Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Supercar rentals around Modena/Maranello

Options
  • 18-09-2019 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Someone told me they hired 458 italia for 30 min drive for about €200. I checked a few places online and you could only get 10-15 mins for that kind of money. Has anyone rented the likes of Ferrari/Lambo for a quick drive in or around Modena, or Maranello in Italy? Any places with good deals you could recommend?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭homik

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Do you really want to drive a supercar around a city at walking pace? Sounds about as much fun as a trip to the dentist to me.

Very good point, sitting in a supercar in traffic wouldn't make much sense. I am looking at options now, to see what people who have been there and done that think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Technique

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I was at the Ferrari museum in Maranello this summer and several of those places are next door. A few things to watch for:

1) Some of the roads in the area are shocking. We saw about 4 cars with freshly broken windcreeens in the short (crappy) section from the Autostrada ext at Modena to Maranello. The basic insurance package on those cars is TP only.

2) Much of Maranello is a kip. Part of your 15-30 minute spin will be spent passing through those areas. If you think it will be 30 minutes of spearing into the distance along a perfectly-surfaced, tree lined road you're going to be disappointed.

3) We spoke to one of the rental operators - the set-up is weird. It was hard to get a straight answer but it seemed if something was awry with the registration or taxation of the cars - the employees will accompany you but they are not allowed drive the cars on the public road. I was given the impression that if as a driver you got stopped driving one of these by the police, you may have some hassle. Now that could just the one place we spoke to, but we saw several prospective customers leave after short chats with the employees. To quote Bubbles, "Something's fcuky". The museum itself has signs warning that the local rental companies are nothing to do with them.

TL:DR - make sure hire company is kosher and check you won't be left on the hook for any dodgy practices.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I was in Maranello once. Wasn't too impressed tbh.

Nurburgring is where it's at for that sort of thing. Alternatively have a look at renting a car (doesn't need to be a supercar by any means) and do an open pit lane trackday (airfield is recommended for a beginner) somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

homik wrote: »
    Someone told me they hired 458 italia for 30 min drive for about €200. I checked a few places online and you could only get 10-15 mins for that kind of money. Has anyone rented the likes of Ferrari/Lambo for a quick drive in or around Modena, or Maranello in Italy? Any places with good deals you could recommend?

Thank you

You can bargain with them on the price, but the drive is literally just a quick blast of a bypass. I wouldn’t waste the money on it to be honest, it’s over before you know it. They’re not great driving roads either, can be congested and aren’t great quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭homik

Didn't go for the Ferrari drive in the end. Instead I visited the Pagani museum and factory, and highly recommend it. I think I spent 2 hrs in the museum alone. The factory tour is about 1 hr. On the way back saw and heard a Huayra BC on the road. I will remember that for long.... :)

Advertisement