Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mice or ??

• 19-09-2019 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

I have something in my attic but I don't know what. I heard noises at the weekend so I baited 2 rat traps and a mouse trap with chocolate along putting down poison. The chocolate was taken and traps not activated, poison not touched. I then put peanut butter on the traps thinking it would be more difficult to get off. I woke at 3.30 this morning and could hear noise where I had the traps. Just checked them now and peanut butter gone but again traps not activated. Poison remains untouched.
    I also have a plug in thingy but it's on the landing as no socket in the attic. I am reluctant to bait the traps again as I feel like I'm feeding them! There's no droppings that I can see or smell.
    Any ideas from anyone what this can be??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You need to set the traps on a hair trigger. Mice are light and can dance on a trap, without setting it off, that's set too tight.

I'd imagine a rat, being bigger, wou set a Mouse trap off no matter how tight it is set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Try cutting a small square of gauze/bandage and then smear that in peanut butter before hooking the lot on to the trap.

As it's chewing the peanut butter (and the gauze) the gauze should pull on the trap and trigger it.

Or try sticking a nut in the middle of the peanut butter (so the nut is stuck on the trap) and the pulling should trigger the trap.

A bit of sausage or hot dog attached onto the trap should work too.

If there's nothing and bait is still disappearing then it might not be mice that you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Stigura

Buy a Mars Bar and get back to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You could try battery electrocution traps, they don't require weight to activate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

This thread is making me hungry!!

Defo mice! As suggested... need to set the trap right on the edge. Leave the bait holder right to the edge of the pin. Makes it harder for you to place it, but just make sure you hold it from the edges....might take a couple of goes to get it down without setting it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If it’s rats then put up some Brennan’s brown sliced pan, they love that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I'd get rid of the poison. You don't want one dying in a wall cavity and making the house stink

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

i had the same problem. I Got a pre baited plastic mouse trap that is much easier to set and it worked where the wooden ones failed. you can top up the bait and the trap clicks into place ...the trap is much easier to set.

They were taking chunks of cheese off the old wooden ones because I could set them light enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

So I put up more mouse traps and set them so they would go off with a breathe nearly and nothing! The bait is still there and I haven't heard anything. I'm going to get my gutters cleaned and checked next week so hopefully that will shed light on where they are getting in

Advertisement