Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sugru Flash Sale!

Options
  • 04-10-2017 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Just spotted on twitter that Sugru are having a flash sale...

Here's the link:

https://goo.gl/i8wzEE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Here's the post from twitter:

429659.JPG[\img]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

This stuff is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Just a note that orders have to be above £15 / €20 to avail of the 40%.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While this stuff is awesome, it is way overpriced IMO.

You have to buy it in big packs, you only use one or two and put the rest away. But when you take it back out later to use it, you find it has gone off and have to throw it out.

So unless you are certain that you have immediate uses for it all, don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

bk wrote: »
    You have to buy it in big packs, you only use one or two and put the rest away. But when you take it back out later to use it, you find it has gone off and have to throw it out.
    Looks like the packs of 8 are individually wrapped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

This is great stuff.

The door seal on my washing machine broke, so water was pishing out, and it's not economically feasible to fix it, so I would have had to buy a new washing machine. I used 2 packs of sugru as a last resort, out of pure desperation, to fix and mould the seal back to its original shape, and 6 months and many washes later - the machine is still working perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

So unless you are certain that you have immediate uses for it all, don't bother.

Stick it in the fridge, I've had it work perfectly after 3 years once its kept there

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Looks like the packs of 8 are individually wrapped.

They are, but they still have a pretty short best before date and still go off. I also tried the fridge thing, still went hard and brittle and broke up.

Complete waste of money IMO. That is if you don't have an immediate plan for their use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

They are, but they still have a pretty short best before date and still go off. I also tried the fridge thing, still went hard and brittle and broke up.

Complete waste of money IMO.

It's only a waste of money if you don't use it.

...which could apply to almost anything really.

It's only a waste of money if you don't use it.

...which could apply to almost anything really.

Of course, which is why I specified if you don't have an immediate use for it.

What I didn't realise when I bought it was that it had such a short shelf life. And that is why I'm warning people that buying large quantities of it might not be such a great idea (you need to spend minimum €20 on it to get this deal!).

I've a tool box full of selotapes, duct tapes, screws, glues, bluetacks, etc. that continue to work well years after buying them, even though I didn't have an immediate use for them up front. Unfortunately Sugru doesn't age well like that. I don't consider it a grab it out of a tool box when you need it type product. I still use it, but now I only buy it when I exactly have an immediate use for it and only the smallest pack possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i find sugru really good, but it should be sold in smaller "one-use" portions. for a lot of the things I've used it for, i've only needed less than half of the pack and then either have to find something else to do with the remainder or bin it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

ablelocks wrote: »
    i find sugru really good, but it should be sold in smaller "one-use" portions. for a lot of the things I've used it for, i've only needed less than half of the pack and then either have to find something else to do with the remainder or bin it...

That's actually a really good idea. Im the same, I have a few small jobs its needed for, but waiting until I have enough to warrant opening a full pack.

Of course, which is why I specified if you don't have an immediate use for it.

What I didn't realise when I bought it was that it had such a short shelf life. And that is why I'm warning people that buying large quantities of it might not be such a great idea (you need to spend minimum €20 on it to get this deal!).

I've a tool box full of selotapes, duct tapes, screws, glues, bluetacks, etc. that continue to work well years after buying them, even though I didn't have an immediate use for them up front. Unfortunately Sugru doesn't age well like that. I don't consider it a grab it out of a tool box when you need it type product. I still use it, but now I only buy it when I exactly have an immediate use for it and only the smallest pack possible.

When did you buy it? I know when it first came out it had a very short self-life even when refrigerated but now (since about a year ago) it's over a year at room temperature.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Right, well I'm going to suggest. If anyone wants to split a pack, let me know. I bought 2 packs, but if it's a short life, I won't get to use it all. Will split it down if needed. Other person either collects or pays postage.

Edit: Nevermind. Just copped I never submitted the order! :p:p:p:D:D:D:pac:

Double edit: I did order. Was just in a different email account!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

When did you buy it? I know when it first came out it had a very short self-life even when refrigerated but now (since about a year ago) it's over a year at room temperature.

Think it says triple life span of unopened if refrigerated. May have misread that though. I ordered some, with no idea what I would use it for.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

I know its not Sugry but found this one aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Useful-DIY-Mouldable-Glue-Self-setting-Repair-Stick-Fix-Silicone-Rubber-Mud-intelligent-plasticine-clay-tools/32821141138.html

For the price its worth a chance, Sugru just costs too much

Think it says triple life span of unopened if refrigerated. May have misread that though. I ordered some, with no idea what I would use it for.

Yeah, I think that's it alright. Go looking for broken shíte now. :pac:

Loads of examples here - https://sugru.com/uses-projects

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Sent an email to sugru about smaller pack sizes and got a lovely reply within an hour telling me I was a genius* and offering a free three pack - now that's customer service....

*Actual words may differ, but it's what I read and understood

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Any shops selling this any more? Woodies seem to have stopped.

Home Store and More

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/stories/store-locator/scat/storelocator

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I was in Woodies in Blackpool, Cork on Saturday - they had Sugru on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

I got some of this to try when Maplin closed down here and I wish I’d bought more.

Savage stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

DaraDali wrote: »
    I know its not Sugry but found this one aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Useful-DIY-Mouldable-Glue-Self-setting-Repair-Stick-Fix-Silicone-Rubber-Mud-intelligent-plasticine-clay-tools/32821141138.html

For the price its worth a chance, Sugru just costs too much

The link is dead, but I looked into it as the thought of cheap Sugru was appealing. Unfortunately, the reviews that this knock off seem to be poor: https://www.amazon.com/Moldable-Useful-Mouldable-Self-setting-Silicone/dp/B073XL14TH#customerReviews

"The putty never dried. I waited 4 days and it never hardened."
    "Doesn't work. Never hardened. Tried to remove it after days of waiting for it to harden. Left a tacky residue all over the thing I was trying to fix. Waste of money
    "

Pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭The lips

€9 for a 3pack locally, I wish sugru would drop the delivery charge at least.

40% Sale on now (over €20) code: SHINE

https://sugru.com/buy

Advertisement