Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish traffic lights facilitate red light breaking?

Options
  • 18-09-2019 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Isn't it ridiculous as how when a red light comes on, it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds for the other traffic light to turn green. Therefore encouraging and actually facilitating red light breaking. Drive up to northern Ireland and see an efficient system, the second the light turns red, the other traffic light turn green and if you brake the red light for a second, you're gonna crash.
    End result = everyone obeys traffic lights.
    What is the logic of waiting for up to 10 seconds for the opposite light to turn green other than to allow red light breakers to pass through?
    All other European countries have a proper red, yellow, green sequence...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Show me a country where people don't break red lights.

Extra few seconds can save lives given the general attitude to amber and red.

In every country.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭The Alpha

wonski wrote: »
    Show me a country where people don't break red lights.

Extra few seconds can save lives given the general attitude to amber and red.

In every country.

I assume you have proof that the Irish have the best system? Waiting for studies. Hmm wonder why Germans don't follow such a system...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I notice lately that some roadwork lights are using a red orange green sequence.
    It seems to work ok and traffic moves more smoothly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's not a lights problem it's a people problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The Alpha wrote: »
    Isn't it ridiculous as how when a red light comes on, it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds for the other traffic light to turn green. Therefore encouraging and actually facilitating red light breaking. Drive up to northern Ireland and see an efficient system, the second the light turns red, the other traffic light turn green and if you brake the red light for a second, you're gonna crash.
    What is the logic of waiting for up to 10 seconds for the opposite light to turn green other than to allow red light breakers to pass through?

those few seconds are the only thing that stop our absolute pisstake attitude with yellow lights descending into carnage every day.

• Advertisement

It's not a lights problem it's a people problem.

Absolutely not true, make the other lights turn green instantly and see the red light braking stop very very quickly. Once people realise that if you cross the junction on red, you're gonna crash. Red light braking rates would go down to almost zero.

those few seconds are the only thing that stop our absolute pisstake attitude with yellow lights descending into carnage every day.

Yes carnage. As you say npc.

I assume you have proof that the Irish have the best system? Waiting for studies. Hmm wonder why Germans don't follow such a system...

No, just an experience.

I don't get why you think Irish drivers are any worse or better in this regard.

Its the same all over Europe. Italy is the worst imo, but Poland isn't far. East Europe bad in general.

Sure, nobody speeds or run red light in Germany you think?

Ireland is a breeze when it comes to driving in my opinion. We might lack a driver training in some areas, but are not suicidal as much as some claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bmc58

Absolutely not true, make the other lights turn green instantly and see the red light braking stop very very quickly. Once people realise that if you cross the junction on red, you're gonna crash. Red light braking rates would go down to almost zero.

How many of stupid Irish drivers would be killed or badly injured before Irish drivers cop on to the new sequence of the lights?We are so set in our ways now regarding light breaking (all drivers know they have a few seconds before the other side gets the green) that to suddently change the light sequence would cause hundreds of deaths (admittedly of stupid drivers).Are you happy with the consequences of such a sudden change to road rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

No one said Ireland has the best system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Someone blasted their horn at me once for stopping at a set of temporary traffic lights when they turned amber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

bmc58 wrote: »
    How many of stupid Irish drivers would be killed or badly injured before Irish drivers cop on to the new sequence of the lights?We are so set in our ways now regarding light breaking (all drivers know they have a few seconds before the other side gets the green) that to suddently change the light sequence would cause hundreds of deaths (admittedly of stupid drivers).Are you happy with the consequences of such a sudden change to road rules.

Delighted. I believe the term is called natural selection.

tcawley29 wrote: »

But 50% casualties would be in the right.

Dont think that's acceptable ;)

Sure we can punish them for not reading the road ahead and not expecting the unexpected...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭bmc58

But what about the one who is obeying the rules and is wiped out?That is certainly NOT natural selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What a bizarre post.
    You would be delighted for someone to be killed in a car crash?

Dont think you know what natural selection is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Why is it a pisstake?

It's an effort to ensure people clear the junction before allowing more traffic into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Someone blasted their horn at me once for stopping at a set of temporary traffic lights when they turned amber.

That was probably me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Red light cameras with fines/penalty points would have the same effect without carnage.

An example of the needless aggression we have on our roads.

I'd have just drove around you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Irish lights are terrible. The sequences are far too long and 4 way red for traffic to allow pedestrians to cross rather than integrated with the direction of traffic green is plain dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The long delay between lights is eating up capacity so should be changed.
    It would need a nationwide campaign to make people aware of changes then firstly tighten up on red light jumpers with fines and then slowly start reducing delay timing on the lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

One thing to consider is that the amber period on many lights is not properly calibrated to allow a car travelling at a normal speed to clear the junction before it ends, even if they entered on green.

Quite a few large junctions, particularly on a right turn filter, you enter just before the green phase ends, doing a slowish speed beween about 20-30 km/h, and the amber phase expires before you've cleared the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

it actually amazes me how many people don't break the lights. No anarchy left in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Irish lights are terrible. The sequences are far too long and 4 way red for traffic to allow pedestrians to cross rather than integrated with the direction of traffic green is plain dumb.

This, absolutely.

The delay between red and green on crossing sides of a junction is fairly normal - you'll find it pretty much anywhere, some ROR are often based on such delay (as in, allowing to complete a right turn once you entered a junction even AFTER the red came up on your side). If a set of lights doesn't allow that delay, it simply means it's been badly calibrated.

Also yes, timings and distribution of traffic lights in most Irish cities is infuriating with far, far, far too many light sets are in places they should never have been, like...

- On roundabouts, whose one and only reason to exist is that they allow a more fluid flow of traffic compared to straight junctions with lights;

- pedestrian crossings very close to junctions (often less than 50 meters after the junction)
    - Pedestrian crossings on the EXITS or roundabouts; This probably takes the cake as they tend to block the entire roundabout. The Donaghmede/Clongriffin roundabout on the R139 had these installed in the last year, and it's complete chaos at peak times. Kids/teens especially love pushing the button and watch traffic build up.

Also, lights are not synchronized at all - your light turns green and you see the one 300 meters down the same road turning red as you approach it. Stop every time, huge waste of time, lots of energy to stop/start, much more fuel used and obviously more pollution. In many countries, something called "green wave" exists - the lights are synchronized in a way that a car passing a green light at a speed similar or equal to the speed limit, will arrive at all the subsequent lights along the same road while they are green.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,509 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    One thing to consider is that the amber period on many lights is not properly calibrated to allow a car travelling at a normal speed to clear the junction before it ends, even if they entered on green.

Quite a few large junctions, particularly on a right turn filter, you enter just before the green phase ends, doing a slowish speed beween about 20-30 km/h, and the amber phase expires before you've cleared the junction.

So you complete your turn and all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

If a bike goes through at 10mph it's going to need time to get through the junction. It's not rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

dsmythy wrote: »
    So you complete your turn and all is well.

At present yes. Should the OP's suggestion of an immediate green light for oncoming traffic be enacted then you've got a problem for motorists who didn't break the lights.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Also, lights are not synchronized at all - your light turns green and you see the one 300 meters down the same road turning red as you approach it. Stop every time, huge waste of time, lots of energy to stop/start, much more fuel used and obviously more pollution. In many countries, something called "green wave" exists - the lights are synchronized in a way that a car passing a green light at a speed similar or equal to the speed limit, will arrive at all the subsequent lights along the same road while they are green.

This green wave was actually claimed to be a part of the 30 km/h zones when they were first introduced in Dublin around 2009 by the then Lord Mayor (Labour). Total codology obvs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

With the presence of every red light, a row of spikes should make an appearance from terra-firma, deterring any renegades. When it's time to go again, and all the poor pedestrians have cleared off, the spikes will relent.

This system is on the way apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

a simple camera with a sign linked to othe other side saying ' expect a ticket ' that flashes up if you run a red
    similar to the radar speed signs coming into villages would work well no ?

the worry alone would stop people doing it , judging by the way people come on boards asking about speed vans like they just got a serious medical diagnosis .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Even if you have right of way it's always better to avoid collisions.

There's zero point in changing any of our legislation to fix road issues, or most of our other problems, what we need to do is enforce our current laws and if that doesn't work then see about making new ones.

Advertisement