Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest 3rd Gen & Nest E combination

Options
  • 21-08-2019 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

It that time of year when the energy contract is up for renewal and im looking at the offers out there.

I can see Electric Ireland are doing a deal where you get a Nest for €130 as well as a free Google Home Mini.

I know the Next 3rd Gen can control 1 zone and water but my house has an additional zone.

The option I would have then would be to either leave this zone on the existing clock on the wall and just have the 1st zone and water controlled by the nest or install a 2nd Nest in place of the 2nd thermostat. This is a little pricier.

When looking into it I can see that Nest now have another thermostat available (Nest E) Its a little more basic than the 3rd gen but overall its very functional. Plus the heatlink looks well on the wall instead of the thermostat.

Im just wondering would it be possible to add this Nest E afterwards once I already had the Nest 3rd gen set up or will both have to be the same type of thermostats?

Also, is it worth going for a deal with the providers or should I just vuy seperate or consider a different smart thermostat. At least they arent 2 year deals now.

Cheers for any advise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

Came on here to ask a similar question. What did you end up doing in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭daithilfc

tnegun wrote: »
    Came on here to ask a similar question. What did you end up doing in the end?

I ended up reaching out to Nest Support through Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/googlenest/

They confirmed that this is possible to do.

"You can use the 3rd Gen to control one zone and hot water and Google Nest Thermostat E to control one heating zone."

I havent gone through with it yet so Im not sure if there are any complications but they didnt seem to think there would be any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

I have a similar setup. I started with a Nest Gen 1 controlling just one zone, the second zone was on a standard thermostat. Then last year I get a Nest Gen 3 to replace the old one. This controls the downstairs zone and the hot water. The old Nest was moved upstairs to control the second zone. It all works very well. The two zones are independent in terms of settings and schedule.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

Thanks guys so you end up with 2 heatlinks one for 1 heating zone and hotwater, the other for the second heating zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭daithilfc

tnegun wrote: »
    Thanks guys so you end up with 2 heatlinks one for 1 heating zone and hotwater, the other for the second heating zone?

Exactly, Now the Nest E does not have the ability to control the hot water so it will have to be a Gen 3 for 1 zone and the HW and then either another Gen 3 or a Nest E for the other zone.

• Advertisement

I just picked up a second hand nest gen 3.
    I set it up for a bench test before I installed it but I'm not seeing the hot water icon in the app.
    I even looped a feed to pin 5 in the heat link but still no sign of hot water control,
    Any ideas? A few similar problems form Google but no answers.

Starting to suspect that I have a gen 2

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I just picked up a second hand nest gen 3.
    I set it up for a bench test before I installed it but I'm not seeing the hot water icon in the app.
    I even looped a feed to pin 5 in the heat link but still no sign of hot water control,
    Any ideas? A few similar problems form Google but no answers.

Starting to suspect that I have a gen 2

It needs to be configured in the pro setup section

ted1 wrote: »
    It needs to be configured in the pro setup section

How do I gain access to this?

Advertisement