Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way to seal an Indian Sandstone Patio?

• 08-07-2019 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I need to seal the Indian Sandstone in my back garden as I've had it around 4 years now and it needs to be done. Some of the sand between the tiles is starting to lift out too.

Can anyone advise what is the best product to buy to do this and where please? Do I need something like a mop and bucket to spread it over the sandstone? Any tips on the best way to apply it would be appreciated thanks!

102j7sl.jpg

Cheers:D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Hi all,

I need to seal the Indian Sandstone in my back garden as I've had it around 4 years now and it needs to be done. Some of the sand between the tiles is starting to lift out too.

Can anyone advise what is the best product to buy to do this and where please? Do I need something like a mop and bucket to spread it over the sandstone? Any tips on the best way to apply it would be appreciated thanks!

102j7sl.jpg

Cheers:D:D:D

I've used thomsons sandstone cleaner from Woodies, works a treat. You need to have it really clean though befor hand.
    I put it on with a paint roller.
    http://www.hardwarewholesale.co.uk/category-1372/sandstone-seal-satin-25ltr-.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Brilliant, thanks for that The Mulk, MUCH appreciated:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I used a PVA/water mix at @1 to 5 ratio and am delighted with the result on mine.

Brilliant, thanks for that The Mulk, MUCH appreciated:D:D:D

Check out my other thread on cleaning black spots, some good information from the user monkeynuz.

banie01 wrote: »
    I used a PVA/water mix at @1 to 5 ratio and am delighted with the result on mine.

Thanks for the info!

• Advertisement

The Mulk wrote: »
    Check out my other thread on cleaning black spots, some good information from the user monkeynuz.

Informative thread alright thanks for pointing it out:)

I'll keep an eye on it for before and after pics!

That product on the other thread looks good alright, would you advise cleaning it with hypochlorite first before sealing https://www.countrylife.ie/shop/product/Supercleen-Rocklor/9001983?refSrc=9001984&nosto=productpage-nosto-2-mobile

Informative thread alright thanks for pointing it out:)

I'll keep an eye on it for before and after pics!

That product on the other thread looks good alright, would you advise cleaning it with hypochlorite first before sealing https://www.countrylife.ie/shop/product/Supercleen-Rocklor/9001983?refSrc=9001984&nosto=productpage-nosto-2-mobile

Yeah, it looks like you have black lichen on some of your paving.
    Going by some Youtube vids it should come up like new.
    Seal it then.
    In my last house i'd clean it on a dry day, allow it to dry out and seal it the next if it was dry.2 coats
    One coat in the morning and another in the evening, it would keep it good all year and easier to clean, never had any black spots.
    The new house front and back garden are fairly bad

*MAKE SURE IT'S SAFE TO USE ON SANDSTONE*
    (i'm using it on cobble lock)

DON'T LET IT DRY ON THE PAVING, HOSE OFF AS SOON AS IT'S DONE REMOVING THE BLACKSPOTS

Yeah, it looks like you have black lichen on some of your paving.
    Going by some Youtube vids it should come up like new.
    Seal it then.
    In my last house i'd clean it on a dry day, allow it to dry out and seal it the next if it was dry.2 coats
    One coat in the morning and another in the evening, it would keep it good all year and easier to clean, never had any black spots.
    The new house front and back garden are fairly bad

*MAKE SURE IT'S SAFE TO USE ON SANDSTONE*
    (i'm using it on cobble lock)

DON'T LET IT DRY ON THE PAVING, HOSE OFF AS SOON AS IT'S DONE REMOVING THE BLACKSPOTS

Great advice thanks, really appreciate it, I'll check out whether it will work on sandstone alright:)

Hey all, sorry for replying to an old post but I wanted to share the results I got with my Sandstone when cleaning it using 15% Sodium Hypochlorite. It was recommended to use on this thread and did an amazing job on the black lichen that had built up!

Joined.jpg

After doing this I'd now like to seal the sandstone before the winter starts, there is some sand wearing away between the stones so I assume I can fill in any gaps with sand and seal it with a sealing product. Unfortunately I've no idea what product I am looking for and how to apply it. The sealers dedicated to Sandstone itself cost ridiculous money:eek:

5L Stonex Platinum Stone Sealer - €165!

5L Stontex Indian Sandstone Sealer - €115

5L Natural Stone Sealer - €80

Would something like Thompson's 5 Litre Patio & Block Paving Seal do a good job?

Hey all, sorry for replying to an old post but I wanted to share the results I got with my Sandstone when cleaning it using 15% Sodium Hypochlorite. It was recommended to use on this thread and did an amazing job on the black lichen that had built up!

Joined.jpg

After doing this I'd now like to seal the sandstone before the winter starts, there is some sand wearing away between the stones so I assume I can fill in any gaps with sand and seal it with a sealing product. Unfortunately I've no idea what product I am looking for and how to apply it. The sealers dedicated to Sandstone itself cost ridiculous money:eek:

Would something like Thompson's 5 Litre Patio & Block Paving Seal do a good job?

Looks great, well done.

Use "Thompsons Sandstone Seal Satin", i've a link in my first post in this thread. You can get it in Woodies I think, or B&Q.
    Put it on with a roller and paint tray, handy to puit it on and keeps it good for a year.
    It's nearly like a light thin clear varnish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Joined.jpg

banie01 wrote: »

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/alphachem-contractors-pva-5kg-4013006.html?name=PVA&type=simple

Looks great, well done.

Use "Thompsons Sandstone Seal Satin", i've a link in my first post in this thread. You can get it in Woodies I think, or B&Q.
    Put it on with a roller and paint tray, handy to puit it on and keeps it good for a year.
    It's nearly like a light thin clear varnish

I asked about that in Woodies but they said they don't sell it anymore, I can check B&Q thanks!

WOW, I'll definitely look at that thanks:D

Can buy them in 25 litres amounts in the same place too.

Sealers will all need top ups every few years so tbh id just go with this stuff. its more economical and very similar to other sealers. The sometimes have additives for moss protection but its debatable if that stuff even does what it says.

For me, clean everyfew years and reapply a sealer (in this case the pva)

You can get a generic patio sealer in Homebase for about €15 for a 5ltr tin.

I used it on mine. Lasted the best part of a year, so definitely something that'd require annual top ups. But it worked well.

https://www.homebase.co.uk/weathertite-patio-block-paving-seal-5l_p382126

Gives a bit of a gloss finish, but isn't slippery.

listermint wrote: »
    Can buy them in 25 litres amounts in the same place too.

Sealers will all need top ups every few years so tbh id just go with this stuff. its more economical and very similar to other sealers. The sometimes have additives for moss protection but its debatable if that stuff even does what it says.

For me, clean everyfew years and reapply a sealer (in this case the pva)

Great advice thanks listermint, my other question is related to sand in between the stones, some of it has come out(some moss started to grow) and possibly needs to be filled back in, can I just get a bag of sand, fill in the gaps and then seal the lot? I saw a bag of 'filler' sand in Woodies, would that do the job?

Great advice thanks listermint, my other question is related to sand in between the stones, some of it has come out(some moss started to grow) and possibly needs to be filled back in, can I just get a bag of sand, fill in the gaps and then seal the lot? I saw a bag of 'filler' sand in Woodies, would that do the job?

Great information on gap fillers for pavers in this thread here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058008038&page=2

listermint wrote: »
    Great information on gap fillers for pavers in this thread here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058008038&page=2

Great info thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Commenting to bookmark this thread for myself.

Just had a job done on my sandstone patio, and it's blindingly bright and clean 😁

If anyone has any further tips/advice on sealing, please feel free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭in2dark

What products did you use to

A. Clean?

B. Seal?

@HeidiHeidi

I have limestone and want to have it cleaned and sealed.

I take care of it every now and again with powerwasher but its a pain.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Following this too! I have black limestone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sorry, sorry - I saw this post, and then completely forgot about it!!

I didn't use anything myself - I got a job done on the whole "garden" (a patio with a few raised beds and plants/trees) - yer man used some solution with a power washer, I suspect it was some form of bleach (I was afraid he'd kill off all my lovely plants, but it hasn't so far).

I haven't sealed it - I had some sealant left over from when I did my sandstone flags in the kitchen (which I think are actually outdoor tiles), so tried a spot test with that - but realised you'd need an absolute bucket of the stuff for the outside area. So I haven't done it, and probably won't now - i get a job done on the place once a year, so if it gets done properly as part of that it's enough - it gets very scraggy/manky looking towards the end of autumn, but I'll put up with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Don't use PVA whatever you do, lads and lassies.

It's not for sealing external stone, mortar or brickwork. It's fine indoors where there is no risk of moisture buildup, or is just being used as a dust-proofer.

Advertisement