Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are women usually the bosses in relationships?

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't think the hatred is conscious or anything though, it's just an impression I've gotten, and seems a big difference between Irish on Irish relationships and those that are either between an Irish person and someone from another background or two non-Irish people
    My experience would mirror this too. That often enough we as a culture do better with a partner from a different culture. Goes for both men and women too. There's less suspicion, more leeway or something?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

in all the companies I've ever taught, I've rarely, if ever, come across a female boss. Their response? "Women are too bitchy and catty to be bosses". Both women and men agreed on this. :eek:
    Lol at women who say stuff like that. They really should only speak for themselves. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Lol at women who say stuff like that. They really should only speak for themselves. :)

I was afraid I was going to get fired because of my reaction to those comments that day (ranta-arama) and had to go into the following class and apologise. A guy originally said it but they all agreed. Pathetic and depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I've had a fair few woman bosses/supervisors (actually probably more than I have had male ones), and I always got on well with them, what I did notice was though was that some of them would sometimes go easier on me than on the woman.
    I've noticed a bit of the same thing a bit with some male bosses being nicer to the woman.
    Perhaps its simply that people are more hesitant about being assertive or combative to people of the opposite gender.

Just my take on why some woman might say that, and it doesn't apply at all to the situation Legs is describing where the situation is simply sexist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I've had a fair few woman bosses/supervisors (actually probably more than I have had male ones), and I always got on well with them, what I did notice was though was that some of them would sometimes go easier on me than on the woman.
    I've noticed a bit of the same thing a bit with some male bosses being nicer to the woman.
    Perhaps its simply that people are more hesitant about being assertive or combative to people of the opposite gender.

Just my take on why some woman might say that, and it doesn't apply at all to the situation Legs is describing where the situation is simply sexist.

You could be right about the above but the thing is, there's almost no female management at all in RM (I think there's one woman in middle management who I taught), so neither of these women, who began working there straight out of university and are younger than myself, had experience with female bosses. Funnily enough, they both hated their male bosses (who sounded like total spanners from what they said) and would complain about them constantly in class.

Edit: Just read the last line of what you wrote, which I misread originally. I understand your point now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I think it might be true.

I think my husband turned off his brain about six years ago and now asks me before he does anything.
    I never noticed it until I read this but he does ask me about everything.
    He just asked me now what to put in the bag for the dinner for the baby for nanas house. He doesnt even need to ask this, he could put his hand in the freezer and randomly pick three ice cubes of preprepared food and no matter what itd be right. But he still called up to me to make sure.

He asks me before we go anywhere what hes to wear, if he needs a shave, what shoes to wear. I have to lay out clothes the night before for the baby if im not going to be there.

Ive ended up as the accountant, chef, interior designer, nurse and general decision maker in the house.

Jesus, I never even realised he does this!! I certainly didnt instigate this behaviour. I dont want to be a matriarch, i wanted a 50/50 marriage. Ive been fecking tricked!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Oh yeh I've definitely encountered the above. What I was just commenting on though was when some women call women bitchy and catty, and their baffling lack of self awareness and irony.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 120 ✭✭Chefrio

I think it might be true.

I think my husband turned off his brain about six years ago and now asks me before he does anything.
    I never noticed it until I read this but he does ask me about everything.
    He just asked me now what to put in the bag for the dinner for the baby for nanas house. He doesnt even need to ask this, he could put his hand in the freezer and randomly pick three ice cubes of preprepared food and no matter what itd be right. But he still called up to me to make sure.

He asks me before we go anywhere what hes to wear, if he needs a shave, what shoes to wear. I have to lay out clothes the night before for the baby if im not going to be there.

Ive ended up as the accountant, chef, interior designer, nurse and general decision maker in the house.

Jesus, I never even realised he does this!! I certainly didnt instigate this behaviour. I dont want to be a matriarch, i wanted a 50/50 marriage. Ive been fecking tricked!!!!

:O

That's shocking, you need to tell him to cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Or maybe they just fancy that particular person. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

You need to awaken his inner neanderthal.

Text him on his way home and tell him that when he comes in you want him to do what he pleases with you. That you want to be manhandled and ravished until you can't take no more and / or you collapse with exhaustion.

Make sure he is not driving though, he could crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Or maybe they just fancy that particular person. ;)

Well obviously thats the case for me and the female bosses I've worked with since I'm a veritable Greek God :pac: but its nice to hear somebody else say it for once :cool:

Advertisement