Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WOW air discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Negative_G wrote: »
    At least we have clarified that a link is, at the very least, useful.

As for the 'on mobile, on the move issue', we both know that's a fallacy. It literally couldnt be easier to share links or sources. Literally could not be any easier.

Anyway, point made. Moving on.

Leave moderation to the moderators. Please make yourself aware of boards.ie rules and the forum charter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Any updates here? Was thinking of booking a flight from Paris to Toronto via Rejkavik in mid March. Travelling with 5 kids so obviously the least disruptions the best and already had booked flights with Primera Air.
    Too risky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Cash from Indigo Partners won’t be available until April as they have to go through all the regulatory stuff, at your own risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yeah I'd say they're goosed.

The LCC model just doesn't really work long haul. I think EI are probably as close to a functional version of it that you'll get.

Edit: Wow (if you'll forgive the pun!), the fleet is down to 11 aircraft, from like 30+ about a year ago? Yeah these guys are rubber ducked. If an aircraft goes tech their ops are in ****e running a fleet that thin. I think the only thing they can hope for is that Icelandair see a little bit of value in the newer A321 leases given their MAX groundings and subsume them that way. I'd imagine the lessors are praying Wow go under so they can get their hands back on those A321s and pitch them for a lot more $$$s than they're currently getting to those hit by the MAX 8 ****show.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Its turning into another Norwegian. Thread on pprune states that potentially cash is being injected by investors and debt for equity swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Things are looking really bad for Wow. I fear they may be gone very soon. I hope I'm wrong for the sake of the staff and all those that have booked flights with them this summer from Ireland. They simply dont have the financial backing that keeps Norwegian afloat. Fingers crossed.

Wow Air A321s TF-NOW and TF-PRO have been repossessed by lessor

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Shn99 wrote: »
    Wow Air A321s TF-NOW and TF-PRO have been repossessed by lessor

Is that official

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

Cash is king. Time will tell if they are solvent and can continue to fly with a reduced fleet. Customer confidence will no doubt take a hit which could lead to further discounting and yield loss and a very quick downward spiral.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Reading that article it mentions that they 4x A330neo on order. That’s a bit of a stretch for an LCC who had only recently started operating 3x A330ceos.

They seemed to be a good airline but you have to wonder at the overstretch of some LCCs. WOW had taken delivery of several A321neos, surely an A32ceo would work for them in their location? New would have far larger leasing costs.
    Norwegian are similar with their massive investments in B787s and B737MAXs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭john boye

Tenger wrote: »
    Reading that article it mentions that they 4x A330neo. That’s a bit of a stretch for an LCC who had only recently started operating 3x A330ceos.

Think they've 2 sitting completed in Toulouse ntu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

john boye wrote: »
    33590774908_0d77a762f3_b.jpg

john boye wrote: »
    Edit;That’s a cool photo EchoIndia.

Oh. That’s pretty bad. Not just deposit paid but already assembled.
    At what point is the cash transferred, prior to delivery?

They will be snapped up once the leasing company gets approval. Assuming they were going to be leased rather than outright purchases. Wikipedia shows Avolon and ALFC having a decent number of -900s on order as of end January.

https://m.planespotters.net/production-list/Airbus/A330neo

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Airbus_A330_orders_and_deliveries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I think it's cash on delivery. In the current market I don't think you'd have any trouble getting someone to take metal, the time limiting factor is any alterations to cabin and livery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

All flights postponed pending documentation of equity raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Wow has ceased operations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

No great surprise unfortunately - the mood music has not been good for some time.

Yet another low cost long haul operator bites the dust.

No great shame. Grab market share by deep discounting below cost forcing established airlines to cut fares, yields, wages etc. Contribute little to the local economies that they operate into and no doubt will leave a number of Irish companies out of pocket with their demise. At least the industry is buoyant for those out of work that have had the misfortune to be associated with this outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Surely Norweigan are next. Low cost/long haul doesn't work. Ryanair were right to bide their time.

Yours sincerely,

An idiot who knows nothing about aviation so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Saw an a US spotters group that the KEF-BOS flight landed and after disembarkation was towed to a cargo area. Pax had already been checked in the BOS-KEF flight. Flight was scheduled at 2340 Irish time. Notice said ‘ceased operations’ ‘options to rebook may be avail on other airlines”, “more info at 9am” (8am Irish)

https://www.thejournal.ie/icelandic-budget-airline-wow-air-suspends-all-flights-4564484-Mar2019/

Getting stranded in KEF might be a bad situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

We'll see Alex Macheras all over the media now today. Man is like the grim reaper of airline failures - Insta-stories in rapid succession with "exclusive" and "breaking" details of the failure and not one fig given for the staff affected. I hope passengers get where they need to go and that the staff find themselves back in a job somewhere ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

troyzer wrote: »
    Surely Norweigan are next.

i wouldn’t be surprised tbh

Tenger wrote: »
    Saw an a US spotters group that the KEF-BOS flight landed and after disembarkation was towed to a cargo area. Pax had already been checked in the BOS-KEF flight. Flight was scheduled at 2340 Irish time. Notice said ‘ceased operations’ ‘options to rebook may be avail on other airlines”, “more info at 9am” (8am Irish)

https://www.thejournal.ie/icelandic-budget-airline-wow-air-suspends-all-flights-4564484-Mar2019/

Getting stranded in KEF might be a bad situation.

Unfortunate for Icelandair that they can’t swoop in with extra rescue flights due to their MAX grounding

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Or Norwegian become the Monopoly !! They would have filled many planes right now if they could capitalise on wow's demise.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

Any chance this could free up some planes which Norwegian could rent, to accommodate the grounded boeing 737's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

troyzer wrote: »
    Surely Norweigan are next. Low cost/long haul doesn't work. Ryanair were right to bide their time.

Yours sincerely,

An idiot who knows nothing about aviation so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Another one here who knows nothing apart from a passing interest but wasn't Ryanair's 'plan' to only sell economy cheap but have a very good business class which would cover the discounts on economy seats. I don't think WOW did this? Were they completely low cost?

Advertisement