Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First wrestling show you attended

Options
  • 21-11-2020 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭

Just a random thread...
    I recently came across some old tickets of the WWF June 1995 show at the point I was at as a kid. Funny that I still have them and they are in mint condition (kept them in an envelope all these years)

Great show. Seeing Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker and so many more.
    Always will remember the spot Michaels did at the start of his match. Earl Hebner was the ref and was patting down each wrestler (it was Shawn Vs IRS) and every time Earl walked away Shawn would gesture to the crowd "come on" with his hand. Crowd cheers. Earl wags his finger saying don't do that. It's cheesy and stupid looking back and doesn't make sense but it was funny :pac:

The night ended with The Fink saying "and don't forget Dublin we would be back next year" - ya lied to us Fink :pac:

So what was your first show you attended?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Dublin house show where Seth Rollins suffered knee injury.

WWA in 2001 - http://www.profightdb.com/cards/wwa/dublin-show-november-3901-14031.html

State of the card looking back now :D but I started watching wrestling in 97 and the WWF and WCW never came over in that era so I couldn't wait to see a show over here finally with some semi decent names. Always remember Nathan Jones being announced from "Dublin, Ireland" to get a pop from the crowd haha

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Think I saw one at a holiday camp in Wales many years ago. Tiny crowd, and all I knew was WWF from Sky One on Saturday mornings, so I hated every minute of it. :pac:

Went to OTT's (I think) first show in Dolan's in Limerick a few years ago and have been hooked ever since. They've brought in some incredible talent from all around the world.

I've still never been to a WWE show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

IWW in Ormonde Hotel Kilkenny in 2005 i think.

Johnny Storm was amused with us thinking we were smart shouting for him to chop the irish dragon. He gleefully obliged and chopped the ****e out of the future Terry Thatcher.

Had recently got a dvd of Backyard wrestling 2 and so meeting M Dogg 20 was a delight. I remember him being shocked i knew who Josh Prohibition. Being 16 at the time i was blown away meeting Johnny Storm and M Dogg 20, due to wrestling channel stuff.

Little did I know the main event would include future WWE Champion Shemus, i think he took on Vid Vain.

I remeber CJ Summers also being a Matt Hardy knock off.

2007 or 08 IWW came back with El Generico, Kid Kash and Tracey Smoothers which was cool. But for the first time I seen a lad from kilkenny get in the ring....the undeniable Conor Hurley, think he went up against Ballymun Bruiser!

This link is a cool blast from the past-
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2055082781&page=18

• Registered Users Posts: 60,351 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Local Youth Centre in the mid 80's the main event was Fit Finlay with his wife Princess Paula vs I don't remember.

The card was made up of a load World of Sport wrestlers that were on HTV at the time.

We all went to see Fit and Princess Paula and seeing them was all that mattered.

• Advertisement

WWA in 2001 - http://www.profightdb.com/cards/wwa/dublin-show-november-3901-14031.html

State of the card looking back now :D but I started watching wrestling in 97 and the WWF and WCW never came over in that era so I couldn't wait to see a show over here finally with some semi decent names. Always remember Nathan Jones being announced from "Dublin, Ireland" to get a pop from the crowd haha

Jeremy Borash doing live commentary at ringside as they were going to sell it as a PPV.

They also had a large screen and that’s when I realised everything on screen seems a lot faster than it actually does in the ring.

Jeremy Borash doing live commentary at ringside as they were going to sell it as a PPV.

Lawler was supposed to be on commentary with him if I remember correctly but he signed back with WWF around that time. Think Konnan was on commentary with JB in the end.

Highlight of the night though was seeing Bret hart who was "WWA commissioner".

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kennage

My first one was in The Point in either November 04 or around April 05 I can't remember exactly, Undertaker was there it was amazing seeing him, he closed out the show I believe & then at the very end theannounced they were coming back in June 05 in the RDS with a triple threat for the WWE Title with Stone Cold as special guest ref & the place went absolutely mental as you'd expect, the show in the RDS was so good too!

Lawler was supposed to be on commentary with him if I remember correctly but he signed back with WWF around that time. Think Konnan was on commentary with JB in the end.

Ye it was Konnan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Really great youtube piece on WWA think it was done by Wrestle with Wregret maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Sirsok wrote: »
    IWW in Ormonde Hotel Kilkenny in 2005 i think.

Johnny Storm was amused with us thinking we were smart shouting for him to chop the irish dragon. He gleefully obliged and chopped the ****e out of the future Terry Thatcher.

Had recently got a dvd of Backyard wrestling 2 and so meeting M Dogg 20 was a delight. I remember him being shocked i knew who Josh Prohibition. Being 16 at the time i was blown away meeting Johnny Storm and M Dogg 20, due to wrestling channel stuff.

Little did I know the main event would include future WWE Champion Shemus, i think he took on Vid Vain.

I remeber CJ Summers also being a Matt Hardy knock off.

2007 or 08 IWW came back with El Generico, Kid Kash and Tracey Smoothers which was cool. But for the first time I seen a lad from kilkenny get in the ring....the undeniable Conor Hurley, think he went up against Ballymun Bruiser!

This link is a cool blast from the past-
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2055082781&page=18

If that was the tour after the first supershow then it was the original Irish dragon, I remember a few of us from here heading to waterford to see raven be a lazy prick.......

I think my first was an orig Williams tribute show in 99? Where undertaker and kane were the same lad and orig did live commentary over the mic.......

"he hit him with the chair"
    Rev acts oblivious even though everyone in the building heard it.

There was also a heel in an nwo tee who told us irish pricks to shut the **** up.

Fairly sure they just used the boxing ring as well......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Kennage wrote: »
    My first one was in The Point in either November 04 or around April 05 I can't remember exactly, Undertaker was there it was amazing seeing him, he closed out the show I believe & then at the very end theannounced they were coming back in June 05 in the RDS with a triple threat for the WWE Title with Stone Cold as special guest ref & the place went absolutely mental as you'd expect, the show in the RDS was so good too!

The pop that Stone Cold got still gives me goosebumps!The place went absolutely nuts!Seeing over 20000 people being overjoyed at seeing Stone Cold in the flesh was one of the greatest things I have ever experienced!Still get chills!

Still laugh at the end when Cena was having a'Steveweiser' after he won against JBL and Kurt Angle with Stone Cold and got stunned out of his boots!Knew it was coming but funny as hell!

Stone Cold genuinely looked like he was close to tears from the love everyone in the place was giving him while he was on the mic after the match!Even 15 years later I am beaming talking about it!

It was so special being there and seeing Austin and I still feel so lucky to of been there!

Heel Eddie Guerrero was brilliant too and feel really lucky to of been there to see him as well with his passing being only a few months later!He is such a legend and was taken far too soon!Really loved 'Latino Heat'!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

My first one was also 05 in the Point. November I think just after Eddie passed as the crowd was chanting his name. Absolute dirt seats though right at the top behind a pillar so couldn't see anything. Then I got conned out of my seat by someone who had a bum ticket (he told me he'd just be a few minutes and come back, hey I was young :p).

I spent some time wondering the foyer when I bumped into someone I knew, they were locked and said come with us we'll get you into where we're sitting....and they did! Just a few rows away from the ring. All I remember then is the crowd screaming wooooooooo at Ric Flair to a ridiculous degree. I think oul Naitch was actually getting pissed off with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

1994 show in the point

Remember it was the moment I realised how much I loved hbk and not just hate him cause he was a heel

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kennage

The pop that Stone Cold got still gives me goosebumps!The place went absolutely nuts!Seeing over 20000 people being overjoyed at seeing Stone Cold in the flesh was one of the greatest things I have ever experienced!Still get chills!

Still laugh at the end when Cena was having a'Steveweiser' after he won against JBL and Kurt Angle with Stone Cold and got stunned out of his boots!Knew it was coming but funny as hell!

Stone Cold genuinely looked like he was close to tears from the love everyone in the place was giving him while he was on the mic after the match!Even 15 years later I am beaming talking about it!

It was so special being there and seeing Austin and I still feel so lucky to of been there!

Heel Eddie Guerrero was brilliant too and feel really lucky to of been there to see him as well with his passing being only a few months later!He is such a legend and was taken far too soon!Really loved 'Latino Heat'!

The atmosphere was unreal! I was about 13 at the time but I had been watching for years, loved seeing Stone Cold so much & Eddie in the ladder match wasnt it? Think it was the first time I had seen Pyro ect being used here too, Would be great to see them doing another big outdoor show here one day, I would love to see footage of that night but the quality is so bad unfortunately, ancient camera phones :(

I remember Austin countin how many pints of Guinness he was gonna have hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

My first show was the Undertaker RIP tour in the 3Arena in November 2009, was great seeing Taker in person. Quite unusual was both Raw and SD rosters held shows in the 3Arena that month (Raw one was headlined by DX, sadly didn't make it for that one)

Remember won tickets to the RDS show in 2005 but bloody found out too late and couldn't go. Seeing Stone Cold, Kurt Angle and Eddie would of been amazing

Next up is the NXT UK takeover if it ever bloody happens :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

I must be old because mine was the point depot in 93 I think. Can't remember much about it though unfortunately but the merch was expensive even then. Macho man was on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bob Gray

Kennage wrote: »

I remember Austin countin how many pints of Guinness he was gonna have hahaha

And then when he was done with all the Guinness, he'd have himself a beer. Absolutely brilliant.

My first was in 2004 in the Point, hope it's okay to post this link:
    https://prowrestling.fandom.com/wiki/WWE_European_Tour_(May_2004)_-_Dublin.2

Couldn't believe I got to see Ric Flair in my first live show, whooooo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

First was in (i think) Tubbercurry in Sligo in the early 80s. Headlined by Giant Haystacks. My only memories of the night are how massive haystacks looked to 5 or 6 year old me and a wrestler called The Mighty Chang crying for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Mine was quite good, 20,000 outdoors in the RDS in June 2005. Headlined by Cena vs JBL vs Angle for the title with Stone Cold as the special ref, unreal

Eddie vs Rey was brilliant too, Eddie was such a bástard at the time

http://www.mopsquad.com/artman2/publish/WWE_Recaps_24/WWE_SmackDown_House_Show_-_June_18th_2005_2825.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

WWF @ New Haven, CT - Coliseum - July 15, 2001 (5,008)

WCW Cruiserweight Champion Billy Kidman v WWF Light Heavyweight Champion X-Pac
    Stacy Kiebler & Torrie Wilsonv Stratus & Lita
    WWF Tag Team Champion Farooq v WCW Tag Team Champion Chuck Palumbo
    WCW Tag Team Champion Sean O'Haire v WWF Tag Team Champion Bradshaw
    Perry Saturn v Justin Credible
    Raven v Billy Gunn
    The Undertaker & Kane v Diamond Dallas Page & Mike Awesome
    WWF IC Champion Albert v Hugh Morrus
    Chris Jericho v Shawn Stasiak
    The Dudley Boyz v Matt & Jeff Hardy v Edge & Christian v Lance Storm & Chris Kanyon
    WCW World Champion Booker v Kurt Angle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Mine was quite good, 20,000 outdoors in the RDS in June 2005. Headlined by Cena vs JBL vs Angle for the title with Stone Cold as the special ref, unreal

Eddie vs Rey was brilliant too, Eddie was such a bástard at the time

http://www.mopsquad.com/artman2/publish/WWE_Recaps_24/WWE_SmackDown_House_Show_-_June_18th_2005_2825.htm

I got a kick out of this part of the review.
    John Cena came out to a great reaction but I'm not that big a Cena fan. Little kids were chanting for Cena and if that's his fanbase, he's in trouble.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Mine was June 18th 2005, WWE House Show in the RDS. Main event was JBL vs Kurt Angle vs John Cena with SCSA serving as guest ref.

Also got to see Rey vs Eddie. Crowd loved him even though he was a heel, in the middle of his "I'm your Papi" storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

My first one was also 05 in the Point. November I think just after Eddie passed as the crowd was chanting his name. Absolute dirt seats though right at the top behind a pillar so couldn't see anything. Then I got conned out of my seat by someone who had a bum ticket (he told me he'd just be a few minutes and come back, hey I was young :p).

I spent some time wondering the foyer when I bumped into someone I knew, they were locked and said come with us we'll get you into where we're sitting....and they did! Just a few rows away from the ring. All I remember then is the crowd screaming wooooooooo at Ric Flair to a ridiculous degree. I think oul Naitch was actually getting pissed off with it!
    This was also my first (and last) show I've been to. Angle and HBK had a great match. Cena vs HHH Street fight was good too. Horrified mother with her son next to me was asking if it was real blood :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,013 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

IWW show in the Basketball Arena in 2002 with Jake the Snake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭NITRO95

First show I went to was some Orig Williams show in summer 92 and then WCW on St Patricks Day in 93

• Registered Users Posts: 22,014 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

2001 Smackdown before the No Mercy PPV 1st time Vincent K McMahon made an appearance in Montreal since the night of Bret screwed Bret. Some atmosphere

Advertisement