Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Kestrel numbers declining?

Options
  • 30-11-2020 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭

In north Co. Dublin, a few years ago I used to see kestrel's on a daily basis if not an hourly basis. Then the odd buzzard started to appear...

Fast forward 10-12 years and the buzzards are constantly present but I can't remember the last time I saw a kestrel. Is it just my imagination or have their numbers declined and if so... has it anything to do with the arrival of the buzzards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I have noticed the same big time.

I don't think it is related to the buzzard, as I doubt a buzzard would take a kestrel and I don't believe they compete for food either (kestrel would go for very small rodents, and buzzards for bigger rats/rabbits, etc), but I could be mistaken.

Not sure what's causing it other than the usual reasons i.e. secondary poisoning, shooting, prey habitat loss, etc, but the significant decrease observed over the last few years in concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

gzoladz wrote: »
    I have noticed the same big time.

I don't think it is related to the buzzard, as I doubt a buzzard would take a kestrel and I don't believe they compete for food either (kestrel would go for very small rodents, and buzzards for bigger rats/rabbits, etc), but I could be mistaken.

Not sure what's causing it other than the usual reasons i.e. secondary poisoning, shooting, prey habitat loss, etc, but the significant decrease observed over the last few years in concerning.

Yes - this is a big issue for them(as they pretty much have the same diet as Barn Owls)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

But was that not always an issue for them? Why the recent (last few years) decline?

I honestly don't think I've seen one in the whole of 2020.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i saw two this year i think. both while out cycling around north county dublin.

i saw two this year i think. both while out cycling around north county dublin.
    That would have been two a day 15 years ago. From what I've read the last few days, they are in serious decline for a variety of reason. Such a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Spotted one hovering this afternoon just past where the Howth Road starts with the James Larkin Rd. Nice to see. Not seen one in a while.

whodafunk wrote: »
    Spotted one hovering this afternoon just past where the Howth Road starts with the James Larkin Rd. Nice to see. Not seen one in a while.

Coincidentally, I saw one in Donabate on Thursday, I had not seen one in months either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I see 7 different red tail kites on my daily 5 mile walk in rural N County Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

We always had them here as they hovered over the bogland nearby but I haven't seen one in years. We now have lots of Buzzards. Could one cause the other to leave an area or compete for the same prey?

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I see 7 different red tail kites on my daily 5 mile walk in rural N County Dublin
    Lucky you! I've spotted, what I presume is the same one, several times in the Ashbourne area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a kite seemingly resident not far from ashbourne. often see it.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    We always had them here as they hovered over the bogland nearby but I haven't seen one in years. We now have lots of Buzzards. Could one cause the other to leave an area or compete for the same prey?

Not really

Kestrels depend alot more on small live prey like mice, frogs etc. Buzzards are much more scavengers and when they do hunt would take bigger prey than Kestrels such as rabbits,crows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Can't find anything on it now but remember reading that Buzzards moving into an area will affect smaller birds of prey and they will vacate. Will try and dig it out.

Mimon wrote: »
    Can't find anything on it now but remember reading that Buzzards moving into an area will affect smaller birds of prey and they will vacate. Will try and dig it out.

Well its the natural order of things - Kestrels more or less had the skies to themselves most of the 20th centaury due to the extinction of larger BOP's. Its a bit like current fox numbers being 10 times their natural level due to the extinction of wolves and other top predators on this island. Padraic Fogarty outlines this in detail in his most recent book on Irish wildlife

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Well its the natural order of things - Kestrels more or less had the skies to themselves most of the 20th centaury due to the extinction of larger BOP's. Its a bit like current fox numbers being 10 times their natural level due to the extinction of wolves and other top predators on this island. Padraic Fogarty outlines this in detail in his most recent book on Irish wildlife

Plenty around Cork County

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Spotted 10 Buzzards and 1 Kestrel along motorway between Kilkenny/Carlow/Kildare today

Well, after not seeing a Kestrel all year we were spoilt yesterday with one hovering in the field outside my folks dining room window. It spent well over an hour scanning the field up and down, back and forth. Didn't see it get anything but it wasn't from the lack of trying.

Got 2 yesterday, one near Sneem and one near Moll's Gap.

Advertisement