Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Potato not good enough for chips ?

Options
  • 02-12-2020 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2020/1130/1181294-potatoes-brexit/

This is an outrage, If the Irish potato failure in the 1840's was good enough to kill millions of Irish people when it failed in the famine, Well then its good enough for their bloody chips ! I shall be bringing this further.
    Where were the Forte family in 1845 ? Eating their Pasta and supping fine wines, That's where they were, and now our spuds are not good enough for their poxy chips ? How dare they ?

Comments

There's about four people alive that could tell the difference between an Irish potato and a British potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,638 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There's about four people alive that could tell the difference between an Irish potato and a British potato.

Mr Potato Head, Mrs Potato Head, and their two kids .

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Mr Potato Head, Mrs Potato Head, and their two kids .
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Feck UK spuds, we do lovely spuds in North Co. Dublin, the hidden gem of provision of lots of stuff like that. Hidden gem of the source of so much really.

I know many non Dubs cannot do it, but honestly the amount of greenhouses and so on up in that area is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Sounds like the OP has a 'chip' on his shoulder, he's getting all mashed up and before you know it his brain will be 'fries'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Maris piper is the type of spud you need for chips. Not grown that much here. We have roosters and queens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Maybe harder deep fried, but I reckon easy.

Most Irish potatoes are like the beloved Rooster.

Lot if ****e. Take your eye off them for a second and they go from solid to mush in the pan.

Give me a Maris any day.

Sounds like the OP has a 'chip' on his shoulder, he's getting all mashed up and before you know it his brain will be 'fries'.
    :D
    I am waiting for the 9.05 ''Office Barristers'' to log into boards in the morning (To Start Work) and slate me for ''Mocking'' the famine victims, It will happen...Watch !:D

The real outrage here is that they are probably using UK potatoes because they are readily available frozen and are cheaper due to economies of scale.

Chippers should cut chips on demand.

But considering most don't even batter fish fresh anymore then no chance at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The type the chippers use cook and brown quicker when fried. Ive done this experiment with kerrs pinks and maris piper mixed. Much shorter cook time for the maris piper so id say that is the driving force behind the choice and not anything to do with taste etc.

• Advertisement

That's easy, The British Potato has a red passport, Ours are green.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Maris piper is the type of spud you need for chips. Not grown that much here. We have roosters and queens.

My brother and I grew a load of Roosters in a scuttery little dead flowerbed in Dublin city center this summer. If we could grow them in those conditions, then anyone can. If I had had the space, I'd have planted a lot more. Is there anything stopping Maris Piper potatoes and the like from being grown in this country, or is it just an issue to do with the farming industry?

Nothing wrong with Roosters for chips, but the best homemade chips I've ever had were made from Queens. (That's a personal opinion though.) I don't like chipper chips anymore, they've become better looking but more dry and flavourless IMO.

Wonder if it's just chippers in Dublin, the ones in my town mostly buy from a place around the corner from my childhood home and the spuds they get are in the same sacks as the local vegetable shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

British land has gone to s*** from overfarming. Soil has no nutrients left. Our spuds will be better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

You've just shown yourself to be a fu¢king idiot. Where do you go from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

salt and vinegar is a must on chips,vinegar first then salt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Feck UK spuds, we do lovely spuds in North Co. Dublin, the hidden gem of provision of lots of stuff like that. Hidden gem of the source of so much really.

I know many non Dubs cannot do it, but honestly the amount of greenhouses and so on up in that area is unreal.
    Unreal? You don't get out much

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

bassy wrote: »
    salt and vinegar is a must on chips,vinegar first then salt :)
    Wrong (about the order). If you put the vinegar in first, the salt stops at the first bit of vinegar it meets. Salt in first allows it to move down the bag more evenly...and then the vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

(I think I might drop in to my local chipper on the way home from work. I've only been there once in the part 9 months.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I'll chip in and say that Tayto buy over 20% of the Irish potato crop to make their various brands of crisps

• Advertisement

Darc19 wrote: »
    I'll chip in and say that Tayto buy over 20% of the Irish potato crop to make their various brands of crisps

That's why they are shyte as well then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Darc19 wrote: »

So they buy something approaching 80% from elsewhere?
    Impressive stat.

So they buy something approaching 80% from elsewhere?
    Impressive stat.

No, I think they meant 20% of the total Irish crop goes to tayto. 80% of the Irish crop is used elsewhere (chips, retail, whatever).

We don't know if that means 100% of tayto is covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

km991148 wrote: »
    The real outrage here is that they are probably using UK potatoes because they are readily available frozen and are cheaper due to economies of scale.

Chippers should cut chips on demand.

But considering most don't even batter fish fresh anymore then no chance at all...

It’s actually growing conditions. They blacken with the frosts we get here so warmer areas in U.K. are more suited.

There’s plenty other spuds that can be chipped.

Pretty embarrassing that worrying about chippie spuds is what’s making the headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Best chips.

Potatoes grown from the Scottish seed variety of potato.

Scottish seed potatoes are considered a global gold standard because they are less prone to diseases .....

Best chips.

Potatoes grown from the Scottish seed variety of potato.

Scottish seed potatoes are considered a global gold standard because they are less prone to diseases .....

I think a good Ayrshire tattie as well, but they are more early season boilers, not sure you would chip them?

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s actually growing conditions. They blacken with the frosts we get here so warmer areas in U.K. are more suited.

There’s plenty other spuds that can be chipped.

Pretty embarrassing that worrying about chippie spuds is what’s making the headlines.

Ah feck it. There is enough misery, what wrong with a light hearted look at the state of our chips?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Ish66 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2020/1130/1181294-potatoes-brexit/

This is an outrage, If the Irish potato failure in the 1840's was good enough to kill millions of Irish people when it failed in the famine, Well then its good enough for their bloody chips ! I shall be bringing this further.
    Where were the Forte family in 1845 ? Eating their Pasta and supping fine wines, That's where they were, and now our spuds are not good enough for their poxy chips ? How dare they ?

Leo Burdock's is shit anyway. They had something going 30 years ago. Now it's slop. hey can stuff their frozen cod up their arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

55% of all fruit and veg grown in Ireland come from North Co Dublin, amazing for such a small part of the island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

They should start importing the Bintje potato from Belgium and The Netherlands instead as that is the best chip potato. I believe Supermac's already does.

I understand this variety does not fair well in Irish soil.

Advertisement