Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LED yard lights, pure scrap

Options
  • 05-09-2019 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭

Changed three out of four yard lights last year. Two of the three led lights I put u last year have failed in less than a year, back to halogen for me. Anyone else have the same experience. I don't think they can cope with the humidity in this country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Changed three out of four yard lights last year. Two of the three led lights I put u last year have failed in less than a year, back to halogen for me. Anyone else have the same experience. I don't think they can cope with the humidity in this country.

Need more information....

Cheap?
    Knock offs?
    Lamps, light strips?
    Make, model etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Need more information....

Cheap?
    Knock offs?
    Lamps, light strips?
    Make, model etc.....

Around 40 quid each. Forget the brand. Bought in b&q the equivalent of a 500w halogen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

There are cheap and nasty LED lights out there.

I have changed the whole house and office here to new fittings with LED. Saving a fortune in electricity bills each month. Changed the deck lights last year, this year they were gone. I brought them back to the seller who replaced them (wont happen in Ireland), they also advised that a new LED version was available. No issues so far, they have also told me that older versions were not as reliable... Again if they fail they will be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We’ve fitted led bulbs in a number of halogen fittings and found it works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

i bought some ROBUS down lighters for outside they take a standard GU led bulb like i use indoors, Housing still looks perfect a stainless steel look and bulbs last just as long as they do indoors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

Guys, have any of you come across reliable sensor led floodlights? I have 6 around the house, 2 of them dont work regarding the sensors and another 1 has blown completely. The rest of them are set off by gusts of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Around 40 quid each. Forget the brand. Bought in b&q the equivalent of a 500w halogen.

The b&q led lights are beyond rubbish. Like they are direly crap.

I bought two same brand different models. One died entirely. The other had two lamps one of which died.

Both attached to infra red and they were alway on off and not working properly. Rubbish.

I replaced with a new one off Amazon and it's perfect works flawlessly.

My advice go to Amazon. And don't buy halogen. It's just the crap b&q sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

NSAman wrote: »
    There are cheap and nasty LED lights out there.

I have changed the whole house and office here to new fittings with LED. Saving a fortune in electricity bills each month. Changed the deck lights last year, this year they were gone. I brought them back to the seller who replaced them (wont happen in Ireland), they also advised that a new LED version was available. No issues so far, they have also told me that older versions were not as reliable... Again if they fail they will be replaced.

It does happen in Ireland, just most people aren't aware of their rights and think that the guarantee/warranty is what you get when buying something, it's not by a long shot. We've upto 6 years consumer protection on defective items.

Guys, have any of you come across reliable sensor led floodlights? I have 6 around the house, 2 of them dont work regarding the sensors and another 1 has blown completely. The rest of them are set off by gusts of wind.

Buy the fitting separate as in with no sensor fitted as they're pure sh1te like uht milk.....

Get a steinel or similar stand alone sensor and you will have a set up that will last many many years.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Interestingly in the last few weeks i met on the road a 171 BMW with a LED headlight out and a 181 Skoda Kodiaq with a LED headlight out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Buy the fitting separate as in with no sensor fitted as they're pure sh1te like uht milk.....

Get a steinel or similar stand alone sensor and you will have a set up that will last many many years.....

Steiner or Buschwager are untouchable , nothingelse comes near them.Well worth paying the extra few bob for them.

Steiner or Buschwager are untouchable , nothingelse comes near them.Well worth paying the extra few bob for them.

Very true, have never had an issue with any of these I fitted, on the other hand reluctantly fitted the other junk and nothing but problems.....

I make this known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Usurper.

I fitted 2 cheap ones in my own place no issues for 2 years.

You do have to be more careful with installation of cheaper lights from Amazon etc.

For professional installation you'd want to be using Robus ,Steinel etc.

Bought most if not all off eBay, 10w up to 50w and some I've fitted on the farm over 10 years, with little use and up they go every time.

Others on sensors fitted separate exactly the same.... Wouldn't fit any other way for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Usurper.

Bought most if not all off eBay, 10w up to 50w and some I've fitted on the farm over 10 years, with little use and up they go every time.

Others on sensors fitted separate exactly the same.... Wouldn't fit any other way for myself.
    What do you mean

Usurper. wrote: »
    What do you mean

I wouldn't buy the cheapest crap myself...

Making a point of the separate our sensor is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What brand? Poor quality cheap lights will fail. Decent expensive LED will last and pay for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Usurper. wrote: »
    I fitted 2 cheap ones in my own place no issues for 2 years.

You do have to be more careful with installation of cheaper lights from Amazon etc.

For professional installation you'd want to be using Robus ,Steinel etc.

Robus make good glands.. everything else is dog shiote

My last post said our that was meant to be pir

Advertisement