Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you 'Good with Money'?

Options
  • 04-08-2012 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

I used to be appalling with it. My weeks wages would go into my bank account and I hadn't a washer by the time the weekend was over.

Used to make stupid purchases too. Random **** that I'd never actually use.

Thing is I don't even earn that much so my bank was fecked every week :eek:

I'm starting to get a handle on things now. Set up a savings account a few weeks ago and have been budgeting pretty decently :D

So AH, are you good with your dosh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Yeah, I have totally got the knack of spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Give me a chance and let me find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Absolutly ****é

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Dean0088 wrote: »
    I used to be appalling with it. My weeks wages would go into my bank account and I hadn't a washer by the time the weekend was over.

Used to make stupid purchases too. Random **** that I'd never actually use.

Thing is I don't even earn that much so my bank was fecked every week :eek:

I'm starting to get a handle on things now. Set up a savings account a few weeks ago and have been budgeting pretty decently :D

You seem like you might be just the person to buy some of my magic beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

would have to have money to 'be good with it' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Absolutely terrible. It's the bipolar you see. I've too often spent huge amounts on things I didn't want/need.

I need a girlfriend that would be willing to be responsible for all my financial decisions & would simply give me pocket money every week from my earnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

If getting through the average industrial wage in a week, every week, is "being good with money", then yep, I'm good with it. Others, the missus included, may not agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'm good with money, not so great without it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Used to be really bad, but definitely getting much better these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 yaboyabobo

Since I have been knee high to a duck,I have been careful with my few bob.
    I drink,at home mainly,I gamble,small but I make sure I save every month.
    The forecast is for more heavy rain so a very strong brolly is needed.
    Believe me,saving can be fun and a lift when u count how much u have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Of course, I am :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Better than Brian Cowen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

talla10 wrote: »
    Better than Brian Cowen

Depends on the point of view. His or ours?! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Depends on the point of view. His or ours?! :P

Sorry i though thread was 'Are you good with other people's money' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

Yes.

Unlike the Quinn family I live within my means, and when I gamble it is with money I have. I pay my debts and don't hide it from the courts.

I save to buy, my only debt is my tracker mortgage. When I had no money I limited my spending, which was damn tough at the time.

Pity our country has racked up a huge amount of debt living beyond our means, meaning my infant daughter will have to pay for idiot politicians that did not balance the books, bailed out their mates in corrupt banks that should have been let go bust, and to pay too much for badly run public services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I find that I'm really economical with small things. I'd go to Aldi for what the have cheaper than Lidl and vice versa. I won't spend more than €3 on lunch. I wait for (most) computer games to go under €30 before buying them and I smoke rolling tobacco instead of proper cigarettes.
    But I'll have no problem impulse spending on more costly items. I'll fork out a couple of hundred Euro on stuff that I'll never use.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

Not really.

But then again, I never have a lot in the first place to spend so it always seems like I'm not good with it cos by the end of the month there isn't much left! :(

I can budget but sometimes I don't want to... i.e. when faced with the "will I go out or not-dilemma" or when I see some nice clothes in the shops.

• Advertisement

I am shocking with money. Apart from my mortgage I don't have any loans and pay my credit card bill in full each month and I have some savings but money burns a hole in my pocket. I don't buy much crap but I go out and go away an awful lot. I buy a lot of concert tickets too. Feck it. I have a great life :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Yep surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,071 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm pretty terrible with left-over money.

I'm great at saving money for the rent and food and always pay my bills on time but the rest of it disappears fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I've become unemployed recently.

Through necessity I've had to work off extremely tight budgets. I manage to pay off my debts on dole and a part time job.

Necessity will focus your mind remarkably

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

Very Bad............get my money on a Thursday gone by Friday, get a loan for the next few days pay it back the next Thursday then gone again by Friday.......... viscous circle it is living off social welfare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

I earn €120 per week. I do live comfortably in an absolute squat of a house though. Also, I never have any money for anything I want but I can afford most of the things that I need.

My generation really has been shafted. I just finished my teaching degree and literally nowhere is taking on NQTs. It looked like a safe enough profession to go into at the start of my course.

Advertisement