Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insulation in cold bedroom

• 17-09-2019 6:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Quick question for the experts. I've a back bedroom that is very cold in the winter. There is obviously insufficient insulation installed but I do not know to what spec. From what I can see its just standard insulation rolls and a vapor barrier.

I would like to add some extra insulation by removing the existing plasterboards (somewhat difficult as there is a radiator on that wall and the pipes come from within he wall and not from the floor) and add some thermal insulation boards and then do a bit of taping and joining for the finish.

In order to achieve this do I need to remove the vapour barrier or can I install the thermal boards directly over that?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I'd remove everything back to the bare wall and install the warm board. Doesn't take long to remove. You don't know how well the studs are fixed in the old wall. Going over what's there will make your room smaller. A chance of draughts if you go over existing. Go back to the bare wall with the warm board and put expanding foam in the joints that aren't tight to seal it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Have you checked the attic insulation above veggie you start pulling walls?

Also check for draughty windows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

timbers should be 50mm, put 50mm rigid insulation between them. Put some of the expanding foam for sticking behind them. Then put a 50mm insulated slab over the top screwed in to the timbers, to give 100mm in total.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Is this timber frame or block build?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,561 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

BryanF wrote: »
    Sounds like TF

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭teflon

timbers should be 50mm, put 50mm rigid insulation between them. Put some of the expanding foam for sticking behind them. Then put a 50mm insulated slab over the top screwed in to the timbers, to give 100mm in total.

Thanks, its quite a small room so I don't want to make it much smaller.

BryanF wrote: »

I'm not certain TBH but I think its solid construction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,561 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

teflon wrote: »
    I'm not certain TBH but I think its solid construction.

where did this come from in your first post:
    From what I can see its just standard insulation rolls and a vapor barrier.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I put down new flooring a few months back and had the shirting boards off so I could see under the plasterboard. Id be fairly certain its solid construction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Probably a 2x1 baton onto block work, uses be done a lot on old houses one time

• Advertisement

Probably a 2x1 baton onto block work, uses be done a lot on old houses one time

The house was built in 2004 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What type windows do you have ? Is there moisture on them in the mornings?

ted1 wrote: »
    What type windows do you have ? Is there moisture on them in the mornings?

In my room there would be but that's because I have a curtain that covers the Rad in the room.. I know... the Mrs likes the curtain. What can you do..:confused:

Its the other spare room I'm looking to re-do anyway.

Advertisement