Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipped Hotel Staff

Options
  • 12-12-2019 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

Wasn't sure but went with Consumer Issues.

I stay in a hotel once or twice a month for one or two nights at a time. Coming up to Christmas I leave a tip at reception in an envelope for the receptionists. There are four of them.

In previous years they would give me a call or an email to say thanks. This year I didn't hear anything. The receptionist I handed the envelope to is new, there a few months. I'm just wondering if she thought it was for meant for her and didn't say anything to the others.

Is there a way I could check this out without causing offence to her or anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

If you didn't specify that the tip was to be shared then it's perfectly reasonable to her to assume the tip was for her alone. If that's the case I would just move on and make sure not to make the same mistake for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Wasn't sure but went with Consumer Issues.

I stay in a hotel once or twice a month for one or two nights at a time. Coming up to Christmas I leave a tip at reception in an envelope for the receptionists. There are four of them.

In previous years they would give me a call or an email to say thanks. This year I didn't hear anything. The receptionist I handed the envelope to is new, there a few months. I'm just wondering if she thought it was for meant for her and didn't say anything to the others.

Is there a way I could check this out without causing offence to her or anyone else?

You could ask a manager to discretely enquire whether it was shared but it could cause issues with the other receptionists even though the girl in question might have made a genuine mistake. Basically if it wasn't shared it will be very akward for the girl in question assuming she did believe it was for her alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I addressed the note in the envelope to "Ladies". I'd say she would have at least wondered if that amount was meant for one person.

Probably just leave it.

I would ask one of the other receptionists if they got their share, only way to know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Just forget about it.

• Advertisement

I see no harm in asking, to be honest. Especially if they always gave you a call in the past to thank you. It's a reasonable and fair enquiry to make, in my opinion.

Especially if you stay there often. Last thing you want is to be getting the cold shoulder because of someone else's mistake. That said, if the amount you gave was substantial enough, then I'm sure, at the very least, the girl that you gave it to, if she did think it was all for herself, would have rang and thanked you anyway (or will be giving you very, very 'special treatment' on your next visit :p ).

But seriously, i don't see the issue with asking. If you stay there regularly enough then you probably know the receptionists to chat to, regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

(or will be giving you very, very 'special treatment' on your next visit :p ).

what a strange creepy comment to make

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I know someone with years of experience in the hospitality industry and they recommend leaving a tip for the cleaners at the end of your stay (or every day) - because they're the ones that get the least recognition and are generally paid the worst too.

what a strange creepy comment to make

How so?

How so?

Very Very "Special Treatment" and your seedy little smiley,

its quite odd for a grown man to say such a thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Oh just leave it

I took it as a joke

Build a bridge

vicwatson wrote: »
    Oh just leave it

I took it as a joke

Build a bridge

he asked me to explain so i did...

dont see why you need to white knight him tbh

build your own bridge

he asked me to explain so i did...

dont see why you need to white knight him tbh

build your own bridge

You don’t own boards, it’s open for all to comment
    He made a joke, big deal

I have not once claimed ownership of boards

anyways

Merry Christmas to you

Thanks

It was intended as a joke.

However, for clarity..

If the OP is concerned about the tip being pocketed by one person, and we're lead to believe it's a fairly substantial tip that was supposed to be spread between four different staff members, then you'd better believe that if the one member of staff thought a substantial tip was meant just for her, she will definitely think the OP is into her (especially as she's new there) and will either be shocked and disgusted (unlikely) or milk it for all it's worth and go above and beyond to make sure they get the same/similar again as often as they can.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think that's enough on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Who tips hotel reception staff? The boom is back in fashion it seems. I usually tip the housekeepers in poor countries because it is hard work and mainly to try keep them honest so as not to steal any of my belongings.

Advertisement