Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crew cab/ passenger jeep

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Is it still worthwhile going up north?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I have a 2018 navara, It's very comfortable, quiet and smooth to drive. I had a 2012 D40 previously. The 2018 doesn't seem to have as much low down power as the 2012, possibly down to twin turbo and smaller cc, they are both the same Bhp at 190, but it just seems to lack at low rpm's, almost like turbo lag. I had the d40 for 5 years and was excellent, only thing that went on it was alternator. it was 3 years old when i got it, first thing i did was treat inside and outside of the chassis (this was before the cracked chassis issue of the older ones) best thing i could have done as i would say its saved it. The 2018 scares me some times with all the electrics it has (euro 6 so its full of sensors and emissions crap). I don't tow anything so can't comment on how it will perform there. I carry my enduro bike in the back and thats about it. Economy wise its about the same as the D40, I get on average 32 MPG, best I got was 42, worst was 25 so all depends on how you drive it. They make a 160 bhp single turbo version but i'd say it would be a dog of a thing to drive.

They look well finished off both inside and outside . It’s the thing I don’t like about the hilux why don’t they give them the same finish inside as the land cruiser

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

What’s the cost of getting the chassis looked after the way you did it or galvanise it. I’ve a 07 from new and it’s at the stage now that I either change or spend money on the chassis

For my own, I can't give you a figure due to the circumstances. There was more done to it than just the chassis. I did some of the mullocking myself and had help with bits that were beyond me. I had the free use of a lift to get under it and did it in free time over four weeks. Welding was about €200, then the various chemicals, maybe €300.
    My friends galvanizing was ~€400, and he had it sand blasted first.
    I know with other repairs etc. it probably came to €3000. I also put a Toyota steering rack into. Probably the only genuine one ordered from Ireland this year! Price wasn't a consideration given the alternative options, my faith in the machine and the way I maintain it. If it lasts over two years without more welding I'll be happy, and I think I should get longer with a bit more.
    Given what we know now of them and what we can see of the newer models, I think a lot of them were scrapped much too easily.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

ruwithme wrote: »
    Get yourself down to a few dealers Nissan,mitsubishi,Toyota, isuzu . Find the time if you can drive em all . You will soon narrow it down.even if your not going new.

Toyota are not what they once were. Check out the chassis on any 2nd hand ones. Rust on some even fresh would surprise anyone.

Isuzu d max here. 1.9 good economy. Super steering lock, plenty of room front and back.
    If you've a heavy right foot, maybe not for you. 3500kg braked towing capacity.

You're not wrong there - had our 2011 Hilux fail the CVRT this year for extensive chassis and underbody rust. It is used to travel around to sites, is maintained as per recommended schedules, not used off road or near the sea, and there was no mention of rust in last years test! Think we'll be replacing it with something else.

Edit - just spotted the other posters with similar stories there - it's obviously more widespread than I'd imagined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

RandRuns wrote: »
    You're not wrong there - had our 2011 Hilux fail the CVRT this year for extensive chassis and underbody rust. It is used to travel around to sites, is maintained as per recommended schedules, not used off road or near the sea, and there was no mention of rust in last years test! Think we'll be replacing it with something else.

Edit - just spotted the other posters with similar stories there - it's obviously more widespread than I'd imagined.

I think since the big snowfall in 2010 they have a lot more snow ploughs and gritters on the road using more salt than they ever have in the past, It's really not helping with corrosion, just a observation on my part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

someone close to me has a business class landcruiser five seater , its extremely dull to drive and is actually quite gutless , smaller engine and lower BHP than the older two seater SWB he had (v 2.8 versus 3 litre and 177 bhp versus 190 bhp on the old one )

emissions rules are making big diesel engines too emasculated

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    someone close to me has a business class landcruiser five seater , its extremely dull to drive and is actually quite gutless , smaller engine and lower BHP than the older two seater SWB he had (v 2.8 versus 3 litre and 177 bhp versus 190 bhp on the old one )

They weight 2.5 tonne and are permanent 4WD ......... they are dead as fnck and a really dull drive but you wouldn't imagine them to be anything else surely at the quoted bhp.
    Their plus is the torque and the simplicity of a 4 cylinder :)

I drove a few over the years......... most recently in 2018 before I bought the Sorento, I don't tow so the Sorento was a better option for me. But the recent LC are much the same to drive as 15 year old versions IMO.

RandRuns wrote: »

That’s disappointing. Were you able to get work done and get her passed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

That’s disappointing. Were you able to get work done and get her passed

She's in getting the work done at the moment - mechanic reckons it's the worst rust he's seen since Datsuns were a thing! The panel in below the radiator literally crumbled apart when removed, and both sills are completely rotten.
    Very disappointing for a Toyota. Given the price commanded by Hiluxes and Landcruisers second hand, they are living on past glories. I drove a new Landcruiser to evaluate as a possible replacement, and was very unimpressed - felt underpowered and flimsy.

Augeo wrote: »
    They weight 2.5 tonne and are permanent 4WD ......... they are dead as fnck and a really dull drive but you wouldn't imagine them to be anything else surely at the quoted bhp.
    Their plus is the torque and the simplicity of a 4 cylinder :)

I drove a few over the years......... most recently in 2018 before I bought the Sorento, I don't tow so the Sorento was a better option for me. But the recent LC are much the same to drive as 15 year old versions IMO.

well ive driven both this three year old five seater and his older SWB , the SWB was far nippier taking off

the landcruiser are unfailingly reliable , if i was spending someone elses money however , id go for the likes of the discovery

not sure what you mean about the landcruiser being " permanent 4WD " ? , they arent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Neighbour had his own 2007 landcruiser fail the test last year with "extensive chassis corrosion".

Spent 500 euro getting one side of the chassis played, and told me that when the garage cut the rusty pieces out, the chassis rail was packed solid with mud, which had built up over the years.
    Got through the test but was advised the other side would need doing next year.
    Sold it with 9 months test...
    Had a bit of injector trouble a couple of years back as well, which was an expensive fix also.

well ive driven both this three year old five seater and his older SWB , the SWB was far nippier taking off

the landcruiser are unfailingly reliable , if i was spending someone elses money however , id go for the likes of the discovery

not sure what you mean about the landcruiser being " permanent 4WD " ? , they arent

An old swb is under 2T weight..... It's a fair bit lighter.

"not sure what you mean about the landcruiser being " permanent 4WD " ? , they arent" what?
    When the centre diff isn't locked 40 percent the torque goes to the front axle and 60 percent to the rear...... The thing is never in 2wd. I'm obviously not suggesting the centre diff is locked permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

My comments weren't meant directly in reply to you, in fact you've raised a point that I've always made about buying Toyota jeeps. The best value is in new or nearly new as anything in the second hand category is mentle money especially for anything clean or low milage.

The OP has never disclosed there budget despite being questioned on it. It's very hard to give advice when we don't know if the OP is looking to spend €5,000 or €35,000. It's hard to justify anything more than a middle of the road jeep if it's going to spend the biggest part of the week parked up. There's plenty of early 2000 reg landcruisers through the country that would do the OPs work.

Sorry guys for not keeping up to date with the thread, I should have siad in the original post I would be trading in a 06 landcruiser with 17000km on clock which I should get a decent trade in for or I might even try and sell private. I want to upgrade now because I feel If I don't in a few years time I would have to part with a lot more money to get anything decent.

An old swb is under 2T weight..... It's a fair bit lighter.

"not sure what you mean about the landcruiser being " permanent 4WD " ? , they arent" what?
    When the centre diff isn't locked 40 percent the torque goes to the front axle and 60 percent to the rear...... The thing is never in 2wd. I'm obviously not suggesting the centre diff is locked permanently.

My mistake

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Sorry guys for not keeping up to date with the thread, I should have siad in the original post I would be trading in a 06 landcruiser with 17000km on clock which I should get a decent trade in for or I might even try and sell private. I want to upgrade now because I feel If I don't in a few years time I would have to part with a lot more money to get anything decent.

You should get 8 k in a private sale for one of those , km is very low , you might miss it if you move it on ?

i would not be sure it will drop an awful lot more in value , even early noughties ones are close on 5 k , people dont care about the age of those landcruisers , in fact many see it as a badge of honour if they are kept well

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

You should get 8 k in a private sale for one of those , km is very low , you might miss it if you move it on ?

If it's got a good chassis, I'd send a bit on it to secure it and keep it.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

I’ve similar to you only 07. It would cost me 36/37k to change with a main dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,960 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If the jeep you have is that old and is in good condition you be crazy to change it for the amount of use you are using it. It will not depreciate much more over the next five years. In five years time with another 50k on it it will still be worth maybe as much as at present. Why would you part with 10k to go up 4-5 years. A lot of jeeps depreciate to a certain value and no further. They can actually start to appreciate again.

I have a Toyota Rav 2010.I bought it for 7k May 2019.It had 108k miles on it. Now it has135k miles . Looks at present prices it probably worth more now than I paid for it. I will keep it as long as it's functional. It the same with your LC you should keep it as long as it's functional.
    You could spend 10k on upgrading s few years and another 2-5k in 1-2 years time on repairs in new jeep. Any warranty you get will be minimal.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Tbh you've a better jeep than I would have suggested buying for that level of use. I think you'd be as well with your own jeep for another few years especially when it only has that level of milage. You'll struggle to buy another landcruiser with similar milage under 5 year's old and any you do find will be mentle money.

Your own jeep is probably worth €10,000 or more atm and it won't depreciate an awfull lot more in the next few years, if anything the older landcruisers are appreciating in value. It would take another €15,000 or more to buy a similar 5 year old jeep with low mileage. It's a lot of money imo for something that won't get much use for the best part of the week.

If you move up even 5 year's then your most likely to end up with a newer jeep with more work done than your own. Sub 200,000km is very little for an 06 cruiser, if looked after I don't see why it shouldn't be serviceable at it's 20th birthday. My advice would be spend a bit on your own jeep and keep the devil you know. You could end up with a bigger money pit in the next jeep that had a far harder life previously. There's a lot of lad's locally that use and abuse a jeep 7 day's a week and there driving and buying worse than your thinking of trading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

02 hilux passed just test for another year, failed on ball joints first.
    Sprayed the under body this year after power washing for a few days.
    A dirty job with no lift just using scaffold planks and a solid support one side at a time.
    All good for another few years hopefully.

Milage clock looks damaged before I bought it so god knows what she has done.

• Advertisement

Getting away with no welding is decent on an 02 to be fair.... It wasn't crumbly in places?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Getting away with no welding is decent on an 02 to be fair.... It wasn't crumbly in places?

Chassis is in great condition, no welding required.
    The early hilux are different to the land cruiser as the back end of hilux is like channel iron as opposed to box section as the land cruiser.

Neighbours 05 land cruiser failed on back end of chassis.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭French Toast

Grueller wrote: »
    I like the Toyota's, in fact if I were in the market for a jeep and the budget allowed I would buy one, but they are not the be all and end all like everyone thinks. I just think they are trading off of a reputation earned 30 years ago that may not be entirely deserved today. My opinion only.

True, they're not the be all and end all. The reputation they built up through the 90's and 00's is definitely bigger than the quality of stuff they're making today. The competition for the Landcruiser/Hilux will be closing the gap the longer time goes on, especially if the quality of Toyota stuff is decreasing which it's fair to say it is. All that considered, the same as yourself I'd sooner take a Toyota over the Nissan/Mitsubishi/etc. alternative if I was buying today.

A good few of the new 1.9 Troopers around locally. Be interesting to see how they fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I need a new jeep and/or new car, both are driven into the ground and not worth fixing. A crew cab would be ideal for the farm and kids but I travel 25,000km to work each year and put up a good share of miles on short runs to school/football etc.
    I do a lot of trailer work and ideally would like a 3 litre like a Hilux with commercial tax which will carry children and pull a trailer for 20k. Problem is it’ll cost €2500 in diesel to bring me to work each year plus the extra running costs associated with this kind of machine. Think 3/4 of this expense can go through the farm so maybe not as dear as it looks.
    Other option is to buy an older jeep and a car for 10k each.
    Any advice on what to buy? Anyone else doing similar mileage in a jeep/crew cab?

Hi, just wondering did you purchase after?

Kind of in a similar situation myself only I have a peach of SWB Landcruiser, which I think would nearly kill me to sell but I need back seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭arctictree

josephsoap wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering did you purchase after?

Kind of in a similar situation myself only I have a peach of SWB Landcruiser, which I think would nearly kill me to sell but I need back seats.

Exactly same here, have an 05 SWB land cruiser from new but really need the back seats. Are we the only european country with these ridiculous rules? I hear the jeeps all come in with back seats and they get ripped out in rosslare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

arctictree wrote: »
    Exactly same here, have an 05 SWB land cruiser from new but really need the back seats. Are we the only european country with these ridiculous rules? I hear the jeeps all come in with back seats and they get ripped out in rosslare.

I used to deal with Kanes in Granard, They converted jeeps and there was the finest of leather seats thrown out in the rain.
    Stupid waste,
    At least they saw sense with the crewcabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

wrangler wrote: »
    I used to deal with Kanes in Granard, They converted jeeps and there was the finest of leather seats thrown out in the rain.
    Stupid waste,
    At least they saw sense with the crewcabs

Saw piles of those seats in their yard years ago...
    Saw jeeps hidden in slatted sheds on out-farms in a vain attempt to keep them from Customs, after some very dodgy "converting" by the same outfit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Saw piles of those seats in their yard years ago...
    Saw jeeps hidden in slatted sheds on out-farms in a vain attempt to keep them from Customs, after some very dodgy "converting" by the same outfit...

I got a very cheap new jeep off them in 2001, the local dealers were really pissed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

So commercial tax is €333.
    1.5 litre diesels 4x4 with leather seats front and back are €280 to €200.

Is that right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭selectamatic

So commercial tax is €333.
    1.5 litre diesels 4x4 with leather seats front and back are €280 to €200.

Is that right?

Ay but you can't actually do anything with a 1.5 diesel that resembles hard farm work.

Dusters are 4x4 clios on stilts. Great for tipping about in on rough roads or even fields but that's about it.

Advertisement