Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY gift suggestions?

Options
  • 19-09-2019 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

My husbands birthday is coming up. He has been accumulating tools for the last year since we moved into our new house. He has a good drill and drill bits. DIY has become a bit of a hobby/interest for him and I'd like to get him something DIY related for his birthday.
    Can you think of any home DIY essentials that you would recommend (things you use regularly or can't live without)? I could then go through what he has and get things that he might like. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

If he's working with timber and already has a good drill then you can't go wrong with adding an impact driver and/or an random orbit sander and if he's already got one.

Something like these are DIY level, not too bad quality but not pro stuff either:

https://www.mydiy.ie/products/ryobi-rid1801-one-18v-impact-driver-18-volt-bare-unit.html
    https://www.mydiy.ie/products/ryobi-r18ros-0-one-18v-random-orbit-sander-18-volt-bare-unit.html

They're both "bare units" so you'll have to buy at least one battery and charger too, or a kit like this containing a combination:

https://www.mydiy.ie/products/ryobi-rc18120-213-one-compact-charger-18v-and-2-x-18v-13ah-li-ion-batteries.html

Obviously budget comes into play too. The Ryobi stuff would be seen as a step above the likes of Aldi/Lidl's stuff but below the likes of Bosch, DeWalt etc.

If he's doing more general work about the house, hanging shelves and so on, then a stud/cable/pipe finder could be a useful present; something like this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Professional-Detector-protective-detection/dp/B0046041C8/ref=sr_1_23?keywords=stud+finder&qid=1568896239&sr=8-23

Knowing what his current drill is, what he's interested in and a rough budget will help people suggest more accurate/appropriate options.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Knowing what his current drill is, what he's interested in and a rough budget will help people suggest more accurate/appropriate options.

He recently bought himself 2 Makita drills (I think he said one is for hammering?...it works on bricks).
    He just does odd jobs around the house, repairs, hanging light fixtures, hanging pictures...etc. Nothing too big like making things from scratch.
    So I was thinking of tools, accessories that he could use in the coming years. I was thinking of a budget of 300euro-ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Check what drills he has and if they are 18V battery versions (take a picture and post it if not sure).

If he has 18V batteries then this is a really nice extra Makita DML808 LED Flashlight, 18 V

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Always important for hubby to have a good drill:D

What about a multi tool.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/erbauer-emt300-qc-300w-multi-tool-220-240v.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3tir-Ird5AIVDUTTCh0_hggHEAQYASABEgLVTvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Its very versatile and takes up very little room, unlike the compound mitre saw.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭victor8600

A set of boxes / bags for keeping tools and bits organized?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

ClubDead wrote: »
    He recently bought himself 2 Makita drills (I think he said one is for hammering?...it works on bricks).
    He just does odd jobs around the house, repairs, hanging light fixtures, hanging pictures...etc. Nothing too big like making things from scratch.
    So I was thinking of tools, accessories that he could use in the coming years. I was thinking of a budget of 300euro-ish.

With your budget and the kind of work he's doing around the place I think you could easily do a couple of the ideas here.

- Calahonda52's multitool; as my3cents suggested; check the type of his existing batteries - and check for a compatible Makita multitool; chances are you'll end up with one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-DTM51Z-Multi-Tool-18-V/dp/B00QEBOE0Q (but you've got to do that compatibility check)
    - victor8600's storage -> one of these units from Rutlands is a good start: https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+hand-tools-tool-storage-tool-boxes-organisers-premium-tool-box-system-with-castors-rutlands+dk9000
    - the stud/cable finder that I recommended above would be a shoe-in and is definitely worth it for anyone drilling holes into walls in a house. Anything that helps avoid hitting power cables and water pipes is good.

That lot comes in around your budget - I wish my wife would come up with combinations like that for me! (actually I can't complain, she lets me store my sheets of plywood under the stairs :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

:) Know what? I think Victor's nailed it! One of the handiest things I ever bought:

P9190420tn.jpg
    I can pick that up and lug it down to the stables ~ or where ever ~ and there's my tools. Beats the blazes out of marching back up here, because I haven't brought some stupid thing (like a pencil!) with me.

Same would apply to a house. He can fetch his entire tool kit and have everything on hand, beside him. And these modern 'Totes' beat the hell out of the old, blue, steel 'collapsible tool boxes' my Dad used to cart about.

Tell ye another thing? See that orangey thing, far right? That's a little, plastic spirit level. 9" long. My mum bought me that ~ just on some mad impulse. Because it's a tool and she thought I might use it.

Decades ago, that was. And, ye know what? That damn thing's had more use than most of my tools put together! I'm endlessly whipping it out ~ thinking " Thanks, mum! " ~ and doing untold little jobs with it :)

Other than that? What's every DIY man need more than a mate?! Sadly, the old B&D Workmate is no longer worth the cheap ****e it's made of. And, I'm sure, this forum could argue for ever over which is best now.

Personally, I have a Keter. But, the Pegasus doesn't look too bad ..... Has he got a portable base to work on? Something clampy, that he can get stuff done on / with, without having to ask you to hold something?

Just my experience / views. But, three hundred quid could probably buy me a whole shed load more useful bits and pieces. Trouble is knowing Which! I'd figure it out. But, no bugger else on this whole forum could guess it.

Do Screwfix do gift vouchers ....?

listermint wrote: »

And get the stand that goes with it, only bought a stand in recent years and wish I had done so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

my3cents wrote: »
    And get the stand that goes with it, only bought a stand in recent years and wish I had done so long ago.

This times a hundred. The stand masked a huge difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

I picked up a couple of these a while ago from Amazon they are great.
    Stanley 194745 Sortmaster Organiser https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002KHLRTE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qngHDbDP4VBXZ
    Also if he hasn't got a tool bag.

HUIJIA 21 Inch Professional Power Tool Bag, Strong Heavy Duty Tools Bag, Multi-pocket, Collapsible Muti Function Technician Bag with 5 Wear Resistant Rubber Base, Shoulder Strap, Black (XL:50×23×32cm) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FS8TLJR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_KugHDb759ADAN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

ClubDead wrote: »

Can u post a pic or model number of his Makita drills. If he has drill and impact, I highly recommend the cordless SDS hammer. Either way, if he is on 18volt Makita, try to look at other 18v Makita stuff like the skillsaw/reciprocating saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

A good quality 3/8" drive socket set and a good set of spanners- useful for all manner of DIY jobs. A LED head torch, good quality spirit level, impact driver is nice but not essential, a vintage Stanley or Record hand plane (No 4, a tool for life), a cast iron Stanley combination square (another tool for life), a 6 or 8" Bahco adjustable wrench (the ones with the wide slim jaw- ideal for plumbing), the list goes on....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

my3cents wrote: »

Picked my stand up the following week. 50 quid in Aldi. Universal. Absolute gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Aldi stands are the exact same as they sell in B&Q and many other places. Prices vary,
    They’re a great stand, very stable and there’s extendable rollers out the sides which are very handy.

The stand I bought was from Lidl looks identical to a lot of the others only the colour and branding changes.

The Universal mount is the same on all of them so they will all take any chop saw and can even mount the small bandsaws they sell.

Advertisement