Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to throw away plaster board??

Options
  • 18-09-2019 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I just did a DIY project and moved a small wall.

Now I have some broken sheets of plaster/gypsum.

Not allowed to put in bin, not allowed to take to recycling in Swords, not allowed to put in my skip bag....

Where the h... do I put this stuff?

I’m willing to pay to do it correctly but only thing I managed to find was to rent a construction skip for 600€
    Not paying 600 to get rid of 4-5 broken sheets of plaster board...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

This can’t go in the bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's not asbestos..,

Bin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Depending on how big the pieces are put them on Adverts.
    Fingal County council amenity should take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ballyogan takes plasterboard (its specifically listed on their website), I assume there's an equivalent council facility on the Northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ballyogan recycling centre on the south side definitely takes it. There must be an equivalent recycling centre nearer you.

(Edit: basically what he said! ^ that’s so strange)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

crae wrote: »
    Not allowed to put in bin, not allowed to take to recycling in Swords,

I've taken plaster board sheets to swords.

Is the change fairly recent?

Break it up and cut a hole in your pocket.
    Walk around town and spread it around.
    I seen it in a movie last Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Break it up and cut a hole in your pocket.
    Walk around town and spread it around.
    I seen it in a movie last Christmas.

Yep, the sawed shlab reduction. good film.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Swords will probably take it, just not for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Plaster Board! :D Forgive me for going completely off at a tangent. But, I trust the OP has his answer now?

No. The very mention of plaster board always brings back a memory I cherish! Thirty odd years ago, it was. Still see it acted out now, in my minds eye. Clear as day.

I was sat in a shed, sheltering from rain which was coming down like stair rods. Had been for hours. And, directly opposite my cubby, on the other side of the road, was a compound. Chain link fenced. Happened to be a sheet of plaster board, laying on the concrete.

Suddenly, this young buck appears. He's not the sharpest tool in the box. That's clear. Because he hasn't even got a jacket on! I mean, it's bouncing off the floor like bullets here!

He shuffles over to this board. Stands there ~ arms hanging loosely by his sides. Chin on his chest. Staring balefully down at this board. Already, I'm thinking; " NO!!! GTF! No Way!!! "

Rain's cascading off his fringe ~ and his bottom lip! ~ as he stares at this, completely saturated, board. Time stands still .....

Then, to my utter disbelief and unforgettable delight; He Goes For It!!! Bends at the waist. One, drooping, simian arm hangs down. He grips the Corner of the board! :D

Of course; About an eight inch slab of dripping, crumbling mush came away in his hand. He started at it, obviously trying to comprehend what had just happened. Then shuffled back to whence he'd came.

Me? Rolling around, clutching my aching stomach. Crying with laughter. And swearing to god; I'd probably Still be laughing about that one, thirty years down the line!

Sorry. Just the very Mention of plaster board tends to bring that one back :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 crae

Seem to get different answers depending on who I talk to at the Estuary Recycling in Swords.

But seems they will take it, if it’s a small amount.
    It’s just one wall, should all fit in my car.

I’ll just rock up and hope for the best I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Why wouldn't you just break it up small and put it in waste bin? That's what they're for I thought.

Is this because of move to incineration and away from land fill?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Defo take it in ballymount.
    https://www.sdcc.ie/en/services/environment/recycling-and-waste/recycling-centres/

€21 flat charge per car for landfill items (bit steep if you only have a small bit)
    I see builders with van fulls of it up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I've disposed of it previously in Coolmine recycling centre which is ran by Fingal county council, they had a separate skip solely for plasterboard. €16 for a car load or €8 if just a boot full.

Stigura, enjoy your posts and tales of late. You've a great turn of phrase in a comical yet realistic manner. You'd be a good warrant to write a memoir, I'd say it would be an enjoyable read.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you just break it up small and put it in waste bin? That's what they're for I thought.

Is this because of move to incineration and away from land fill?

Depending on the centre you go to.

They have a Bulky items (generally plasterboard can go here)

or

DIY waste (generally tiles and the likes in here, some places take plasterboard in here too but some go nuts if you put it in there)

listermint wrote: »
    Depending on the centre you go to.

They have a Bulky items (generally plasterboard can go here)

or

DIY waste (generally tiles and the likes in here, some places take plasterboard in here too but some go nuts if you put it in there)

Yeah but I mean your waste bin - all the stuff that is non recyclable. Could you not break it up and dispose of it in there?

Yeah but I mean your waste bin - all the stuff that is non recyclable. Could you not break it up and dispose of it in there?

I tore down a wall in my house, it’s both sides of it so probably about 20-25 sqm of plaster board.

I would have to spread it out during 3-4 months to fit it in my bin (but I did call Panda and they said it was not allowed, some ‘new’ law regarding gypsum)
    And they won’t even take it in their skip bags.
    They will take it in normal skip but then you are ONLY allowed to put plasterboard in it, nothing else.

crae wrote: »
    I tore down a wall in my house, it’s both sides of it so probably about 20-25 sqm of plaster board.

I would have to spread it out during 3-4 months to fit it in my bin (but I did call Panda and they said it was not allowed, some ‘new’ law regarding gypsum)
    And they won’t even take it in their skip bags.
    They will take it in normal skip but then you are ONLY allowed to put plasterboard in it, nothing else.

It's strange as I would have thought gypsum was a fairly natural inert material, they mine it up in Kingscourt. If sandwiched between paper as normal plasterboard, you'd think it is quite suitable for any landfill. But suspect that's the issue, waste doesn't mean waste anymore, it's waste that can be incinerated and guess you can't burn plasterboard.

I guess too why this sort of stuff is often seen dumped in ditches :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's strange as I would have thought gypsum was a fairly natural inert material, they mine it up in Kingscourt. If sandwiched between paper as normal plasterboard, you'd think it is quite suitable for any landfill. But suspect that's the issue, waste doesn't mean waste anymore, it's waste that can be incinerated and guess you can't burn plasterboard.

The issue is that a lot of gypsum waste is produced and it can be recycled, so the idea is to redirect it away from landfill into recycling services like that run by Gyproc, but they only take skips of plasterboard, so I guess the waste contractor is trying to make it easy for themselves by getting the customer to do the segregation.

The skip company I used was fine with mixed building materials going in the skip, as they would do the segregation themselves.

I'm fairly sure that you're not allowed to put plasterboard in your standard non-recycling bin, but of course people do it out of ignorance or laziness and maybe don't get caught so they think it's OK.
    I guess too why this sort of stuff is often seen dumped in ditches :(
    No, that's because people are lazy arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that you're not allowed to put plasterboard in your standard non-recycling bin, but of course people do it out of ignorance or laziness and maybe don't get caught so they think it's OK.

Its not on the not allowed list so I don't see why you couldn't put it in, no mention of building waste at all.
    I'd consider it to be general refuse.

491442.JPG

OP swords should take it, they definitely have a skip up there for bulky waste where I have seen others throw what I would consider to be builders waste.
    There is limits as it is meant for domestic levels of waste not commercial.

Other option might be to keep an eye out for someone getting a skip and if you ask nice they might let you put it in, especially if it is a big skip a few sheets if plasterboard laid flat will take up very little space.

• Advertisement

As mentioned, I talked to Panda, they expressly said I could not do it.
    Neither in the black bin nor in a skip bag.

But Swords Recycling did have a special skip just for plaster board. Charged me 16Euro.
    No idea why the first guy I talked to there (over phone) said I wasn't allowed (maybe he thought I was a business...?)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Its not on the not allowed list so I don't see why you couldn't put it in, no mention of building waste at all.
    I'd consider it to be general refuse.

I think you'd have a hard time convincing anyone that plasterboard is general waste rather than building waste....

Advertisement