Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Geary was dropped quietly due to on going cost-cutting at today fm

I wonder are the rest of the long-established djs looking over their shoulders?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭johnire

Wow- she didn't last long.
    Geary was dropped quietly due to on going cost-cutting at today fm

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Dear God shauna being pushed and pushed by all there shows on Ian dempsey now doing gift grub also on dermot and dave about virtual dating then on mairead talking about her show. She is there new Louise Duffy be gone in 6 months

I thought she was always only gonna be there while Paula McSweeney was on maternity leave anyway? Once she's back, Pamela Joyce will go back to weekends, Jessica Maciel will move back to the slot Shauna's in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dr golden 2

I thought she was always only gonna be there while Paula McSweeney was on maternity leave anyway? Once she's back, Pamela Joyce will go back to weekends, Jessica Maciel will move back to the slot Shauna's in.

Don't be surprised if Paula Macsweeney gets afternoons and if Fearghal Darcy gets the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Don't be surprised if Paula Macsweeney gets afternoons and if Fearghal Darcy gets the bullet.

Based on what, exactly? I mean, I get that people on boards don't like him, but he had the biggest year-on-year increase in listeners of all Today FMs daytime DJs. Would seem a bit perverse and self-defeating for Today FM to sack him as a result, no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dr golden 2

Based on what, exactly? I mean, I get that people on boards don't like him, but he had the biggest year-on-year increase in listeners of all Today FMs daytime DJs. Would seem a bit perverse and self-defeating for Today FM to sack him as a result, no?

The new program controller (or content director as they are now called) has said that he wants to have more female Voices on the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The new program controller (or content director as they are now called) has said that he wants to have more female Voices on the schedule.

I'd be more worried about Ed Smith so :(

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

In fairness, there are loads of women on the Today FM schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭prunudo

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    In fairness, there are loads of women on the Today FM schedule.

Problem is, most of them are mediocre at best. The standard of new presenter has been shocking over recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

Can't see fearghal getting sack... Has big audience... I'd be looking at the 40k that turn off at 12 and people turning back on at 2pm

• Advertisement

Can't see fearghal getting sack... Has big audience... I'd be looking at the 40k that turn off at 12 and people turning back on at 2pm

Otherwise known as lunchtime? I like Mairéad's show and listen until 1 or so if I'm in the office - or, well, actually, at home too - but then it's time to buy/make lunch and get out of the office/kitchen cum office for a bit. Whoever has that slot will lose listeners - pretty sure that's reflected in other stations' JNLRs, too.

Otherwise known as lunchtime? I like Mairéad's show and listen until 1 or so if I'm in the office - or, well, actually, at home too - but then it's time to buy/make lunch and get out of the office/kitchen cum office for a bit. Whoever has that slot will lose listeners - pretty sure that's reflected in other stations' JNLRs, too.

Listening figures worse than muireann I'd say she will be one under pressure lunchtime at today fm don't last long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

I was never a fan of Fergal but he is kinda growing on me - I don't hear all of his show, only the last hour and I dunno why but I don't dislike him as much.
    They made a terrible mistake axing Phil Cawley Friday night 80's - wonder if the new head will bring him back, but they won't make the same mistake again and axe Ed Smith too. I wouldn't be a big fan of the music he has to play Monday to Thursday but Sunday nights Songs of Praise is just brilliant - you never know what gem he will play next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Tracy Clifford is a great alternative too “Ferg” lads! No talks of 90s memories

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭siblers

robo wrote: »
    I was never a fan of Fergal but he is kinda growing on me - I don't hear all of his show, only the last hour and I dunno why but I don't dislike him as much.
    They made a terrible mistake axing Phil Cawley Friday night 80's - wonder if the new head will bring him back, but they won't make the same mistake again and axe Ed Smith too. I wouldn't be a big fan of the music he has to play Monday to Thursday but Sunday nights Songs of Praise is just brilliant - you never know what gem he will play next.

The music on Ferg's show is awful, it's just so bad. I think he'd be OK on a nighttime show with his own choice of music

Just out of curiosity, where’d he say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Had the Breakfast Show on this morning on the way home from the school run and Ian Dempsey played his first Christmas Song which was Fairytale of New York. The edited, watered down, PC friendly Fairytale of New York.

So have Today FM gone the way of the BBC with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

BPKS wrote: »
    Had the Breakfast Show on this morning on the way home from the school run and Ian Dempsey played his first Christmas Song which was Fairytale of New York. The edited, watered down, PC friendly Fairytale of New York.

#woke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

BPKS wrote: »

BBC Radio 2 played the original version this morning as part of their all day Christmas songs

• Site Banned Posts: 3 LletiRed

They just had an annual book review.

Will O'Callaghans were fine.

Then they had Niamh Briggs who had 2 rugby books, 1 book that was a childrens book for girls (but she says it for boys too and is giving it to her 6 month old nephew) and 1 book from her buddies in the 42.ie who are "local irish journalists who really support womens sports".

What a waste.

Very surprised when Matt Cooper said Rob Kearneys interview on the show was one of the most downloaded podcasts because he was an absolute bore who gave short scripted answers.

He was on the Today Show a couple days after and was repeating the same scripted lines. He was asked what his best moment in an Irish shirt was. I thought he'd say the grand slam in Twickenham or Wales but he went by the same script as the other interviews..."I'd have to say 2018, as I had gone through a period of being out of form, out of the team, struggling with injuries and to get back to that level and force my way back into the team was a proud achievement."

• Advertisement

LletiRed wrote: »
    They just had an annual book review.

Will O'Callaghans were fine.

Then they had Niamh Briggs who had 2 rugby books, 1 book that was a childrens book for girls (but she says it for boys too and is giving it to her 6 month old nephew) and 1 book from her buddies in the 42.ie who are "local irish journalists who really support womens sports".

Three posts ever, two of them complaining about women/women in sport... :rolleyes:

Who is that idiot on today fm getting people to message in there not pregnant nor engaged. Trying to save money or something???

Who is that idiot on today fm getting people to message in there not pregnant nor engaged. Trying to save money or something???

Darragh something? Is it Darragh Quilty? It's a bit cringey...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Darragh something? Is it Darragh Quilty? It's a bit cringey...

Leave Dara Quilty alone - he has been championed by a certain poster on this forum! :)

Leave Dara Quilty alone - he has been championed by a certain poster on this forum! :)

Has he? Just did a search, his name came back twice! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Has he? Just did a search, his name came back twice! :-D

I got a hell of a lot more than two results for Dara Quilty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Was working this morning at home and it on, was brutal radio. Only my radio is so old and stuck on Today FM, I would've changed it. Normally happy to have the station on all day long

I used to really enjoy Dara Quilty’s shows but I’ve heard him on Spin 1038 and TodayFM recently and not really enjoyed listening. I can’t quit put my finger on why.

It can feel sometimes like he’s trying to force himself to sound a bit different from the usual style for presenters. I just can’t figure out what’s made me go off him, but I used to be a big fan.

I got a hell of a lot more than two results for Dara Quilty!

My bad, 213 results now. Maybe I only searched this thread instead of 'Radio'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

A certain poster with (allegedly) more than one account too as one fanboy account just wasn't enough! And that's before we start mentioning the Whitmore.....................

Advertisement