Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring a single phase motor to reverse drive direction

Options
  • 17-09-2019 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭

Hi there, long time boardsie but first time post here. Have been asked to rewire a pottery wheel for my girlfriend's sister so that it will rotate anti clockwise instead of clockwise. I am an engineer by trade, a mechanical one, but my electrical ability is limited to rewiring plugs and simple automotive wiring. Always a little uncomfortable with mains power.

Her pottery wheel is rotated by a single phase 240v motor. There is an MEM DOL starter switch that's used to turn the motor on and off. This can be wired for both three phase and single phase and is wired up for single phase. I understand the concept of how to reverse a motor, by reversing the polarity of the magnetic field in which the starter coil lies in. There are rotation reversal instructions on the inside of the case of the starter switch but they appear to apply to three phase motors only.

I have attached an image of the wiring diagram for the switch. Is there any way for me to do a DIY rewire to get this motor to reverse its rotation or should I call in professional help?

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭almostover

almostover wrote: »
    Hi there, long time boardsie but first time post here. Have been asked to rewire a pottery wheel for my girlfriend's sister so that it will rotate anti clockwise instead of clockwise. I am an engineer by trade, a mechanical one, but my electrical ability is limited to rewiring plugs and simple automotive wiring. Always a little uncomfortable with mains power.

Her pottery wheel is rotated by a single phase 240v motor. There is an MEM DOL starter switch that's used to turn the motor on and off. This can be wired for both three phase and single phase and is wired up for single phase. I understand the concept of how to reverse a motor, by reversing the polarity of the magnetic field in which the starter coil lies in. There are rotation reversal instructions on the inside of the case of the starter switch but they appear to apply to three phase motors only.

I have attached an image of the wiring diagram for the switch. Is there any way for me to do a DIY rewire to get this motor to reverse its rotation or should I call in professional help?

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks in advance

Forgot to attach the image!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

That's a diagram of a "starter" (just starts and stops the motor)

Do you have a pic of the motor data plate?

A pic of the terminals in the motor might also be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭almostover

That's a diagram of a "starter" (just starts and stops the motor)

Do you have a pic of the motor data plate?

A pic of the terminals in the motor might also be useful.

I'll get a pic of the motor data plate soon but this is a pic of the motor terminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If it is an induction motor (which it probably is), with start winding and capacitor, you need to reverse the starter winding connections.

A universal motor with brushes, you reverse the connections to the brushes.

Advertisement