Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council housing differential rent.

Options
  • 23-01-2020 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Ok won't name location. But does anyone here know the formula local authorities use to calculate this rent for their housing. Want an idea as to how they arrived at the figure they gave me.

I've read some of the publications about these but none have it in black and white

Let's say I'm getting €200 a week welfare and €100 week part time (not cash in hand ) do your calculations if anyone knows. Just me in house. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Depending on location could be up to 15% of total income from the household
    Go on to your local authorities website and you should be able to find their rents policy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,835 ✭✭✭CoBo55

In Wexford it's 30 euro up to a certain figure of earnings i.e 30 is the minimum rent anyone pays and a percentage of anything over that. Got some figures, 30 rent on income up to 171 and 24% on income over that. Your rent should be 60.96.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭andrewbrowne

CoBo55 wrote: »
    In Wexford it's 30 euro up to a certain figure of earnings i.e 30 is the minimum rent anyone pays and a percentage of anything over that. Got some figures, 30 rent on income up to 171 and 24% on income over that. Your rent should be 60.96.

Yeah read that on the Welford COCO. At least they've made an effort to explain. Based on the figures I gave you I'm getting charged a 3rd more than that. Knew my figures were bollox. And trust me nothing justifies this authority to charge more than Wexford. Nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Tipperary is €20 for first €200 and 20% of everything over that

We’ve €566 a week 2a2c and rent is €91

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Yeah read that on the Welford COCO. At least they've made an effort to explain. Based on the figures I gave you I'm getting charged a 3rd more than that. Knew my figures were bollox. And trust me nothing justifies this authority to charge more than Wexford. Nothing

Every local authority has a different formula, different things allowed as deductions and different levels of what counts as income and disregards. You need the differential rent document from your local authority.

• Advertisement

They don't reveal it. Just say its based on said scheme. No breakdown or formulas, so that probably gives an insight as to how they do things. I can pm links if anyone wants

Let me tell you Wexford are no better, a work colleague was in a similar situation to yourself and they denied pont blank he was being overcharged until I screen grabbed the page from their own site and printed it off for him... Some of the Biddy's working in those offices haven't the manner of dogs you'd think it was coming out of their pockets!!!

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Some of the Biddy's working in those offices haven't the manner of dogs you'd think it was coming out of their pockets!!!

Technically speaking, it kinda is.

Technically speaking, it kinda is.
    What?? Someone being overcharged by over 25% is coming out of the tenants pocket, simple as that. Let there be no misunderstanding if every tenant decided to stop paying rent those biddy's would still get paid..

Tipperary is €20 for first €200 and 20% of everything over that

We’ve €566 a week 2a2c and rent is €91
    91 is the figure I'm paying for #####n half that income almost. Don't think I need to ask anymore 😡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

Have your circumstances changed recently? They may still have old information on your file.

Each authority has their own calculation but they should all be published on their individual website somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

91 is the figure I'm paying for #####n half that income almost. Don't think I need to ask anymore 😡

If you were in arrears at any stage then your arrears will be added on.

First time applicant. Only got paperwork for the deal recently without going into too much detail. Info exact as in first post. Week's welfare and few days handy work through the books. Hardly setting the world alight 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

In that case it's probably just a mis-calculation. I haven't heard of any local authority that charge as much as 30% differential rent. I'd call them on Monday or pop down to their office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

I pay over 800 for my council house in meath, 35 is the lowest and 200 is the maximum rent per week in meath, im on the highest, its a joke, your rent will probably be between 45-55, if you where living in meat it would be 65.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

upinthesky wrote: »
    I pay over 800 for my council house in meath, 35 is the lowest and 200 is the maximum rent per week in meath, im on the highest, its a joke, your rent will probably be between 45-55, if you where living in meat it would be 65.00.

Would you not look for somewhere to rent privately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

splinter65 wrote: »
    Would you not look for somewhere to rent privately?

Rents are just too big at the moment, and the security of a council house is good in terms of loosing your job or getting sick, only option I would have is to buy it which I will look into shortly

Advertisement