Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iBOOD Ceasing Trading in ROI

Options
  • 14-03-2018 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up as iBOOD sometimes feature on BA.

Just got this by email;

"Although it has been a great ride, we have decided to cease trading in the Republic of Ireland.

You can still find deals online until 3:00pm on Monday 19th March, when we will close our shop.

All orders will still be fulfilled, and you will still have access to your account and be able to contact us via My iBOOD.

We remain active in other countries, which means we are still able to handle claims, warranty and support requests according to EU and local regulations.

Thank you for having been part of our story.
    Team iBOOD"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Shame to see them go... only ordered once off them recently (great noise-cancelling headphones).

But I'll miss the banter on waiting three months for delivery.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ordered lots of bits and pieces from them in the past- but nothing recently (to be honest- they've really lost their way- their 'bargains' are rather pedestrian- and when you factor shipping into the equation- more often than not you can get it cheaper locally- or elsewhere online. I'm sad to see another online retailer abandon Ireland- however, the writing has been on the wall for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I looked forward daily to see their offers.

I did notice their recent products were useless and it's been a while since I purchased from them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Ordered lots of bits and pieces from them in the past- but nothing recently (to be honest- they've really lost their way- their 'bargains' are rather pedestrian- and when you factor shipping into the equation- more often than not you can get it cheaper locally- or elsewhere online. I'm sad to see another online retailer abandon Ireland- however, the writing has been on the wall for a long time.

I fear that after brexit happens more will leave us.

Does anyone know of a good alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

god's toy wrote: »

iBOOD is a Dutch company... why would it be affected by brexit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

But why would a European company have brexit as a reason to leave Ireland.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    iBOOD is a Dutch company... why would it be affected by brexit?

It wouldn't be but be prepared for EVERYTHING to be blamed on Brexit for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Does anyone remember their 12hr flash sales? There was a good laugh on here waiting for something good only to see another set of frying pans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Thought this was funny bottom of the mail "Internet's Best Online Offer Daily".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

I got a pair of wireless cans off them a couple weeks ago for the TV, just arrived yesterday. €50 including delivery, they cost €120 in Argos: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7257863/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7Ccat_50000616%7CHeadphones+and+earphones%7C50000617/Trail/searchtext%3EPHILIPS.htm

Have bought a lot of really cool electrical items off them on the cheap over the years, sorry to see them go. Having said that, I did once have to return a faulty item they sold me and it took legitimately months to sort. Easily the worst customer service I've ever had from a retailer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I bought some things off them over the years, the last being an Asus Zenwatch 2 that arrived in a fortnight. A lot of their deals were ruined by the high delivery charge though so many deals ended up not that great when you added an extra 12.95.

Still, be a shame to see them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Only ever bought one item from them; was tempted by a few others but as a previous poster mentioned by the time you factor their crazy shipping charges in often the difference was negligible from amazon etc.

If you really want something from them going forward however surely Parcel Motel is the way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

If you really want something from them going forward however surely Parcel Motel is the way to go?

Surely they're pulling out of the UK too, no? If not then it's just bizarre.

Assuming they are I suspect they couldn't validate the cost of administering the english language site (i.e. not enough sales to make it worth their while) but part of my is still suspicious that Brexit will have played a part and we were collateral damage from the UK withdrawal.

Either way sorry to see them go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

What happens to our account information? Will it get deleted? Or would you have to request that they delete your account and all personal information?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

god's toy wrote: »

Groupon maybe, have never used them before though.

https://www.groupon.ie

byte wrote: »
    I bought some things off them over the years, the last being an Asus Zenwatch 2 that arrived in a fortnight. A lot of their deals were ruined by the high delivery charge though so many deals ended up not that great when you added an extra 12.95.

Still, be a shame to see them go.

For sure some larger things were good for the shipping fees but stuff like SD cards and other small things were often pushed into the realm of not worth it when you factored in the full shipping cost.

Kolido wrote: »
    Groupon maybe, have never used them before though.

https://www.groupon.ie

It's funny, they are around years but I've never looked into them. I get a vibe off the company ....maybe it's just me..

Anyhoo, thanks for the recommendation!

What happens to our account information? Will it get deleted? Or would you have to request that they delete your account and all personal information?

Wait until the 25th of May- and as its a company based in the Netherlands- your information will be dealt with under the provisions of the GDPR- which is applicable throughout the EU. I'd suggest hold off on any query until you have the strength of the GDPR behind you- and then you're going to be in a position of strength to dictate to iBood what you want them to do with your data.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭almee

Have to say I got some good stuff from them over the years, although the small gas barbeque with the built in speaker was a bit of a novelty.....
    I'll be sorry to see them go

almee wrote: »
    Have to say I got some good stuff from them over the years, although the small gas barbeque with the built in speaker was a bit of a novelty.....
    I'll be sorry to see them go

Ditto- absolutely nothing recently though- their offers have been distinctively underwhelming. Komplett were the same- before they were sold- now there is nothing of any real interest.

Ditto- absolutely nothing recently though- their offers have been distinctively underwhelming. Komplett were the same- before they were sold- now there is nothing of any real interest.

Wow remember the email from Komplett was something to look forward too. And fear...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

bought a samsung tv off them a few years ago, great tv, fast delivery, no complaints in that respect. The delivery charges prohibited me from using it more often though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Got a few things over the years, as said postage ruined it. I got 2 pairs of headphones once, as shipping did not increase if you got 2. It was not good value to get just 1.

There was a group buying website many years ago, they would offer an item and the more people who ordered it the cheaper it got. So some items would snowball -as it got cheaper more would buy it. I think the idea was people would go touting the offer on other websites, so they would get theirs cheaper, i.e. if you ordered at a certain price that price could continue to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Last few bargains that have interested me I've gone and searched on Amazon. It's been cheaper there every time so meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Awful company , no loss .

rebeve wrote: »
    Awful company , no loss .
    largely agree. 80% of the stuff could be found elsewhere for better price or higher quality.
    I never subscribed to the newsletter but did buy the noise cancelling earphones thanks to a BA. That was a decent deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

You're missing the entire point though. Did they have a phenomenal deal every day? No. However, when they did have an item you were interested in and it happened to be on one of those days that it was a phenomenal deal, it really was great. I've a surveillance system in my house, a few pairs of headphones, two tablets and a Kitchenaid I bought from them that saved me hundreds and hundreds.

If your ratios are right and 80% of the stuff was not a bargain, then you still had 1 day out of every 5 where it was. That's useful.

Monokne wrote: »
    If your ratios are right and 80% of the stuff was not a bargain, then you still had 1 day out of every 5 where it was. That's useful.

If it was something that you actually wanted or needed- or was so compellingly priced- that despite whatever it cost- it was an impulse purchase. Lots of us bought little 8" laptops from them- that were cheap as chips- tooks months to arrive- but gave us a fun weekend messing with- and are now gracing attics round the country. They had those things- things that you never knew you wanted or needed- but they managed a Barnam and Bailey- and sold them to you.

Whereas- their latest stuff- has been pedestrian- run of the mill stuff- that we can pick up anywhere- and when you factor shipping in- isn't any cheaper with them than it is elsewhere.

They lost their way.

Monokne wrote: »
    You're missing the entire point though. Did they have a phenomenal deal every day? No. However, when they did have an item you were interested in and it happened to be on one of those days that it was a phenomenal deal, it really was great. I've a surveillance system in my house, a few pairs of headphones, two tablets and a Kitchenaid I bought from them that saved me hundreds and hundreds.

Sorry I wasnt being very scientific about the "80%" statistic. It was probably 99% or so to think of it. But that's personal... I have several different tools (as many on this forum have) to find deals and most of times I would find better quality/cheaper offers than what was on iBOOD. Not saying that it was a totally useless service, just not very useful for me... That's why, for me personally, it didnt make sense to get a daily email. BA did the filtering for me and I would venture to say a significant proportion (trying to chose my words carefully here) of Ibood offers posted on BA had the first 3-4 replies from people saying "better price elsewhere" "watch out it's refurbished" " "lower spec version" etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

Ordered a Sony Xperia Mobile phone a few Years ago,Weeks & Weeks Later
    a Small parcel arrived,When I Opened it there was Nothing in the Parcel Just an Empty packet???:confused:
    The Hassle to get a replacement phone put me off ibood & Would Never Buy from them again.
    Good Riddance:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Bought loads of items from them, not so much lately though, never had an issue other than slow delivery.

Advertisement