Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cone bearing grease

Options
  • 02-12-2020 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

is grease grease or are there substantial differences between them ?

I'm going to replace the loose bearings in a Shimano r501 wheel set and am wondering is the bike grease shown in photo fine ?

The orange tube shows another white colored grease I have lying around and I wondering could that be used either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Image attached

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

For your purposes, either grease is fine.

Generally any lithium based grease would be fine for bearings and cones etc. on a bike. Teflon based (what you have there) will be fine too, but in my experience, anything that's marketed as "for bikes" will be more expensive that general purpose bearing grease

A quick caveat - be careful not to use copper grease for lubrication purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I find Shimano Premium grease lasting forever in bearings - it's really water resistant and quite thick.

https://r2-bike.com/SHIMANO-Premium-Grease-100g

I re-grease all new bearings before using, as the factory grease tends to disappear quickly in Irish weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,213 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Halfords “multi purpose grease” about €5. One tub will do you for years.

This is my go-to grease. It's blue, so you know its extra good...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRW62jD2f5K6nMj8InXBUoXr6sxqFCO4nNQQA&usqp=CAU

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    I find Shimano Premium grease lasting forever in bearings - it's really water resistant and quite thick.

https://r2-bike.com/SHIMANO-Premium-Grease-100g

I re-grease all new bearings before using, as the factory grease tends to disappear quickly in Irish weather.

I've no doubt that it works well as a grease, but it works out at €125 per kilo. General purpose lithium grease will work out at about a tenner a kilo.

I struggle to believe the shimano grease is more effective by a factor of ten

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

but it works out at €125 per kilo

Who the hell needs a kilo of grease for home bike maintenance? ;D

I have the tub from the link for two years now, 1/3 left still. I use it for everything bike-related, and I did not have to re-open a single hub where it sits, so far. Same with headsets.

It's the time you're buying, not the grease, really.

Alek wrote: »
    Who the hell needs a kilo of grease for home bike maintenance? ;D

I have the tub from the link for two years now, 1/3 left still. I use it for everything bike-related, and I did not have to re-open a single hub where it sits, so far. Same with headsets.

It's the time you're buying, not the grease, really.

I've a tub like I linked to above for maybe 5 or 6 years now. I've rebuilt two bikes from bare frame using the Holt's grease, and I've had no issues either.

Like I said earlier, I'm sure the Shimano branded stuff does an excellent job, but I hate when companies blatantly over-charge for a product.

The Shimano grease, to my mind, would have to last 10 times longer than generic grease to be worth that money. I regreased my headset after 2 years of use, took me about 15 minutes.
    Shimano grease would want to be lasting 20 years for me to pay their price :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cletus wrote: »
    I've a tub like I linked to above for maybe 5 or 6 years now. I've rebuilt two bikes from bare frame using the Holt's grease, and I've had no issues either.

Like I said earlier, I'm sure the Shimano branded stuff does an excellent job, but I hate when companies blatantly over-charge for a product.

The Shimano grease, to my mind, would have to last 10 times longer than generic grease to be worth that money. I regreased my headset after 2 years of use, took me about 15 minutes.
    Shimano grease would want to be lasting 20 years for me to pay their price :D
    I have a tub or grease that I bought in a car accessories shop about 25 years ago. I've about 10% of it used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Thanks guys, replace ball bearings and greased up. Once wiped, old bearing looked pretty much the same as new, i.e. round. Do loose bearings wear ?

There is a bit of a knack in getting loose bearings in/out without dropping them all over the place

• Advertisement

Good job

Big question is...what grease did you use??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Thanks guys, replace ball bearings and greased up. Once wiped, old bearing looked pretty much the same as new, i.e. round. Do loose bearings wear ?

There is a bit of a knack in getting loose bearings in/out without dropping them all over the place

New bearings are very shiny, older bearings look progressively duller (surface is microscopically worn). If it’s more than a little bit noticeable, it’s probably time to change them.

Tip for handling loose bearings: a small magnet (one from a kitchen cabinet or smaller). Park Tool’s UP-1 pick set is what I use (magnet on top of handle).

Advertisement