Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avantcard Cashback €144 - New & existing customers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Heiser wrote: »
    I got my documents today and I see they've approved me with an 8k limit. I only asked for 4k. I don't like the idea of having an 8k limit incase the card was stolen or something.

If I ask them to reduce it again is it seen as a withdrawal of credit? Does this then impact negatively on my credit score? This is important as I'll be approaching them about a 35k home improvement loan next year...

Brexit around the corner too - that €8k limit may come in handy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

€3.70 this month. Getting there. My target is €30 to cover tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

wench wrote: »

92 Snowmobile dealers

People in Kildare, Laois, Carlow and Kilkenny might be quids in today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Do you still get to use the Avantages discounts and cashback on their website if you switch over to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

chasm wrote: »
    Do you still get to use the Avantages discounts and cashback on their website if you switch over to this?

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Does anyone use Curve with their avantcard? I'm wondering if I buy something using Curve then later use the time machine function, will it still be eligible for cashback or will it be treated like a refund and not be eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ROSSWATSON

Phoned them today. Be aware you lose your Tesco shopping points credits if you switch, so may not be for everyone depending on where you use your card for shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

How long did it take you in order to receive your card? I applied on Monday and sent all the documents, but they are still under review.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

Could you apply for the card, get the 30 bonus and then cancel the card?

Would you still be liable for govt charge if you only had the card live for a few days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Q&A

McGaggs wrote: »
    Does anyone use Curve with their avantcard? I'm wondering if I buy something using Curve then later use the time machine function, will it still be eligible for cashback or will it be treated like a refund and not be eligible.

Seems to be working. Curve card purchases are categorised by the underlying purchase type when I log on to avantcard i.e., Lidl is down as supermarket. Though to be fair I use both the curve card and original credit card and haven't tried itemising the cashback.
    candyman wrote: »
    Could you apply for the card, get the 30 bonus and then cancel the card?

Would you still be liable for govt charge if you only had the card live for a few days?

Afraid that wont work.

The €30 bonus is only paid out if you use the card in the first 90 days.

Only way to avoid the €30 stamp duty is to cancel the card without having used it within the period i.e,. April to March.

You can do one or the other but not both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

Have been thinking my cashback was a little low the last two months, so went back and checked against their list against recent transactions ( 11nov-30nov).
    I received 5.67 on 1st dec.
    My transactions in the cashback catagories added up to approx 9.50.
    Anyone else seeing lower than expected?
    Im thinking I'm missing some clause that reduces the cashback that I dont know about.
    I haven't cleared the full balance the last two months, but have paid way more than minimum.

Q&A wrote: »
    Seems to be working. Curve card purchases are categorised by the underlying purchase type when I log on to avantcard i.e., Lidl is down as supermarket. Though to be fair I use both the curve card and original credit card and haven't tried itemising the cashback.

I'm wondering if using the time machine function to move the payment to a different card will remove the cashback on that transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Bojill wrote: »
    Have been thinking my cashback was a little low the last two months, so went back and checked against their list against recent transactions ( 11nov-30nov).
    I received 5.67 on 1st dec.
    My transactions in the cashback catagories added up to approx 9.50.
    Anyone else seeing lower than expected?
    Im thinking I'm missing some clause that reduces the cashback that I dont know about.
    I haven't cleared the full balance the last two months, but have paid way more than minimum.

Last month I checked my cashback against purchases. And compared it against previous month at the same time. Couldn’t reconcile it no matter what I included or discarded. Confess I gave up and just accepted the their figure. Smaller than I made it but it’s better than nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭wench

I think the month in arrears is what throws the number out.
    So the money I got Dec 2nd was for charges on my November statement, which were made in October!

Month Cashback Previous Statement balance
    Dec 12.00 1278
    Nov 7.37 624
    Oct 9.46 951
    Sept 5.96 906
    Aug 12.00 1129

I think the month in arrears is what throws the number out.
    So the money I got Dec 2nd was for charges on my November statement, which were made in October!

Month Cashback Previous Statement balance
    Dec 12.00 1278
    Nov 7.37 624
    Oct 9.46 951
    Sept 5.96 906
    Aug 12.00 1129

I didn't realise that, thanks.

Hi all,

I usually receive the cashback on the 1st of the month, however there was no cashback credited to me today. Did you notice the same thing?

Mine isn't there either, I'd expect to get it tomorrow.
    Looking back, it was regularly the 2nd, until the last couple of months when it got a bit earlier.

Yeah, same as, nothing here.

Still no cashback today neither.

• Advertisement

They are probably having challenges to calculate and post it on accounts manually....might turn up later in the month hopefully

Have a look in your pending transactions.
    I have a pending credit, which I expect is it.
    02/04/2020 Unidentified -€6.94

Have a look in your pending transactions.
    I have a pending credit, which I expect is it.
    02/04/2020 Unidentified -€6.94

There were no pending transactions when I checked this morning, but I can see it now.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

To say that the service from Avant is poor, is a very polite understatement.

Try contacting them when you need help with something, once you get past the automated service, you are just left swinging....

• No option to leave a message,
    • No option to request a call back

• No live chat,
    • No email support.

They really aren't worth the grief, cashback isn't even close to good enough, when you've a card company that you can't rely on.

I gather that AIB also do a cashback card, so that's my next move, while getting away from this shower!

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

I'm getting €12/month off them so I'm a happy customer.

I haven't had that experience with Avantcard (barely have any reason to contact them), but I looked into the AIB cashback recently. Need to spend tens of thousands before they'll pay any cashback, and the rate is much lower.

• Advertisement

Hi,

That's not correct - the minimum spend is €5,000 pa (so about €417pm) to qualify, and then you get 0.5% back on all of the qualifying expenditure.

See full details under the "Exclusive Benefits" section on the following link :

https://aib.ie/our-products/credit-cards/platinum-visa-card

Obviously, the trick with all of these type of deals, is to use your card as often as possible, but then ensure that you clear the card every month. You might also be able to put an authorised user on the account, and benefit from the additional activity of the second card holder.

More importantly, there's the question of service and reliability - which Avant certainly don't score well on - what's the point in being able to get cashback on a card that you can't rely on, to serve its primary purpose?

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭glen123

I've had a card with them for many years as well as loans - I found them way easier to deal with than the bank I am with. When my card got skimmed in London a couple of years ago they very quickly spotted UK transactions the day after I arrived back to Ireland and blocked the card. Once I confirmed transactions were not mine, they removed them from the balance and sent me a new card. All done over the phone quickly and efficiently.

Took out a loan with them a few months ago - 15min on the phone, option to have my application decided automatically or by a person. Opted in for auto-decision. Got that via email minutes after I finished talking to their Customer care with option to upload required docs through a dedicated portal. Done that. Got the money into my account 2 working days later.

My only complaints are:

• lack of app
    • their cards don't seem to work with Google pay and there are no plans to change that
    • when they block your card because they suspect fraudulent transactions, they don't send you a text or anything so you'll find out when your card gets declined:) However, they have an option for customers to add Travel notice on their website and that should solve the issue of cards being blocked for no reason.

You can add Avant card to Curve and then add your Curve card to Google Pay or whatever digital wallet you use. No cost to this.

I tried the above a year ago and it didn't work but looks like Curve made Google pay available to Ireland since Sept last year. Will give it another try, thanks for pointing this out.

This is never worked for me when i try to pay using Curve via Google Pay (contactless). I'm always getting "Card not permitted" error in the shop terminal. Other cards work fine.

• Advertisement

It works for both myself and my wife on Google Pay and Garmin Pay.

Most i have got last year is 70-80 eur max as most of the txns dont qualify for cashback ! Average 3-7 eur pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

I am getting nearly 12 every month. I just pay for everything with the credit card now.

I get full 12eur every month but I also use the card for nearly everything and just pay it off each month in full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

I'd say that Avant Money does not offer wide range of customer service options but its customer service over the phone is really good.

Sure, assuming you can get them.

They used to be much better, so whether it's cut backs on staff numbers, or what, I'm not sure...

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

I have had no problems reaching them over the phone either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Neither have I, might have to wait a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Guys if I top up my revolut card with the avantcard credit card, is there a charge?

Yes, there will be a charge equivalent to a cash withdrawal charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Yes - don't use Avantcard to top up Revolut if you can avoid it.

I got caught out a few months ago. I normally use another credit card to top up, but decided to use Avantcard for a change.

It's treated like a cash withdrawal and attracts fees and interest.

@Rock Paper Scissors , pay back the money into your Avantcard account asap if you can.

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mick23

hi what credit card did you use to top up revolut that didnt attract a charge ? got stung on charges from avant recently whereas before they didnt view it as a cash withdrawal.

Thanks lads, won't use Rev to topup Avant Card

I remember reading on boards that AIB credit card doesn't treat Revolut top ups as cash withdrawal.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭pathogan2008

BOI Mastercard should be okay to topup Revolut.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

KBC didn't charge fees for topping up a Revolut when I done it last but that was probably over a year ago.

Are you lads talking about Credit Cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Anyone get their cashback for August yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Is there an update list of vendors to get cashback from?

Advertisement