Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Releases 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,010 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Omackeral wrote: »
    Pregnant Maria Kanellis released too. That's potentially a bad optic.

Did she not give birth recently

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Just seen the stock is up

And there’s the reason there doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,832 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know it's saying these are temporary, but I'm sure a lot of these guys are sure they won't be back.

I'm sure some are looking to the likes of AEW but they're probably in the same boat, trying not to let people go.
    So unless they're someone that a company really wants to secure, I doubt they'll be getting work.
    I expect that interim Cruiserweight tournament will fall under Drake's current contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Poor Drake, they used him so much at first across multiple shows only to be dropped as an expendable.

And there's Heath Slater, a bloke who kept his head down and an eager team player for a decade only to be dropped on a whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,323 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Honestly AEW should stay away from 95% of these releases.

• Advertisement

Ryder gone

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

sky88 wrote: »
    Just seen the stock is up

And there’s the reason there doing it

Is anyone surprised? Even Dave Meltzer is criticizing the cuts, saying they didn't have to make the cuts/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,090 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Awwww God damn poor Ryder that's awful

• Registered Users Posts: 22,010 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Finlay getting all the love on twitter for what he done with the womens division

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Zack Ryder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭ThePott

No Way Jose too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

No Way Jose gone. Just after he flew in for Raw.

Remember meeting Finley and Regal in GameStop in Henry Street a long time ago absolute gents

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

ThePott wrote: »
    No Way Jose too

No way?

Oomph if this is true.

https://twitter.com/WrestleVotes/status/1250507915867414529
    All I can say is wow at this point. The number of people, staff + talent, let go will be in the hundreds when it’s all set and done. Well into the hundreds. A dark day in WWE history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

A reminder WWE has excess of $500 million in cash reserves and Vince personally has in excess of $300 million in cash left over from his stock sale prior to the XFL.

But still, it was very important to guarantee a 9 figure profit.

Lithium93_ wrote: »

I think he means more than 100. Well into the hundreds implies 2 or 300 plus which is more than half the staff of the company.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

A good half the guys released today are ones I’m shocked they lasted as long as they did. Primo and Epico, Jose, Ryder....lads who are never on TV, and were only kept to pad out house shows that are no longer running.

I’d say anyone who hasn’t been on TV much recently will be nervous today. WWE have been hoarding talent like Pokemon, but this is making them question the value of a lot of these guys, and the fact is most so far have zero genuine value.

Sucks for the individuals though. Drakes video is heartbreaking. Hopefully, when things settle, he and others will help boost the indy scene which will be hit hard.

Vince declared chapter 11 for XFL recently as was stated here too the stock is worth almost 1/3 of last year's value plus the massive losses in the past three months due to Covid19

WWE makes a loss running live events. Have done for the past year.

They have still been getting their network money and their TV money.

They will have been soft on merchandise and potentially lost some network subs, plus the Mania live gate. So all in perhaps they were looking at $120 million in profit rather than $160 million.

My heart bleeds.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    A good half the guys released today are ones I’m shocked they lasted as long as they did. Primo and Epico, Jose, Ryder....lads who are never on TV, and were only kept to pad out house shows that are no longer running.

I’d say anyone who hasn’t been on TV much recently will be nervous today. WWE have been hoarding talent like Pokemon, but this is making them question the value of a lot of these guys, and the fact is most so far have zero genuine value.

Sucks for the individuals though. Drakes video is heartbreaking. Hopefully, when things settle, he and others will help boost the indy scene which will be hit hard.

They are all big boys and girls of course, aware that they were signing contracts just to be taken off the market and away from the competition, but to do this where most of them will have no chance of picking up bookings indefinitely, is callous in the extreme.

I'm sure there will be one or two along shortly justifying it from a business perspective.

• Advertisement

Andrea Listenberger, a WWE writer was let go as well:
    Lots of people getting let go at WWE today and regrettably, I am one of them. But I'm proud of the work I've been able to do since starting in Dec., and glad that the storyline I worked on resonated with so many people. That's what writing is about for me. #OtisandMandyForever

Damn that's very sad I watch now and again not nearly what I used to good luck to all of them being let go sad times.

They are all big boys and girls of course, aware that they were signing contracts just to be taken off the market and away from the competition, but to do this where most of them will have no chance of picking up bookings indefinitely, is callous in the extreme.

I'm sure there will be one or two along shortly justifying it from a business perspective.

It’s not hard to justify from a business perspective.

Many of the releases today did nothing but provide fodder for live shows...which likely won’t be back for a solid year. They would literally have been paying people to sit at home. This isn’t a short term move for them. They’re looking at the next 12 months.

It’s a horrible move, morally. The optics are awful.

But since when do WWE care bout optics? They spend most weeks berating the fans. If you’re surprised by all of these callous releases, you’ve not been following WWE for long....

It’s not hard to justify from a business perspective.

Many of the releases today did nothing but provide fodder for live shows...which likely won’t be back for a solid year. They would literally have been paying people to sit at home. This isn’t a short term move for them. They’re looking at the next 12 months.

It’s a horrible move, morally. The optics are awful.

But since when do WWE care bout optics? They spend most weeks berating the fans. If you’re surprised by all of these callous releases, you’ve not been following WWE for long....

I know it's not hard to justify from a business perspective; that doesn't mean now is the time for it. That's not directed at you it just annoys me that there will be people justifying it to their echo chamber.

When it happens to an ordinary joe they're rightfully given the respect they deserve and don't have to listen to arseholes justify them losing their job. Should be no different here just because they're in the public eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

sky88 wrote: »

Seriously, or Rusev's trolly sense of humour at play here?

Damn, that’s a shame.

On the other hand, he’s someone AEW should be getting in touch with ASAP. He’s shown the crowd adore him.

• Advertisement

Damn, that’s a shame.

On the other hand, he’s someone AEW should be getting in touch with ASAP. He’s shown the crowd adore him.

And unlike a tye Dillinger type who got over for a bit he backs it up no brained to get him if he’s gone

Advertisement