Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedroom wooden flooring

Options
  • 08-09-2019 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭

100 year old farmhouse. I’m thinking of replacing bedroom carpets with new wooden flooring (we had a peak under current carpets and flooring appears very basic). What wooden flooring would you suggest? I tend to like wider planks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,105 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What ever style you like but is this a ground floor room...is there any base or insulation under the floor....sometime it can be just clay under a floor which woule mean pouring a new base then installing the new floor...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

What ever style you like but is this a ground floor room...is there any base or insulation under the floor....sometime it can be just clay under a floor which woule mean pouring a new base then installing the new floor...

Thanks for the quick reply. Upstairs bedrooms. There is wooden flooring underneath carpet but it’s basic enough. House is in good nick and I’m hoping it’s just a case of laying flooring.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,105 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If it's 100yr old planks and there not destroyed the old wooden floor might look great when given a little tlc. I'm bringing an old building back to life at the moment was hoping to save the floors but there's been so many dodgy off line repairs done I'll have to put down new ones.
    If the floors are even you should be able to just put down some floor insulation once you pull up the carpet and lay your new floor on that. Should make it less creaky and warmer.

Syle up up to yourself, you could white wash them for that Scandinavian look or darkened floors seem to be trendy at the moment. It could be a bit of work save them but it's all DIY if there healthy. Probably some gaps at this stage in it but when it's all done up it might add to that aged look.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when you say 'basic', what do you mean? not an option to sand and varnish them?
    however, if they're old, one issue you might have is that they're probably not tongue and groove, so will be gappy, which might be an issue with draughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

To my inexperienced eye, they don’t look good enough to sand. I like wide planks - would they suit? (bedrooms quite small)

• Advertisement
Advertisement