Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lean to roof in alley

Options
  • 15-09-2019 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm getting inquires for a lean to roof for the side alley as I plan on having a few weights and a squat rack at the side of the house.
    My house is a semi detached house and I would need a gutter as I have a neighbour beside me.
    An issue is we have the gas funnel or whatever its called at the side of the house too so not sure if I'll be able to get a door there too.
    Can experienced people tell me what prices I'm looking at roughly if getting a polycarbonate roof with a wooden frame and door and gutter? Is there a work aorund for the gas funnel?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

What's a gas funnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Probably the flue pipe from a gas boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭granty1892

Cerco wrote: »
    Probably the flue pipe from a gas boiler.

Yeah that's it. Sorry I'm not very savvy in that specific lingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

So the pic is not your place - its what you want to achieve?

I wouldn't roof over the exhaust of a gas boiler and then go training in there, whether there's a door on it or not.

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    So the pic is not your place - its what you want to achieve?

I wouldn't roof over the exhaust of a gas boiler and then go training in there, whether there's a door on it or not.

yeah its what i want. No, the roof would be below the exhaust of the gas boiller i understand the dangers of having it within the confounds of the area enclosed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

If you want a higher roof then I would look at getting an extractor fan piped onto the flue outlet. It could be wired back to boiler control so as to power on with the boiler. Check with your RGI to make sure it would not cause any issues. They may have a better solutionas you will not be the first facing a similar issue.

granty1892 wrote: »
    yeah its what i want. No, the roof would be below the exhaust of the gas boiller i understand the dangers of having it within the confounds of the area enclosed

If the roof will be below the flue, then just ignore the flue and carry on, as it'll be outside your 'room' anyway, so you won't have to concern yourself with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

Did you get any costs back?
    Would be interested in what kind of quotes you're getting and who's quoting (carpenter, builder, roofer, handyman....)?

Reg_hurley wrote: »
    Did you get any costs back?
    Would be interested in what kind of quotes you're getting and who's quoting (carpenter, builder, roofer, handyman....)?

quotes coming back are between 1,000-1200 but alot are not interested in doing the job maybe as its too small......

• Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You'd hardly fit a squat rack in that size of space though... ? very awkward space for doing weights in tbh

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    You'd hardly fit a squat rack in that size of space though... ? very awkward space for doing weights in tbh

i disagree. ive been training there two years and have found it fine. olympic press, deadlifting, squats etc do not need much space and/or movement so would be fine. But each to their own........

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

quotes coming back are between 1,000-1200 but alot are not interested in doing the job maybe as its too small......
    Thanks. I didnt even get the costs, just nobody interested in doing it.

Looking at planning it DIY myself now but reckon it might be a step to far for a novice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭listermint

i disagree. ive been training there two years and have found it fine. olympic press, deadlifting, squats etc do not need much space and/or movement so would be fine. But each to their own........

Fair enough. You could just about pull a motorcycle down that side entrance.

Training in it wow.

Shed for me. But each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Reg_hurley wrote: »
    Thanks. I didnt even get the costs, just nobody interested in doing it.

Looking at planning it DIY myself now but reckon it might be a step to far for a novice.

Trickiest part, technically, would be flashing it to the wall of the house. Loads of videos online.
    If you need a gutter on the other side, like the OP, that can be tricky to get right while conserving space, and not encroaching on your neighbour.. But that would be more of a design thing. The rest is "just screwing wood together" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,233 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OP
    you will need to keep gutter inside on your side.
    It can be done, IMO you fit the wall plate and the gutter first all the way along and then build the rest incrementally without having to walk on it.
    As job says, flashing will be tricky but it can be done

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement