Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job Probation

• 29-11-2020 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Anyone have their Probation suspended in the Civil Service during Covid 19

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Moved from Personal Issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭Augme

If you aren't working full time hours or can't do the work you were hired to do full time they I can understand why they would be able to suspend your suspension. If you are working from home and are doing the same job/tasks that you would in the office then there is no reason probation should be suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Quite the opposite happened in one department that shall remain nameless. They shortened people's probation. Get on to your union.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭doc22

Quite the opposite happened in one department that shall remain nameless. They shortened people's probation. Get on to your union.

Why would they do this?

doc22 wrote: »
    Why would they do this?

I've yet to make it to the point in the Civil Service where I can apply such 'logic'. Perhaps there's a course I can go on or perhaps a partial lobotomy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭dodi1973

Hi Samuel I got letter in June saying that my Probation was suspended from 23 March as I had no remote access and would recommence on return is .Back in office since July doing two days one week and three the following not my choice either. So unsure how long I am there have they me on part time does HR know I am back as got no confirmation saying my probation had recommenced three month review done in April none done since only person in office at my level so it tough not to rock the boat :(

dodi1973 wrote: »
    Hi Samuel I got letter in June saying that my Probation was suspended from 23 March as I had no remote access and would recommence on return is .Back in office since July doing two days one week and three the following not my choice either. So unsure how long I am there have they me on part time does HR know I am back as got no confirmation saying my probation had recommenced three month review done in April none done since only person in office at my level so it tough not to rock the boat :(

In fairness we were all in the office when this happened so it is different. Chances of you failing probation if they're not regularly doing reviews with you is nil.

But iam sure they still have to be done in order to be made permanent?

dodi1973 wrote: »
    But iam sure they still have to be done in order to be made permanent?

If they've not made you aware of an issue you can't be expected to rectify it and I'd like to see HR side with the idiot line manager that tries to get rid of someone without doing probation reviews. Clarify what your probation status is with your local HR and politely ask your line manager about the reviews.

Ya it is one big mess just wanted to drr was there any other dep of ppl that it has happened to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

dodi1973 wrote:
    Anyone have their Probation suspended in the Civil Service during Covid 19

I was brought in for brexit and my probation was ruberstamped last summer, get onto HR there is no precedence for that

fergus1001 wrote: »
    I was brought in for brexit and my probation was ruberstamped last summer, get onto HR there is no precedence for that
    Thanks fergus it just hard when u the only person at your grade in the office and line manager not the most approachable

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scouseouse

In fairness we were all in the office when this happened so it is different. Chances of you failing probation if they're not regularly doing reviews with you is nil.

This happened to me in a HEI role in 2017. No regular reviews until after my contracted probation period (6 months) had expired, but i was still on probation which was extended to 12 months. I would advise contacting the union and tell them about the situation.

Advertisement