Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke Alarms

Options
  • 16-11-2020 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

I had a leak a couple of weeks ago through one of my smoke alarms. It got fixed and the ceiling got repainted but now the alarm keeps going off everytime I try and connect it back.

Could there be damage inside and what can be done to fix this?
    I wouldn't know much about these things so if anybody could shed any light that would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

apache wrote: »
    I had a leak a couple of weeks ago through one of my smoke alarms. It got fixed and the ceiling got repainted but now the alarm keeps going off everytime I try and connect it back.

Could there be damage inside and what can be done to fix this?
    I wouldn't know much about these things so if anybody could shed any light that would be great.

The best thing you could do is to get it replaced. It's not worth the risk of trying to repair it and not knowing if it will actually work if there is a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭apache

I'll get on to that. Thanks Aido.

I have ordered 2 new alarms that are due to arrive Tuesday and taken the faulty ones out.

This morning at 4am the remaining smoke alarm went off.
    Does anyone know what the problem is? Maybe I should get an electrician?

I'm worried it will go off again today when I am in work stressing out my pets :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

apache wrote: »
    I have ordered 2 new alarms that are due to arrive Tuesday and taken the faulty ones out.

This morning at 4am the remaining smoke alarm went off.
    Does anyone know what the problem is? Maybe I should get an electrician?

I'm worried it will go off again today when I am in work stressing out my pets :eek:

Presume these are wired together or wirelessly together meaning the faulty one will alert all the other ones.
    .replace the original faulty one.

listermint wrote: »
    Presume these are wired together or wirelessly together meaning the faulty one will alert all the other ones.
    .replace the original faulty one.
    Will do that Tuesday. I have taken the faulty ones out and awaiting replacements. It would still make the other one go off? I turned it off at the mains but theres a battery in it also.

The problem should be solved when I get the replacements? The faulty ones were taken out last week. That's why I don't understand why it's setting the other one off.

• Advertisement

I should have taken the remaining one out this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't know why your replacing all of them though... They are electrically wired for power and the batteries are back ups. Have you considered they are not all broken and the backup batteries are wasted.

Replacing the one that got wet is correct but the rest?

But the one that got wet has been taken out and it's still setting the other ones off.

Advertisement