Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Computer

Options
  • 01-12-2020 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi

I'm looking for a replacement for my old Garmin 500 as it only holds the charge for a few hours now.

I'd like something with a bigger screen and 10+ hours of charge.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I use an Edge 520 - which I upgraded to from a 500 a couple of years back. I don't think I've ever done 10 hours straight, but I've never had any trouble with the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

The Garmin Edge 530 is fantastic. Love it! Even the maps and routing are excellent.

Avoid the Edge 820. I had it for about 6 months before I sold it on DoneDeal. The touch screen was just awful and it's was so so so so so SLOW to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Yermander

The Garmin Edge 1030 was just on sale on chain reaction for Black Friday. Big screen and has got great reviews. Purchased and waiting on delivery myself. It came back into stock after it sold out the 1st time so could be worth putting an alert on it.

I was looking for a smaller unit like the 530 or 830 but they were so close in price I went for the 1030 in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 a_shed

Yermander wrote: »
    The Garmin Edge 1030 was just on sale on chain reaction for Black Friday. Big screen and has got great reviews. Purchased and waiting on delivery myself. It came back into stock after it sold out the 1st time so could be worth putting an alert on it.

I was looking for a smaller unit like the 530 or 830 but they were so close in price I went for the 1030 in the end.

Just checked and it's currently £468 compared to £240 for the 530 !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

I bought the 520+. I opted for that model because I wanted navigation, but I didn't want the touch screen.

It can be got for about €160-170

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BOLT is bulletproof, just putting it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Yermander

a_shed wrote: »
    Just checked and it's currently £468 compared to £240 for the 530 !

Link for £299 here but out of stock currently.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/garmin-edge-1030-cycling-computer/rp-prod166020

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I bought my 530 from Alltricks. Cheapest price I found for the bundle or the bare unit. 348 and 249 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've a Garmin 520 for the last four years and while it was fine for the first two years, I can't wait to get rid of it. Poor battery life - really bad in low temperatures. I went on a 40km spin today (elapsed time 1:51) - 100% battery at the start and 26% when I got home. Backlight off, brightness at zero. On longer spins, even in summer, I bring an external battery so I don't get caught out.

Sensors (speed, cadence, heart rate) drop out for no apparent reason. Any bit of tree cover causes the speed reading to behave erratically - shouldn't be an issue if the speed sensor would connect.

Following a course can be tedious - late turn warnings, no consistency with straight on/main road turns. The base map on the 520 is rubbish with lots of roads omitted - you'll need to load an Open Street Map for proper detail.

It has a mind of it's own when it comes to LiveTrack.

Syncing can be hit and miss (although it hasn't misbehaved in this regard for a few months).

I've tried everything over the past two years but no luck.

I'm hoping to get a Wahoo in the coming weeks.

I really couldn't recommend a Garmin 520 and my experience with the 520 has put me off Garmin altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Delighted with my new Edge 830. Excellent battery life, plenty big enough screen and some great new features that have trickled down from the 1030. I got it from Garmin with 30% off once I sent them my damaged second-hand Edge 1000. Maybe your old 500 would qualify for a similar deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have the 1000 for 4 years now. Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have a Garmin 520 for about 5 yrs now. Getting roughly 5-6 hours from a full charge. It’ll do another year or two and I’ll see what’s on the market then but possibly a 520+ model or Wahoo Bolt. I don’t want anything bigger and I have no need for colour or maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

ED E wrote: »

I concur, rock solid from Wahoo, operating from the app is so convenient and easy, terrific battery life probably because it does away with anything too fancy. Plenty of data fields, i couldn't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Was going to buy a computer but I bought a phone holder. Google maps and that sportractive app are exactly what I want so don't see the need for one as I have the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

it just gets the job done innit. charge once, use on long spins (3-4hrs) three or four times without having to recharge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭secman

2 club members having trouble with them just became suddenly unreliable randomly switching off !

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

I've been using a giant neostrack now for about a year. I have cadence and HR sensors connected and never any issues. Very happy with it. No touch screen, but it's a very solid unit with a great battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Let me just say that I firmly believe in "each to their own" but I'm just curious as to why you guys use these bike computers? I use my phone to track my cycles, but just once a month now so I can monitor my progress. I find that if I track each and every cycle, I find I end up "racing myself" each time and I don't actually enjoy the act of being on my bike out in the fresh air. Plus having a computer on my bars constantly reminding me that I'm slightly slower than last time would be a cause of stress imho. When I do my monthly tracking of my spins, my phone is left in my back pocket until I get home and see how far/fast I've gone. As my average speed is holding around 33-35kph, I'm happy enough with that. Don't think having a bike computer would make me go any faster, just make me enjoy the cycle less I think.

And I'm not having a go at those who use them, I just don't see the point.

D13exile wrote: »
    Let me just say that I firmly believe in "each to their own" but I'm just curious as to why you guys use these bike computers? I use my phone to track my cycles, but just once a month now so I can monitor my progress. I find that if I track each and every cycle, I find I end up "racing myself" each time and I don't actually enjoy the act of being on my bike out in the fresh air. Plus having a computer on my bars constantly reminding me that I'm slightly slower than last time would be a cause of stress imho. When I do my monthly tracking of my spins, my phone is left in my back pocket until I get home and see how far/fast I've gone. As my average speed is holding around 33-35kph, I'm happy enough with that. Don't think having a bike computer would make me go any faster, just make me enjoy the cycle less I think.

Very often, I'm using my bike computer to display a map of where I'm cycling, but if I know the route, I tend not to look at it too often. It's a habit to log all my activities that I carried over from running

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

secman wrote: »
    2 club members having trouble with them just became suddenly unreliable randomly switching off !
    BOLT WB15-9484 - 17 November, 2020

Added: Stability improvements

BOLT WB15-8862 - 20 October, 2020

Fixed: Old workout appearing as a new workout

BOLT WB15-8859 - 12 October, 2020

Fixed: Di2 1x gears not displaying correctly

BOLT WB15-8858 - 21 September, 2020

Sensor connection fixes and enhancements
    Stability improvements pairing TICKR over ANT+

BOLT WB15-8226 - 1 September, 2020

BOLT WB15-8223 - 25 August, 2020

Fixed: DI2 not displaying correctly on bike computers

BOLT WB15-8214 - 18 August, 2020

Added: Wheel circumference for LEV

Lots of stability fixes in the last while, they should make sure they're up to date. Never had mine crash though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,598 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's just a motivational tool for me. Nothing else. I like tracking my rides and trying to keep a consistent pace while also enjoying the fresh air and scenery.

Without my computer I'll generally be slower and with a lower cadence. Not a huge amount for either, but the computer keeps me honest I guess. It doesn't affect my enjoyment at all, I like seeing the numbers.
    I also like to see the stats at the end of a year - total distance mainly...

thejaguar wrote: »
    Without my computer I'll generally be slower and with a lower cadence. Not a huge amount for either, but the computer keeps me honest I guess. It doesn't affect my enjoyment at all, I like seeing the numbers.
    I also like to see the stats at the end of a year - total distance mainly...

That's something I forgot to add in my post. I like looking at overall figures, but one of the things I love about Garmin, is the ability to monitor mileage on gear and components.

I have an overall mileage count for the runners I wear, I have an overall mileage covered on my bike, but I've new tyres and a new chain on the bike, and I can track the mileage on these components separately

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I can understand all those arguments but for me personally, having a speed readout in front of me for the entire spin would be like having a whip at my back constantly pushing me on and taking away from the enjoyment of the cycle. Anyways, as I won't be getting one, I'll shut up now!

...having a speed readout in front of me for the entire spin would be like having a whip at my back constantly pushing me on....

This is exactly why I like it. I need something similar beside my work laptop...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

Avoid the Edge 820. I had it for about 6 months before I sold it on DoneDeal. The touch screen was just awful and it's was so so so so so SLOW to respond.

I'd second this warning to avoid the 820, navigation on it is truly awful. Better cheaper options out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I have been on a GPS computer journey from the 25 to the 520 to the 820 and then the wahoo elment. I am now on a Sigma Rox 12 and it is by far the best I have had so far. OK it is very German in the way that it does things, but it is excellent at navigation and has gotten me out of bother more than once. Also it can be had cheaply at times. I got mine for about 230 from Amazon germany from the amazon warehouse seller. I sold my 820 for 150 and was delighted to see the back of it.

Again not one that has been adopted by the masses, but great little device. Brilliant for club spins

• Registered Users Posts: 25 a_shed

Hi

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments, good to hear people's experiences. I'll do a bit more research before asking Santa to deliver :)

Advertisement