Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ddont give this to your dog!

• 22-11-2020 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hai.. This is my first time having a dog! Its golden retriever.. Can I feed my dog with bones as snacks? I read about it that it's actually not good, unless if I give edible bones..
    You know, the one that you buy at the pet store.. A little confuse here.. Any suggestion? But for sure dont give any sharp bones..!!

ngcb5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭con747

scilover wrote: »
    Hai.. This is my first time having a dog! Its golden retriever.. Can I feed my dog with bones as snacks? I read about it that it's actually not good, unless if I give edible bones..
    You know, the one that you buy at the pet store.. A little confuse here.. Any suggestion? But for sure dont give any sharp bones..!!

ngcb5

Have a look here. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058111943

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Chicken bones splinter easily. I wouldnt give them to the dog to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

i dont give my dogs bones but as a treat now and again they get a raw chicken wing

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

best bone for a dog is a fresh soup bone its the shin of the cow or a fresh knuckle almost impossible to get the cooked ones are so over cooked & over processed that they are brittle and sharp best avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

My lad loves the filled bones from homestore as a treat. It's great if we've to leave him alone for a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Do not give your dog any cooked bones including the ones you buy at the petshop. You can feed size appropriate raw bones such as chicken legs or necks. Just make sure the dog doesn’t try to swallow them whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

best bone for a dog is a fresh soup bone its the shin of the cow or a fresh knuckle almost impossible to get the cooked ones are so over cooked & over processed that they are brittle and sharp best avoided.

I’d disagree - they’re not recommended on lots of groups except for bone broth as they can break teeth and the fat content of the marrow can cause issues..

OP I have a raw fed retriever.. any non-weight bearing raw bone is generally fine. The exception to the weight bearing rule would be chicken legs as they’re so soft and don’t splinter when raw. I joint the chicken when I cook it so I can keep the wings and back for Bailey lol. I’d recommend chicken legs to start with for a retriever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

tk123 wrote: »
    I’d disagree - they’re not recommended on lots of groups except for bone broth as they can break teeth and the fat content of the marrow can cause issues..

OP I have a raw fed retriever.. any non-weight bearing raw bone is generally fine. The exception to the weight bearing rule would be chicken legs as they’re so soft and don’t splinter when raw. I joint the chicken when I cook it so I can keep the wings and back for Bailey lol. I’d recommend chicken legs to start with for a retriever.

Agree and for cats the same. My six cats each get a raw chicken portion almost daily bone and all. Never a worry and their teeth are grand.

Maybe the title of the thread needs changing slightly?

Advertisement