Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2 story side extension to a semi d - how to approach it?

Options
  • 17-09-2019 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Hi, we have a corner 3 bed semi D in Dublin 9 which has the advantage of having a lot of room at the side, plenty for a 2 story extension which would effectively double the side of the house. As our family is growing the time has come to kick off the project. We've carried out some works before when we moved in (knocked an internal wall, new heating system, added french doors to the garden at the rear) and also added a front porch extension a couple of years ago. In hindsight while they worked out ok (more or less) I wouldn't want to use the same approach for this project.

I know we'll need an architect, probably a project/construction manager, builder etc. and will need to find alternative accommodation for a couple of months.

What I'm asking is what our options are to get this started, approach an architect directly? What's the best way of finding a good architect? I'm confident we can figure it out but slightly overwhelmed at the moment.

Naturally I've started looking online and have sent queries to a couple of companies who design and build (nuhaus and shomera) but have no idea if these are good or not. We have some ideas about the design and what we want but would like to get input from a professional. Would appreciate any tips or experience from someone who's completed a similar extension.

Our budget will be 180K max for everything, including kitchen and floors etc. Is this realistic? The 2 story extension will be 40 sqm approx, maybe a little less.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can you get recommendations from family or friends?
    I know of the 2 companies you've listed and I heard they really charge for their services!

Getting the design right now, and get your planning lodged to match the budget is the first step.

When are you hoping to build?
    The planning process is 14 weeks from the day to lodge to when you can start building and that doesn't allow for the time taken to survey, prepare plans go through layouts before lodging etc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

as per forum charter, recommendations / comments on specific companies by PM thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

kceire wrote: »
    Can you get recommendations from family or friends?
    I know of the 2 companies you've listed and I heard they really charge for their services!

Getting the design right now, and get your planning lodged to match the budget is the first step.

When are you hoping to build?
    The planning process is 14 weeks from the day to lodge to when you can start building and that doesn't allow for the time taken to survey, prepare plans go through layouts before lodging etc

Thanks for the reply. With regards to them charging for their services we'll have limited time to give to it so having a company who will manage the whole thing is definitely a plus, once the budget is met.

We'd be hoping to start in maybe February or March next year.

If we go to an architect directly would you usually have a project manager or engineer who deals with the builder and watches the schedule and budget for you? That's the part I'm probably least clear on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

rickyjb wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. With regards to them charging for their services we'll have limited time to give to it so having a company who will manage the whole thing is definitely a plus, once the budget is met.

We'd be hoping to start in maybe February or March next year.

If we go to an architect directly would you usually have a project manager or engineer who deals with the builder and watches the schedule and budget for you? That's the part I'm probably least clear on.

Leaving the budget and supervision to the guys that are building is a complete no no. You should have independent oversight, inspection and certification.

Advertisement