Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best film from 2019/2020 that you've seen?

Options
  • 21-11-2020 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭

Looking for a very strong Film to stream tonight

Drama preferred, but open to other genres

No Arthouse type stuff please. It's Saturday night and I don't want to work the grey matter too much ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

The Irishman, 1917, El Camino, Peanut Butter Falcon, Cold War.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

It's a bit late for your needs, OP, but I guess Knives Out would be my pick if we're excluding the likes of Parasite on arthouse grounds. It's a very fun whodunnit set in a mansion full of the squabbling children and grandchildren of a billionaire whose death is being investigated by Daniel Craig as a sort of southern gentleman Miss Marple. It was very popular, so this isn't an eccentric recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Joker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

Three Billboards...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MosherRock426

Joker, three billboards, uncut gems, at eternitys gate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Devil All The Time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭crushproof

Quick trio which I can think of that I really enjoyed over the past year - Knives out, Ford v Ferrari, The Banker

Oh, and Booksmart for the 2020's Superbad / American pie style of comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

You'd be doing yourself a disservice as a film fan if you didn't watch something like Parasite, Portrait Of A Lady On Fire or The Lighthouse. All wonderful films.

Marriage Story, Uncut Gems and The Irishman are the only "conventional" movies I can think of from the top of my head that I'd recommend from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Good: Tolkien; Ad Astra; Sorry We Missed You; Martin Eden; Ford vs Ferrari; Marriage Story; Bombshell; The Traitor.
    Best: 1917.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Marriage Story. Certainly not my usual genre either.

Everything else was at best, good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Richard Jewell was the best of the good. Ford vs ferrari was an enjoyable popcorn movie, although the tendency in the racing to portray gear changes on straights as “turbo boosts” seemed to be something Americans who don’t “drive stick” might find believable.

Us was overrated and I only got through 45 mins of it.

Just Mercy showed Michael B Jordan hasn’t really got the acting chops for that kind of role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Marriage Story. Certainly not my usual genre either.

Everything else was at best, good.

Good film. But don't watch it with the Mrs if in an unsteady relationship.

It cut waaayyyy to close to the bone for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

So hard to chose from just a few. Off the top of my head I'd say Parasite, The Painted Bird, Possessor Uncut, Relic, Midsommar, The Lighthouse, Palm Springs, The Platform, Danger Close, The Devil all the time.

Hate making lists because I know I'm forgetting some tremendous movies. There are loads of "good" movies I can think of, but all the above are ones I thought were genuinely excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Helen Highwater

Michael Winterbottom's Greed was a great piece of satire, Steve Coogan on excellent form.

Unfortunately it got a very limited release just before lockdown, probably because the first face you saw on screen was Caroline Flack in a tiny cameo as herself and it was released the week she died.

That aside, it was an interesting and savage look at the self-made super rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Michael Winterbottom's Greed was a great piece of satire, Steve Coogan on excellent form.

Unusual very first post to make on Boards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Us was overrated and I only got through 45 mins of it

Well you've no business rating it tbf.

Parasite (very accessible imo - you certainly don't have to be a "world cinema" bore to appreciate it),

Palm Springs

Dark Waters

Official Secrets

Once upon a time in Hollywood

Midsommar

The Devil All the time

Uncut Gems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭budgemook

Some good movie ideas on here I meant to watch but missed.

Into the Spider verse
    Sorry to bother you (although maybe a bit arty farty for the OP requirements!)

adding these to the list

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I watch Jojo Rabbit on Sky Cinema last month.

Was really bowled over by it. Would be a regular cinema goer and dismissed it entirely thinking it was one of those Wes Anderson-like overly "kooky" comedies.

The jokes were off the wall but all the laughs landed solid as a rock. But what hit the hardest is the drama of the whole piece. It certainly is a movie that stays with you. The last quarter of the film is a true masterclass in storytelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Helen Highwater

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Unusual very first post to make on Boards ;)

Why so?

(Actually, not my very first post, posted a couple on one of the other film threads, not sure why they aren't showing.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

I can suggest you Summerland, Coded Bias and Greenland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ford v Ferrari / Le Mans '66 is one of the few I can remember seeing

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement