Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quantity Surveyor

Options
  • 16-06-2019 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

We have just bought a property (1940s semi-D in South Dublin) that will require some extension to suit our family needs. A number of houses on the road have had extensions done, some larger than others, and to get a better handle on what our budget might achieve in the current environment I had thought about using a neighbor’s house plans as a template (the plans are detailed and from their planning application) and asking a quantity surveyor to estimate the costs for different elements (e.g. attic room, two floor extension where garage is, kitchen extension, rear second floor extension and general upgrading). I know my budget wont achieve all they have done but the goal is to have a better sense of what individual aspects cost of the extension will cost, and a visual idea of what this looks like from the plans so I am in a better position to determine where we should spend our money.

I have no experience in building and my questions is if this approach makes sense or am I better off talking to an architect or builder?

If a QS is what we need, does anyone know a good QS that could help me with this? Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

Depends what your budget is. A QS in Dublin will most likely fleece you on an hourly or project fee.

Does your neighbours drawings have specification and construction details? If so you could use the drawings and submit them to several builders in a tendering process. Tell each builder to price for everything on the drawings/spec and choose the guy who is the lowest price even if he's above your budget. You could then sit down with him/her and discuss omissions to make the renovation affordable and/or fit to your budget.

I don't think a QS is required for renovation type works, especially not on a tight budget. However, if you really want a piece of mind that you're not being taking for a ride by what ever builder you choose. Your problem is however, a QS will charge you a nice fee to come to the house and measure/price everything you want done, especially if you don't have an architect. You can avoid needing a QS completely by taking the advice from the first paragraph.

Further to the neighbours renovations, is it possible for you to call to them and ask them for their drawings (if they employed an architect) or is it possible to get the name of the builder and their cost? I know it's dark place when asking about money especially with how weird we are about it in Ireland but it's worth an ask. That could be your best bet to getting an idea of cost and a competent builder.

Soruce: I'm a QS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What about copyright here guys of the planning drawings...?
    You just cannot lift them off the planning site and hawk them around as suggested by lemonkey

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

What about copyright here guys of the planning drawings...?
    You just cannot lift them off the planning site and hawk them around as suggested by lemonkey

You are correct but see my third paragraph. Think of my post as process which arrived to an end (paragraph 3) which recommended asking for the drawings.

Advertisement