Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build What is really of use?

Options
  • 16-09-2019 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

I have submitted plans for a new house with the CC. Its a modern 2 story house.

In terms of automation/ wiring/ hubs etc what have people found to be really useful and what has proved to be not worth it. For instance do I really need voice commands for lighting? Is it really a must? I like the idea of being able to see the rooms on video when I am out or being able to speak to some who rings the bell. Do I really need to wire up everything or will wireless do?

i know people have different expectation and ideas but I would just like an insight from people who have are more advance in their usage as to what they have found is really useful and what is not needed.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The most important thing for a new build is to put in place the physical infrastructure that you will use long term.

Things like voice assistants, etc. are cool, but they can easily be added to any home at any time with little effort or cost.

On the other hand, if you decide later that you want cat6 cable, well ripping your walls open to put ethernet in once built, will cost WAY more then if you do it during the initial build. things that go into the wall are much cheaper to do at build time then later.

So some recommendations:

- LOTS of cat6 cables from a central point to all rooms. Cat6 is great and very versatile. Even if you use wifi, good quality wifi usually works by using multiple wifi points throughout a building backhauled by ethernet to a central point. Cat6 can also be used for carrying more then just ethernet, it can also be used for carrying HDMI signals, audio, power for CCTV cams, etc.

- Cables for a wired alarm system is a decent idea.

- Have a central room or location to where everything is wired, all ethernet should run to there, alarm cables and don't forget to run sat, aerial, phone and fiber/cable broadband cables from outside to this central location.

- Light switches, make sure to use deep back boxes and have a neutral at the light switch. Allows for smart switches later if you want.

- Think where you might want to put cameras, ethernet cables to those locations is a good idea too.

- Lots of wall sockets is a good idea IMO. also think about external power sockets, can come in very handy.

- Electric Vehicles are going to become the norm in the next few years. At least get the cabling put in place for a future charging point in the drive way. Will make life easier in a few years.

As you see, the advice tends to be to focus on general infrastructure and not about a particular technology. Different tech can be added later as money allow or things change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

bk wrote: »
    The most important thing for a new build is to put in place the physical infrastructure that you will use long term.

Things like voice assistants, etc. are cool, but they can easily be added to any home at any time with little effort or cost.

On the other hand, if you decide later that you want cat6 cable, well ripping your walls open to put ethernet in once built, will cost WAY more then if you do it during the initial build. things that go into the wall are much cheaper to do at build time then later.

So some recommendations:

- LOTS of cat6 cables from a central point to all rooms. Cat6 is great and very versatile. Even if you use wifi, good quality wifi usually works by using multiple wifi points throughout a building backhauled by ethernet to a central point. Cat6 can also be used for carrying more then just ethernet, it can also be used for carrying HDMI signals, audio, power for CCTV cams, etc.

- Cables for a wired alarm system is a decent idea.

- Have a central room or location to where everything is wired, all ethernet should run to there, alarm cables and don't forget to run sat, aerial, phone and fiber/cable broadband cables from outside to this central location.

- Light switches, make sure to use deep back boxes and have a neutral at the light switch. Allows for smart switches later if you want.

- Think where you might want to put cameras, ethernet cables to those locations is a good idea too.

- Lots of wall sockets is a good idea IMO. also think about external power sockets, can come in very handy.

- Electric Vehicles are going to become the norm in the next few years. At least get the cabling put in place for a future charging point in the drive way. Will make life easier in a few years.

As you see, the advice tends to be to focus on general infrastructure and not about a particular technology. Different tech can be added later as money allow or things change.

Thanks very much.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Most people put a double socket on each side of the proposed bed location.
    I put 2 double sockets each side!

This allows for chargers for phone, watch, toot brush, lamp etc all to be plugged in without using extension cables or multi socket bricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Not all cat6 cables are equal, put in the best quality or even cat6a or cat7

Make sure silly things like door bell wire or power and cox / data for a camera aren't over looked and definitely put in the cable so that you can have one or two charge points for cars. Also telephone or fiber. Can you have a conduit to the outside of the house and some inside.

Also 7.2 sound and if you can good hdmi, you can send it over cat6 via hdbaset but it's a poor second and the equipment is much more expensive. Also have a second hdmi from the TV to any audio amp so that you can send sound if you are streaming a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

kceire wrote: »
    Most people put a double socket on each side of the proposed bed location.
    I put 2 double sockets each side!

This allows for chargers for phone, watch, toot brush, lamp etc all to be plugged in without using extension cables or multi socket bricks.

This. 2 double sockets each side of every bed and TV point. 2 cat six to every room, either for Lan or hdmi over cat 6. All of my lights are led, almost all on dimmers, very few are e27 or bayonet, mostly g9 or other miniature socket so smart lighting is not easily done for me - I use sonoff plug for automated uplight in hall for ease of entry\exit in dark nights.

Get a power socket and cat6 under the stairs and in hot press if you're having understairs storage, can use it to mount a WiFi ap if like me you're going concrete first floor. Can also charge a handheld vacuum in there too, keeps it out of the way.

E.g. I have 12 double sockets in the kitchen\dining room alone, not including ones for eg dishwasher, fridge. Have a box full of extension cords which were all in use in the rental before we built this, not one used in the 15 months since we moved in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Agreed cat6/7 is the way to go especially for POE external CCTV and gaming. If money is tight mesh wifi offers very good coverage and speeds plus extra satellites can be added. I have a combination of a Netgear Orbi and some cat6 for cctv and gaming.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The plumbing zones would be my number one thing.

Data cables to various locations,

You don't have to terminate them all , just have them there, including light switches.

Neutral cables to the light switches too.

All control cables back to the one place , including TV and satellite cables, you can split and redivert them afterwards, very handy when switching ISP provider

Advertisement