Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Were Dublin CC right to remove coats donated to the homeless from Ha'peny Bridge?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the more money government here have, the more they will waste. I was previously for raising LPT. I am against it now, they dont bother collecting millions in rent from social housing, charge a pittance for it. Make bizarre, financially insane decisions to rent council housing at a fortune, reducing the amount of housing they can provide. Taking these properties away from the private rental market :mad::rolleyes:

There is no issue with funding here, its idiotic governance and financial recklessness that is the issue!

these people that get social housing, dont even pay LPT , they dont pay management fees etc. Despite getting the place for a pittance and other homeowners should contribute to this insanity? LOL!

They need to build there own units, on OUR land, never sell them off. Charge an appropriate rent!

With what money will the local authorities build their own units?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Idbatterim wrote: »
    LOl! With how our councils go about securing ridiculously expensive accommodation for social housing ?! An example being the three thousand per month for some apartments they are renting in Dundrum ? They are renting an entire newly built block for twenty five years at obscene cost ! I

FG only have 13 of 39 councillors on DLR CoCo....
    http://ecouncil.dlrcoco.ie:9071/mgMemberIndex.aspx?FN=PARTY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Dublin's homeless problem is no worse than anywhere else (statistically it's just below the average of advanced countries) even accounting for our daftly broad definitions of what is "homelessness".

By percentage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_homeless_population

Germany 0.37%
    UK 0.46%
    Ireland 0.22%
    USA 0.12%

Even then our definition of homelessness is generous to say the least (the term being abused now to get bumped up housing lists).

Anyone homeless is a tragedy but it's being blown out of all proportion in this country.

Even just up the road....

Homeless levels in NI : 18573 out of a population of 1.871m

Homeless level in RoI: 10514 out of a population of 4.792m

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

markodaly wrote: »
    If given the opportunity, the Irish electorate would in a heartbeat abolish LPT.
    The proof in the pudding is most LA reducing it by the maximum 15% when it came in, then at the same time councilors complaining they had no money for Social Housing.

None of that has anything to do with my post, which simply pointed out that you misrepresented what another poster said.

"raising awareness"

a long way of saying "im a clown, and of no practical use"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Maybe someone should have thought before acting. No one has any use for a sodden, gammy coat that smells of particulates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

"raising awareness"

a long way of saying "im a clown, and of no practical use"

I don't think it was aimed at you, but if you feel the glove fits ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Crossed that bridge a few days ago when the "coats" were up....most had seen better days and were greasy and some had pockets torn.

Whoever thought this was a good idea...would want to think again ...Corpo was absolutely right in taking that tat down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's like an open air flea market with actual fleas.

What's to stop non homeless helping themselves to any nicer jackets, keeping or selling them?

Well meaning but half thought out as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Boggles wrote: »
    Did you not get the circular?

In the past month or so we found out.

Maria Bailey
    Alan Farrell
    Dara Murphy

Maria Bailey? How long are your months? 7 months ago that crap started. It's the new Garlic man at this stage its trotted out that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The Hapeny bridge is a monument. It's the emblem of Dublin. Leaving the coats was defacing the bridge. This is what happens when someone with little knowledge has good intentions. There is no shortage of warm clothing for homeless people in Dublin City. Charities tour the city every night of the year including Christmas and they distribute warm clothes and sleeping bags.

I'm 100 percent behind the good intentions but it was totally the wrong thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I totally agree that this was a foolish idea, no-one wants a soaking wet coat.

Catriona from Penny Dinners was on radio today as well asking people not to drop in their rubbish to her.

There were bags with dirty underwear and USED sanitary towels in them! Scumbags.

I also hate the term virtue signallers but in this case it's definitely apt.

I don't like that his thread has turned into another "we don't have a problem with homelessness" thread because we definitely do and it's very simple.

The county councils stopped building during the recession and never started again. Somewhere along the way the government decided to rely on the private rental market to solve the problem of people who will never be able to afford to buy their own house. This policy has completely failed.

I have previously volunteered with Focus and I currently still donate by DD to them because they have proof that 85% of their money goes directly to services and I believe it because we had a launch when the shop opened and we only used drink and food that was donated, none was bought from funds belonged to the charity. Never was a penny wasted.

People can be very cynical at times, but believe me when I say this is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Maria Bailey? How long are your months? 7 months ago that crap started. It's the new Garlic man at this stage its trotted out that much.

October good enough for you?

Fine Gael TDs Maria Bailey and Alan Farrell had to refund Oireachtas expenses

Advertisement