Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Cross coming?

Options
  • 23-11-2020 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Well what do you think? Will we se abit of CX racing in Dec?

#crossiscoming

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Well what do you think? Will we se abit of CX racing in Dec?

#crossiscoming
    All the provincial and national champs are early january so possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

We'll need to be in level 2 countrywide for much to happen though? For clubs to go to the effort of organising anything it would want to look like level 2 would be sustained for a decent length of time, is there anyone out there confident of that?

It's a right pain in the hole I know but probably better to be realistic than continually getting worked up and let down.

nilhg wrote: »
    We'll need to be in level 2 countrywide for much to happen though? For clubs to go to the effort of organising anything it would want to look like level 2 would be sustained for a decent length of time, is there anyone out there confident of that?

It's a right pain in the hole I know but probably better to be realistic than continually getting worked up and let down.

Provincial and National Champs I presume are covered under level 3 but any club races, leagues etc., realistically, I just can't see anything happening for them

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Euppy

With a similar line of thought for 2021 road race season. If you were a race organiser, would you be more tempted to organise a TT than a road race as there is more probability of it going ahead?

I can't see how a TT shouldn't be permitted outside of travel restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

I saw advertised somewhere for the leinster champs in January.

Maybe we'll just have to wait a week see what CI say.
    I'd love to see a few munster cx league races go ahead

• Advertisement

I saw advertised somewhere for the leinster champs in January.

Maybe we'll just have to wait a week see what CI say.
    I'd love to see a few munster cx league races go ahead

Here: https://cyclocross.ie/daily-schedule/

Interesting thread by David Higgins today about what effect the availability of a vaccine for might have if it's taken up widely.

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1333044539112771586

I suppose the relevant part for (racing) cyclists is this
    Also back of the envelope, here is one potential schedule, all going to plan:
    - December (L2-L3)
    - Jan (L4-L5)
    - Feb-Apr (L3)
    - May-Aug (L2)
    - September (COPPERS for the All Ireland)
    - December (OLD NORMAL Christmas)

Which wouldn't see much of a CX season but might give us a reasonable road schedule.

Anyway as he says himself just back of the envelope calculations but from a guy who is good with figures and reasonably clued in.

nilhg wrote: »
    Interesting thread by David Higgins today about what effect the availability of a vaccine for might have if it's taken up widely.

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1333044539112771586

I suppose the relevant part for (racing) cyclists is this

Which wouldn't see much of a CX season but might give us a reasonable road schedule.

Anyway as he says himself just back of the envelope calculations but from a guy who is good with figures and reasonably clued in.
    Could well be but I think he is being optimistic with the roll out. Great if it happens, but it is optimistic. I can well see there being only two maybe three races in CX this year. Province, national, and maybe time for one club race.

Two anyway, which will undoubtedly sell out instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

No sign of registration opening for Leinster CX yet ? Would it be on cycling Ireland or on the organisers?

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    No sign of registration opening for Leinster CX yet ? Would it be on cycling Ireland or on the organisers?

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/cycling-ireland-covid-19-updated-guidance-01122020/29629

Participation in cycling events is not permitted under level 3 restrictions. Cycling Ireland is seeking clarification from Sport Ireland and Government regarding the classification of the Provincial and National Cyclo-cross Championships as elite events.

• Advertisement

Its not on the CI eventmaster page or the organisers yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Sadly the cross BIKE I ordered has been pushed out from November to end of February.

Does one get much use from these things in summer or is it just winter?

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Sadly the cross BIKE I ordered has been pushed out from November to end of February.

Does one get much use from these things in summer or is it just winter?

You can definitely use them over the summer, still great for off road trails and poorly surfaced paths, I use mine all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

CramCycle wrote: »
    You can definitely use them over the summer, still great for off road trails and poorly surfaced paths, I use mine all year round.

Thanks for that - my thoughts are at present that I'll use wider tyres in the summer when the ground is harder.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Thanks for that - my thoughts are at present that I'll use wider tyres in the summer when the ground is harder.

I have a few random sets of tyres I have collected over the years and just swap out the most appropriate. Interestingly, once its dry, my schwalbe Marathons cover a lot of ground without huge issue aside from steep climbs, although not the most comfy as they are too rigid. but mud tires do fine in the summer and winter, I'm commuting on a set of PDX mud tyres at the minute and looking at strava over 17km on the road, they are slower but not enough that I would be overly concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Its not on the CI eventmaster page or the organisers yet

I'd be thinking that if the country is placed back into a Level 4 or 5 or 4+, 5+ etc. lockdown again in January that it could mean no CX champs...:(

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I'd be thinking that if the country is placed back into a Level 4 or 5 or 4+, 5+ etc. lockdown again in January that it could mean no CX champs...:(

It would appear, certainly at level 5 or 5+, level 4 there could be an argument for the national champs but no sign of them anywhere as far as I can tell.

cx champs are up the north this year too. different health authority, different restrictions.

cx champs are up the north this year too. different health authority, different restrictions.

What date do you know?

Regardless, if we are at level 5 south of the border, noone from the 3 other provinces will be able to attend even if the northern assembly say its OK, as CI will be obligated to knock anyone with a registered address from the entry list like they done with other events over the year.

What date do you know?

Regardless, if we are at level 5 south of the border, noone from the 3 other provinces will be able to attend even if the northern assembly say its OK, as CI will be obligated to knock anyone with a registered address from the entry list like they done with other events over the year.

weekend 9th & 10th as far as i know. armagh.

• Advertisement

Entries for Leinster are now opening on the 14th December, time to start practicing your bunny hops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Entries for Leinster are now opening on the 14th December, time to start practicing your bunny hops

They've pushed that back a couple of times... possibility that it'll be pushed back again?

Anyone been out to Djouce GC to look at the course yet?

Paddigol wrote: »
    They've pushed that back a couple of times... possibility that it'll be pushed back again?

I seen a video of them prepping it, would you be allowed onto it if you spun down? I'm not that far from it so would definitely take a half day to have a spin around if allowed.

Paddigol wrote: »

There’s been no confirmation from Sports Ireland to Cycling Ireland that any type of event can be held under current health guidelines. I presume they’ve pushed it out hoping that CI will have some sort of update by entry date.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/off-road-commission-media-release/29639?fbclid=IwAR1gx2X1o_wSc_x-vjkJdlJtgwT61MWL3tD8AzkSkV5tsq31tggh6EsTMV8

It seems its not coming. disappointing again when you think of how its an event in the open air practically in single file.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Travel restrictions seem to be the issue I'd say & will undoubtedly lead to a late start to the road season.

Level 2 needed for any type of cycle racing I'd say.

A weird aside, anyone interested in a CX TT league over the Christmas for sh1ts and giggles. No prizes, just maybe 4 routes in the Dublin Wicklow area, one day per route and submit times?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Hmm... tell me more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/off-road-commission-media-release/29639?fbclid=IwAR1gx2X1o_wSc_x-vjkJdlJtgwT61MWL3tD8AzkSkV5tsq31tggh6EsTMV8

It seems its not coming. disappointing again when you think of how its an event in the open air practically in single file.

Gotta feel sorry for the likes of Conroy, Rafferty, O'Donnel and Lally with the commission also noting that CI will not be sending any riders to the worlds.

• Advertisement

Gotta feel sorry for the likes of Conroy, Rafferty, O'Donnel and Lally with the commission also noting that CI will not be sending any riders to the worlds.

Was there any rationale given?

Advertisement