Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to start a business but don't know what sector

Options
  • 20-01-2020 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

I'd really like to own my own business, I'm from the finance sector and aged 30

Problem is I can't think of any business that I could be successful in

Does anyone have any ideas eg. Stable businesses or new trends?

It'd really help my brainstorming!

Thanks so much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Thanks so much

Ryan from Ryan's world is only 8 and has 35,000,000,000 YouTube views and 25 million subs probably made 35 million dollars off that so if he can do it you should be able to do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Ryan from Ryan's world is only 8 and has 35,000,000,000 YouTube views and 25 million subs probably made 35 million dollars off that so if he can do it you should be able to do better.

The 30,000,000 other YouTube channels probably think the same too!

OP: Having said that its definitely a viable option these days. With some good content, a little bit of investment and some serious graft you can probably grow a channel to the level to produce a reasonable income inside about a year. Until you're hitting 50k views/day you aren't really making anything so you need to stick at it.

Thanks so much

Do you want customer facing with a physical location or be sat at home on the computer?

What interests do you have that you see others making money from these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

jimmii wrote: »
    Do you want customer facing with a physical location or be sat at home on the computer?

What interests do you have that you see others making money from these days?

I'm a pretty good investor when it comes to stocks {yes we're in a bull market and everything is up but I've made 100+ percent gains on several stocks)

But I'm not fond of day trading or the like - I'm more buy and hold

I like green energy for some reason? Maybe I should invest in an eii fund instead

The 30,000,000 other YouTube channels probably think the same too!

OP: Having said that its definitely a viable option these days. With some good content, a little bit of investment and some serious graft you can probably grow a channel to the level to produce a reasonable income inside about a year. Until you're hitting 50k views/day you aren't really making anything so you need to stick at it.

A good friend of mine makes 20euro a month on his YouTube passively, beer money I suppose!

• Advertisement

A good friend of mine makes 20euro a month on his YouTube passively, beer money I suppose!

I would imagine 90% of monetized accounts are doing that. So long as it's something fun its money for nothing!

I'm a pretty good investor when it comes to stocks {yes we're in a bull market and everything is up but I've made 100+ percent gains on several stocks)

But I'm not fond of day trading or the like - I'm more buy and hold

I like green energy for some reason? Maybe I should invest in an eii fund instead

I'm the same day trading doesn't appeal to me at all much rather long term stuff.

It's good to have something in stocks but you need that day to day too.

Was thinking more general stuff that you aren't currently making money from whether it be sports, books, film, languages anything like that.

I'm the same day trading doesn't appeal to me at all much rather long term stuff.

It's good to have something in stocks but you need that day to day too.

Was thinking more general stuff that you aren't currently making money from whether it be sports, books, film, languages anything like that.

Nothing like that I'm afraid I'm pretty boring!

Bumping this for more ideas

Bumping again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Bumping again!

What do you enjoy doing in life?
    What are you good at?
    What businesses relate to either of these.

Forge83 wrote: »
    What do you enjoy doing in life?
    What are you good at?
    What businesses relate to either of these.

I'm not sure I'm good at anything except excel sheets!

I like dealing with people

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

I'm not sure I'm good at anything except excel sheets!

I like dealing with people

An Excel training business.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Lots of people struggle with budgeting / daily / weekly / monthly finances....build excel templates and see them at a reasonable price..build in the formula and design in such a.way anyone can use them.
    Could have different scenarios: single income no dependants saving for a mortgage, family with 1 income, couple with 2 income and mortgage...loads of different variations ..you can consult with people and made bespoke templates..

Advertise on social media...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

must be a light drinker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Become an Independent Financial Adviser. There is a shortage of people who offer these services in Ireland and the fact that less that 1/3 of our workforce have any plans for retirement clearly shows that there is a need.

If you do this sell hours and not products and you'd help people put plans together to secure future spending (example playing for kids college) or securing retirement (example pension). Pensions rules in Ireland are very generous there are not enough people helping to take advance of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Bumping this for more ideas
    Bumping again!

Do you honestly think somebody is going to say, here you go, here is a business model that will make you successful?

The fact you even think that this is how to start your own business shows this ain't gonna happen for you.

easypazz wrote: »
    Do you honestly think somebody is going to say, here you go, here is a business model that will make you successful?

The fact you even think that this is how to start your own business shows this ain't gonna happen for you.

No I wasn't, I was just looking for ideas to assist in my brainstorming

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

There is a company here in Toronto and all they do is advise Millenials (Myself included) as to how to plan for the future financially. They look at your income, give you a plan and then schedule some follow up meetings. I think the initial consultation is about $250 and a 15 min phone call a few months after is $60.

They started as a single person and I think they now have a team of 6+. If you offered the service remotely and after hours (6pm to 10pm, and weekends) you would likely make a mint. It's a very automat-able business as really you just need a skeleton plan for an individual and then adjust it accordingly.

ironclaw wrote: »
    There is a company here in Toronto and all they do is advise Millenials (Myself included) as to how to plan for the future financially. They look at your income, give you a plan and then schedule some follow up meetings. I think the initial consultation is about $250 and a 15 min phone call a few months after is $60.

They started as a single person and I think they now have a team of 6+. If you offered the service remotely and after hours (6pm to 10pm, and weekends) you would likely make a mint. It's a very automat-able business as really you just need a skeleton plan for an individual and then adjust it accordingly.

Thanks - that's something I could definitely do as I advise friends and family already

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Thanks - that's something I could definitely do as I advise friends and family already

I was a bit lost here..... but now I know.

You have no idea of what to do, you consider €20 a month beer money and you post her looking for (and expect to receive gratis) a business model that will make you successful.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Become an Independent Financial Adviser. There is a shortage of people who offer these services in Ireland and the fact that less that 1/3 of our workforce have any plans for retirement clearly shows that there is a need.

If you do this sell hours and not products and you'd help people put plans together to secure future spending (example playing for kids college) or securing retirement (example pension). Pensions rules in Ireland are very generous there are not enough people helping to take advance of them.

Have you any idea of what you are talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

ironclaw wrote: »

All he needs is enough fools to part with $250 for a 15 minute phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

But can you persuade people to pay for it?

What would you be offering that I couldn't get for free by posting a query here on boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

But can you persuade people to pay for it?

What would you be offering that I couldn't get for free by posting a query here on boards.ie?

Synergy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

I was a bit lost here..... but now I know.

You have no idea of what to do, you consider €20 a month beer money and you post her looking for (and expect to receive gratis) a business model that will make you successful.
    the op is simply asking for ideas and suggestions from people...where is the harm in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Have you any idea of what you are talking about?

I absolutely do! Why do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

easypazz wrote: »
    All he needs is enough fools to part with $250 for a 15 minute phone call.

I consider fools those that part with €100 on a night out on the beer as they perceive it as value. Value is relative.

My gf got her finances in order through them and she is already 'up' about $3k on her savings after 6 months and they let her know of tax credits/savings accounts that apply to her.

So for $250, she got her monies worth and she declined the follow-up call as she didn't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

What is your definition of success?

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I absolutely do! Why do you ask?

Ask? Because anyone who knows anything about the financial advice industry would know about compliance and the regulatory process, and as a result would not make an ill-informed statement about 'becoming a financial advisor'.

Advertisement