Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lime fruit tree

Options
  • 19-11-2020 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

All,

Looking to buy a lime fruit tree but struggling to find somewhere that sells these. I am looking for juicy limes, not the dry type such as Kaffir limes.

Any recommendations by PM thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Both Clarinbridge and thegardenshop.ie offer limes (tahitian) but neither have them in stock at the moment. Which would seem to suggest that, like a lot of other trees, they are not generally available at the moment. Presumably this is a side-effect of Covid, certainly the availability of varieties of trees and shrubs is pretty limited at the monent.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I got my limequat tree in the johnstown garden centre around this time last year.

Tree wrote: »
    I got my limequat tree in the johnstown garden centre around this time last year.

We got a decent sized lemon there last year too for 45/50.
    Currently has about 10 lemons on it.

Has anyone kept lemons/limes for a long time ?
    Monty dons ones always look fantastic and loaded with fruit!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I remember seeing them in LIDL ages ago - they might bring them back at some stage.

BrownFinger, my uncle has a potted lemon tree that's over 40 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

I bought a kumquat tree in a pot in Lidl last year. It had lots of fruit when I bought it but nothing grew on it this year. Not sure if it’s just not suited to our climate or if we’re not looking after it right. It’s in the polytunnel for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Heres a good article on growing sub tropical fruit trees in colder climates

Fruit Trenches: Cultivating Subtropical Plants in Freezing Temperatures

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Thanks for that article, Funsterdelux. I've been toying with the idea of growing citrus here in central France for a few years, but until global warming comes into effect, we're still a little bit too far north for the trees to survive a winter outside. But right now I'm in the process of digging holes and trenches of various sizes to help manage the weather extremes that's already disrupted three years of fruit and veg production. The information that citrus trees can cope with very (very!) low levels of light in the winter could be the perfect solution to a "shadowy" problem I hadn't yet found a way of dealing with in what's intended to be my main sunken garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Thanks for that article, Funsterdelux. I've been toying with the idea of growing citrus here in central France for a few years, but until global warming comes into effect, we're still a little bit too far north for the trees to survive a winter outside. But right now I'm in the process of digging holes and trenches of various sizes to help manage the weather extremes that's already disrupted three years of fruit and veg production. The information that citrus trees can cope with very (very!) low levels of light in the winter could be the perfect solution to a "shadowy" problem I hadn't yet found a way of dealing with in what's intended to be my main sunken garden.

Your welcome.
    Id say it might work at your location, being at a similar latitude to the locations mentioned.
    Its amazing how they aclimatised the fruit to grow further north each time they planted a seed.

Advertisement