessarily mean that it's true (for the majority of us). Maybe they surveyed the people who do not work, or are the beneficiaries of an over-generous social welfare system, or people serving very light time in prison for serious crimes, or bugus asylum seekers, or the girl (with her child and employed partner) living rent-free in the new 3 bed semi-detached house in the ghost estate, or the best paid public 'servants' in Europe, or maybe they did the survey on a Friday/Saturday night after the pubs closed.

• Kivaro wrote: »
    Hardly a small few.

My original question still stands. Is it not strange that we find ourselves grouped with Southern European countries rather than the countries in Northern Europe? What are the root causes for this alignment (i.e. similarities)?

Ireland has always been more culturally similar to countries like Spain and Portugal than Germany or Norway. I guess a lot of it is the Catholic church. I find the Irish temperament and sense of humour to be much more similar to the Mediterranean countries. There has always been a strong link between Ireland and Spain with them sending over all their students every year. Irish people along with Mediterraneans tend to focus on things like family and would tend to put family, friends, happiness ahead of work. Irish people are way more laid back than Germans, for example. There is a 'ah sure, it'll do' attitude towards most things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

[quote=[Deleted User];64425026]
    As for the rest, well, I don't even know what to say. Yes, the rest of the world should be incredibly grateful that the Irish bothered to work in the companies they set up. I mean, many of them could have decided they were too good to work and just stayed at home watching TV all day in their pyjamas........oh WAIT. Yes, that's right, even at the height of Ireland's boom, there were still thousands upon thousands of Irish people who just couldn't be bothered to work at all. What's your excuse for them?[/QUOTE]

In fairness that happens everywhere where unemployment benefit is paid. The UK, Australia & the US all have it, you get lazy people everywhere not just Ireland. There isn't any need to get so insulting really. Try replacing Irish with Nigerian, Polish etc - it would sound just a little racist imo.

Just because Irish people don't generally have 4 jobs like in the US doesn't mean we are lazy, just means that "some" of us value life a bit more. I'd personally prefer a 35 hr week and see my family than a big car and a fancy house.

Pittens no one cares about that because,they like to try make like Irish did nothing and we owe everyone else because Irish are lazy drunks and bad workers.

• In fairness that happens everywhere where unemployment benefit is paid. The UK, Australia & the US all have it, you get lazy people everywhere not just Ireland. There isn't any need to get so insulting really. Try replacing Irish with Nigerian, Polish etc - it would sound just a little racist imo.

Just because Irish people don't generally have 4 jobs like in the US doesn't mean we are lazy, just means that "some" of us value life a bit more. I'd personally prefer a 35 hr week and see my family than a big car and a fancy house.

I know there are lazy people everywhere but the point is, there is no way that Irish people are up there with the most hardworking people in the world. Even when things were great and jobs were plentiful, laziness was very common. Even in the workplace, as I mentioned earlier in the thread.

I don't see the point in working myself to death either. That would be considered 'lazy' by a lot of people. The American college students I know all study full time, have 2 jobs and do all sorts of sports and volunteering on the side. I'm lazy compared to them. I'm not some waster, as caseyann seems to be trying to imply. I just don't kill myself working. I'm still doing a full time MA course, working part time, doing freelance work on the side and going to the gym twice a week. Hardly bone idle, but I could do more. I don't give 100% to everything like some people would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Have we blaimed it on the public service workers yet?.

[quote=[Deleted User];64425026]Oh my God. I don't think I've ever seen anyone drag up such completely irrelevant rubbish trying to make a point. You really are clutching at straws, aren't you? I said myself that I personally prefer to work less and be happy. Yes, it's lovely that Ireland was a great place where everyone was happy and smiley and made each other cups of tea all day. I love hearing old stories from my grandparents. But that has feck all to do with Ireland's economy.

As for the rest, well, I don't even know what to say. Yes, the rest of the world should be incredibly grateful that the Irish bothered to work in the companies they set up. I mean, many of them could have decided they were too good to work and just stayed at home watching TV all day in their pyjamas........oh WAIT. Yes, that's right, even at the height of Ireland's boom, there were still thousands upon thousands of Irish people who just couldn't be bothered to work at all. What's your excuse for them?[/QUOTE]

Like your genes been Irish and saying its because you have them that you are lazy?

Excuse for them i don't need to make excuse for them.There is hundreds of thousands of unemployed in NYC alone and in America upon the millions.And in every other country in world same thing.England same thing.
    Dont tell me they are all wanting to work and have no jobs to go to!

Have we blaimed it on the public service workers yet?.

No just Irish are lazy :eek:

• Advertisement

In fairness that happens everywhere where unemployment benefit is paid. The UK, Australia & the US all have it, you get lazy people everywhere not just Ireland. There isn't any need to get so insulting really. Try replacing Irish with Nigerian, Polish etc - it would sound just a little racist imo.

I know i agree with you.
    So if you aren't breaking your back means you are lazy and we didn't make our country what it was during Celtic boom and didn't survive before it.In order for them to want to bring they companies here had to see us as good workers and efficient.

[quote=[Deleted User];64425314]I know there are lazy people everywhere but the point is, there is no way that Irish people are up there with the most hardworking people in the world. Even when things were great and jobs were plentiful, laziness was very common. Even in the workplace, as I mentioned earlier in the thread.

I don't see the point in working myself to death either. That would be considered 'lazy' by a lot of people. The American college students I know all study full time, have 2 jobs and do all sorts of sports and volunteering on the side. I'm lazy compared to them. I'm not some waster, as caseyann seems to be trying to imply. I just don't kill myself working. I'm still doing a full time MA course, working part time, doing freelance work on the side and going to the gym twice a week. Hardly bone idle, but I could do more. I don't give 100% to everything like some people would.[/QUOTE]

Most hardworking people in world are the Indian kids and African kids etc.. who are worked to the bone.That's hard work. We are at the level we have to be and quite happy to stay there you have implied in your posts and don't try go back on it.How can you give two different nationalities in a job abroad and why would you take out your Irish one if they constantly said oh no Irish are lazy and we aren't hiring:rolleyes:
    Please you contradict yourself all time.

Like your genes been Irish and saying its because you have them that you are lazy?

Excuse for them i don't need to make excuse for them.There is hundreds of thousands of unemployed in NYC alone and in America upon the millions.And in every other country in world same thing.England same thing.
    Dont tell me they are all wanting to work and have no jobs to go to!

Oh my dear God. That was a tongue in cheek statement. Go back and reread what I actually said.

As for what the story is everywhere else, I have been to very few countries where people who can't be bothered to work are rewarded with a generous salary, where people actually decide its not worth their while working because they'd lose their dole. The UK is similar in that regard, but the social welfare isn't as generous as it is in Ireland. The system encourages laziness. In America, if you don't work, you're dirt poor.

Ireland distances itself from hardest hit
    EXPERT OPINION: IRELAND HAS distanced itself from the high debt problems of Greece, Portugal and Spain out of “sheer bloody-mindedness” by taking hard measures to correct its fiscal deficit, according to a UK author and expert on the euro.
    David Marsh, author of The Euro: The Politics of the New Global Currency , said the recent stability of Irish sovereign debt spreads showed that the markets believed Ireland’s recovery plan was “credible, will be maintained and will be ultimately successful”.
    Mr Marsh, a former Financial Times journalist, said the plan had distanced Ireland from the heavily indebted southern euro-zone states and aligned it with the more prudent northern euro-zone states such as the Netherlands.
    “This will be the third time over the last 25 years that the Irish have tightened their belts – the country has shown that it is willing to take the medicine and the necessary pain,” he told The Irish Times on a visit to Dublin.
    Ireland has a much better chance of succeeding than Greece, Portugal or, dare I say, Spain
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/0211/1224264200716.html

Most hardworking people in world are the Indian kids and African kids etc.. who are worked to the bone.That's hard work. We are at the level we have to be and quiet happy to stay there you have implied in your posts and don't try go back on it.How can you give two different nationalities in a job abroad and why would you take out your Irish one if they constantly said oh no Irish are lazy and we aren't hiring:rolleyes:
    Please you contradict yourself all time.

What level is that? Can you not see everything crashing down around you? You're either taking the p*ss, have no understanding of economics or are stuck in some sort of time warp in the Celtic Tiger years.

[quote=[Deleted User];64425612]Oh my dear God. That was a tongue in cheek statement. Go back and reread what I actually said.

As for what the story is everywhere else, I have been to very few countries where people who can't be bothered to work are rewarded with a generous salary, where people actually decide its not worth their while working because they'd lose their dole. The UK is similar in that regard, but the social welfare isn't as generous as it is in Ireland. The system encourages laziness. In America, if you don't work, you're dirt poor.[/QUOTE]

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/2707/brickwallgraffitigenera.jpg

I read it my head is sore now and not re reading.

[quote=[Deleted User];64425314]
    I don't see the point in working myself to death either. That would be considered 'lazy' by a lot of people. The American college students I know all study full time, have 2 jobs and do all sorts of sports and volunteering on the side. I'm lazy compared to them. I'm not some waster, as caseyann seems to be trying to imply. I just don't kill myself working. I'm still doing a full time MA course, working part time, doing freelance work on the side and going to the gym twice a week. Hardly bone idle, but I could do more. I don't give 100% to everything like some people would.[/QUOTE]

Thats not really a life though is it? I don't believe anyone would choose to live a life like that if it wasn't a necessity, unfortunately in the US it usually is and here it usually isn't, thats not to say there aren't some people who live by the mighty euro - there's plenty. I actually feel sorry for the young Americans tbh. They might have the best gadgets, cars etc but what good is that if you spend your life in drudgery?? I still work but I go home at 4.30 and my life is my own. Id rather my life any day.

• Thats not really a life though is it? I don't believe anyone would choose to live a life like that if it wasn't a necessity, unfortunately in the US it usually is and here it usually isn't, thats not to say there aren't some people who live by the mighty euro - there's plenty. I actually feel sorry for the young Americans tbh. They might have the best gadgets, cars etc but what good is that if you spend your life in drudgery?? I still work but I go home at 4.30 and my life is my own. Id rather my life any day.

I agree. At the same time, you can become very successful there by working hard. Depends what you're priorities are. I'd rather be called lazy (which I was over there, for turning up 5 mins before my shift instead of 30 and leaving on time instead of 'preparing for the next day') than spend my life at work.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/2707/brickwallgraffitigenera.jpg

I read it my head is sore now and not re reading.

Perhaps you should go and read a book about history/economics/English then. It's more productive than banging your head against a wall and you might even learn something.

• Advertisement

[quote=[Deleted User];64425646]What level is that? Can you not see everything crashing down around you? You're either taking the p*ss, have no understanding of economics or are stuck in some sort of time warp in the Celtic Tiger years.[/QUOTE]

And economics is because the people are not working and are lazy?
    Please go away i have clear understanding of economics in order for it to have built in first place meant there had to be workers there making it grow.Reason its on such a down fall now is because of bad decisions not because Irish are lazy>
    And you don't tongue and cheek any statement you made it quite clear you see the Irish as lazy and have said it in few posts taring the whole country with same brush.And quite proudly made it clear only little bit Irish and more English,and now stating that you England doesn't have as many unemployed.Also you forget that alot of them people on social welfare are non nationals here and also alot of them have been laid off due to mistakes of the people in control of the finances of the country.Nothing to do with Irish not working every hour they could.

I saw an article once of how a certain country had the highest sick leave in EU http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/19/business/worldbusiness/19iht-workcol20.html This may be old i cant find new one.

Belgian workers take sick leave nearly four times as often as U.S. workers, mostly attributed to Belgian law, which grants full salary the first month and then government-guaranteed 80 percent pay indefinitely. A recent study, noted in a January Wall Street Journal report, found that only 5 percent of Belgian leave-takers were proven malingerers, but that the biggest medical problem now is easily diagnosed “depression” (exacerbated by the worsening economy), leading to free-form medical leave-taking and creative treatments often unchallenged, such as for the man who frolicked on the soccer field, bought an Alfa Romeo, and reconnected with old friends (all of which, said his doctor, lessened his depression).
    http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/freshloaf/2009/03/07/news-of-the-weird-55/

[quote=[Deleted User];64425863]I agree. At the same time, you can become very successful there by working hard. Depends what you're priorities are. I'd rather be called lazy (which I was over there, for turning up 5 mins before my shift instead of 30 and leaving on time instead of 'preparing for the next day') than spend my life at work.[/QUOTE]

Well people measure success differently I guess. I love my children more than I love money, watching Ben 10 with them and having the energy to kick around a ball is much more rewarding than buying a new dress. If that makes me workshy than so be it. My lazy ass is off now, I think I might go to the cinema with my boys :pac: my life is gooood!

Kivaro wrote: »
    Hardly a small few.

Here you go no reason to be embarrassed :D
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...264200716.html

Ireland distances itself from hardest hit
    EXPERT OPINION: IRELAND HAS distanced itself from the high debt problems of Greece, Portugal and Spain out of “sheer bloody-mindedness” by taking hard measures to correct its fiscal deficit, according to a UK author and expert on the euro.
    David Marsh, author of The Euro: The Politics of the New Global Currency , said the recent stability of Irish sovereign debt spreads showed that the markets believed Ireland’s recovery plan was “credible, will be maintained and will be ultimately successful”.
    Mr Marsh, a former Financial Times journalist, said the plan had distanced Ireland from the heavily indebted southern euro-zone states and aligned it with the more prudent northern euro-zone states such as the Netherlands.
    “This will be the third time over the last 25 years that the Irish have tightened their belts – the country has shown that it is willing to take the medicine and the necessary pain,” he told The Irish Times on a visit to Dublin.
    Ireland has a much better chance of succeeding than Greece, Portugal or, dare I say, Spain
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/0211/1224264200716.html

And i bump this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

It is historically protestant to close down on Sundays. Calvinism was very strong on this, and probably still is outside the big towns.

Remember this

Devout Christian Euan Murray remains part of Andy Robinson’s Scotland plans despite ruling himself out of the Six Nations opener with France because it is being played on a Sunday.

Sorry? One born-again christian rugby player means Scotland doesn't shut up shop on sundays, are you serious?

Your argument against someone claiming catholicism and closing up shop on sundays is to argue that ireland is now more protestant than some protestant countries - I'm not sure what point you are making?! :confused:

Like the poster who repeatedly would say on here that Ireland was the best place to live in the World, based on 'quality of life' published by an Economist magazine. Just because they say it does not necessarily mean that it's true (for the majority of us). Maybe they surveyed the people who do not work, or are the beneficiaries of an over-generous social welfare system, or people serving very light time in prison for serious crimes, or bugus asylum seekers, or the girl (with her child and employed partner) living rent-free in the new 3 bed semi-detached house in the ghost estate, or the best paid public 'servants' in Europe, or maybe they did the survey on a Friday/Saturday night after the pubs closed.

Pittens comes in again to point out the survey - from a more reputable source than Samir Green Bellboy on the internet ( the Ecnomist I believe) - shows that the Irish are the second most productive people on the planet. It doesnt matter what racist anecdotes Izzy Wizzy came up with about the Lazy Irish, Pittens supplied actual real statistics to show Izzy Wizzy wrong. At this stage I would suggest ending the thread.

• Advertisement

Sorry? One born-again christian rugby player means Scotland doesn't shut up shop on sundays, are you serious?

Your argument against someone claiming catholicism and closing up shop on sundays is to argue that ireland is now more protestant than some protestant countries - I'm not sure what point you are making?!

what now? It was never a Catholic thing to keep the Sabbath as vigoursly as Protestantism. You claim was that we "Catholics" were lazy becuase we didnt work on Sudnay. WEll historically Protestants dont work or play on Sunday.

Which is why Soccer used to be on Saturday only, but GAA matches were traditionally on Sunday only. When I say that Protestantism is more keen on the Sabbath I am actually arguing from something historical I actually know - the rugby player who didnt play is an example of what everybody believed and acted a few generations ago.

And historical influence is presumably what you meant by Protestant and Catholic values - since all Western coiuntries are, by an large, secular in practice these days.

Is is also the case that Ireland is more open for business than Germany on a Sunday, and that Catholic towns in Northern Ireland buzz on sundays ( Newry etc. ) but Protestant towns are dead ( Lisburn).

Anyway all this is off-topic. Just correcting bad history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

No.

I've been living over in Melbourne for a while now, I had a job until Christmas, then work dried up a bit. The Irish that I worked with grabbed as much overtime as possible, whereas the Aussies, no harm to them, avoided it more so. People in warmer climates seem to me to be more focused on recreational activities and family, beaches, bbq etc etc - rather than being work focused, which is a great thing.

We, the Irish, actually do have a great reputation abroad for being hard workers.

I remember Bill Clinton visiting my home town in 2000, heres a link to his speech:
    http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/events/peace/docs/bc121200.htm
    Note how he refers to Irelands economy growing faster than any industrial country in the world! the mind boggles when you think of where we are now.
    But I know that it was us all who had us there, and with some luck, someday we might be back in a similar, if not more cautious, boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

25 years to be even considered in the same bracket as spain or italy would have been unthinkable and now we are embarrassed to be in that group.............

if only we could borrow 10 trillion dollars from china we could make everything ok again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

And I'd like to point out to Pittens that it's funny how this coincided with almost half a million foreign workers now working here. ;)

No it didnt. Increases in productivity per employee slowed since 2001.

Please no more racist anecdotes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement