Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car tax online renewal

Options
  • 05-07-2019 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

If like me you prefer not to disclose personal information such as email address you can renew online without giving email address. Its tricky because as usual they prefer that you do.

Heres how. Instructions from the department.

At stage 2 you select manage email and leave it blank and then choose confirm twice and this will allow you to continue.

Hope this is useful to some.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭KBurke85

You could also set up a separate email account for official things like this and keep your personal email account separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭thebiglad

If like me you prefer not to disclose personal information such as email address you can renew online without giving email address. Its tricky because as usual they prefer that you do.

Heres how. Instructions from the department.

At stage 2 you select manage email and leave it blank and then choose confirm twice and this will allow you to continue.

Hope this is useful to some.

Not sure how personal an email address is when they have your home address, car details and credit card info but...

Just make sure that you print off your confirmation number in case the disc is lost en-route in post and you need to contact them.

Also, how do they then advise you when the tax is next due - presume that must be snail mail too - I simply prefer an email notification

As they have quite a lot of info on you already what harm to give an email - you can always set up an account with dummy information just for items such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

No more snail mail as far as I know, its to encourage online payment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

That you OP?

eird-al-yankovic-tin-foil-hat-160x160.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I don’t think anyone working for motortax could care less what your or my email address is. I’ve never had unsolicited email from them so have no reason not to provide it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How do you think you'll get your renewal notice

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You don’t need the renewal notice to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

In the post

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

9935452 wrote: »
    In the post

To the home address???

That's a lot of personal info to give out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

They have your home address anyway. The disc cannot be emailed. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I sold jeep and tax is about to expire, can I renew the years tax for new owners as have pin etc here only thing is that I have insurance switched to other commercial jeep ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

sonnybill wrote: »
    I sold jeep and tax is about to expire, can I renew the years tax for new owners as have pin etc here only thing is that I have insurance switched to other commercial jeep ?

Why would you ?

Unregistered Users

Give the pin to new owners, let them do the job themselves. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

joujoujou wrote: »
    Give the pin to new owners, let them do the job themselves. :)

Won't the disc then just get issued to the seller's address though?

OP should just let the change of ownership take place and then the buyer can tax it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bazz26 wrote: »

OP should just let the change of ownership take place and then the buyer can tax it themselves.

New owner might have to jump through hoops with the tax office if it’s commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

colm_mcm wrote: »
    New owner might have to jump through hoops with the tax office if it’s commercial.

yes, I guess they are hoping to be able to get commercial tax without the declaration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Taxing it is the new owners responsibility. I presume you completed the change of ownership section on the back of the Registration Cert and posted it to the office in Shannon.A new cert will be issued to the new owner who can tax it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Tell them to make an appointment and go in and tax it. The council aren't able to do all the checks at the moment and the garda aren't doing the declarations at the moment either.

Unregistered Users

bazz26 wrote: »

Not sure about commercial, but I think there's an option to amend address during online tax renewal procedure.

colm_mcm wrote: »

That’s it, new owner asked me and gave me the 333 to tax her

• Advertisement

Taxing it is the new owners responsibility. I presume you completed the change of ownership section on the back of the Registration Cert and posted it to the office in Shannon.A new cert will be issued to the new owner who can tax it then.

I taxed it today and will change ownership tomorrow

Advertisement