Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google/Nest Secure In Ireland

Options
  • 06-04-2019 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭

My Yale "Smart" Hub system is dying - when the batteries on the various PIR's die and I change them I cannot add the devices back. I want rid of it (its been very fickle since day one) and watched the Nest Secure promo video on the nest website and it looks the business.
    I have a Next Smoke alarm and Nest heating controller as well as a google hub and Chromecast so it would fit nicely into that ecosystem but it doesn't seem to be available here.

Dos anyone know if its coming soon or available through a third party reseller?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭jones

I'm waiting on this too. i'm deeply invested in Nest/Google and would make sense for me to stick with them

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Looking at this article not any time soon may not be 2019

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/new-product/digital-home/nest-secure-3664267/
    ]We asked Nest if it had any updates on a UK launch date and were told that it would be a long while yet and may not launch at all this year.

I bought on ebay sealed and paid the included customs so it didnt get caught here 400 usd all in, not bad now tracking some sensors.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Errr... A US one might work, but you really shouldn't. They use radio frequencies which are illegal to use here in Europe.

Thanks, care to elaborate which part is illegal?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Rafloution wrote: »
    Thanks, care to elaborate which part is illegal?

Actually take that back, I'm wrong! :D

I had thought that Nest used Z-wave for the devices, which uses a frequency of 915MHz in the US. 915MHz would be illegal to use in Europe, instead they use 868MHz here for Z-Wave.

But good news, checking the spec, it seems Nest Secure uses:
    802.15.4 @ 2.4GHz

2.4GHz is the same frequency as wifi, so is probably ok to use here (though may not be actually certified and licensed as such yet, so use at your own risk).

I most have mixed it up with the Go Abode and Smartthings ADT security system which both use 915MHz devices.

This is really interesting and has now perked my own interest in this system. Interesting choice to use 2.4GHz by Google. That should mean it is quick and easy to launch it worldwide, so I wonder what is taking so long to get here.

One thing to note about 2.4GHz, is that if you have a big house, it doesn't reach as far as the lower frequencies like 868MHz.

I'd also be wary of the lack of external bell box, that is so typical here. I'd at least fit a fake bell box, to help deter possible thieves.

Rafloution, how are you finding this system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

As an update to this, I wrote to Nest support and got a polite reply back saying that they are not aware of any release date in Europe yet. However that there are people who have shipped them from the US and are using without issue here. If you do need support it would have to be US based though as EU Nest doesn't officially support it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Waiting for delivery. My worry was the EU version works have a new feature or something, I've decided that if it's something really good they are not gonna upgrade and not make it backwards compatible with US market so hopefully it works out. Worst case I need to buy a base station in EU if something nice does drop.

Nest hub max also due for release at some point too probably US only again. 10 inch tablet with camera, probably similar to echo show but would be nice to have tighter integration with nest even as a wall mounted panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Looking at this article not any time soon may not be 2019

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/new-product/digital-home/nest-secure-3664267/

I bought on ebay sealed and paid the included customs so it didnt get caught here 400 usd all in, not bad now tracking some sensors.

Is the power cable hard wired & how did you get around that if so?

It's a usb plug so an adapter should be fine

Waiting for delivery. My worry was the EU version works have a new feature or something, I've decided that if it's something really good they are not gonna upgrade and not make it backwards compatible with US market so hopefully it works out. Worst case I need to buy a base station in EU if something nice does drop.

My concern would be that it might not work here at all. Some folks here imported the Nest Temperature Sensor from the US, assuming it would work with Nest Thermostats here, but turns out they won't work here at all and after contacting Google support, they said they had no plans to make it work here.

Given that these are cloud powered devices, it is pretty easy to lock them down per region.

Hopefully won't be the case for your Nest Secure, but just a warning that Google/Nest do have a history of this. Personally I'd wait for an official release.

Plus I feel Nest Secure is lacking in some key ways for the UK/Ireland market. It looks to be an interesting product, but far from perfect (but then no security system is).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Our daft laws will probably prohibit it from being sold here as only a registered PSA can Instalk them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭jones

Think i'll wait for the EU release of this. Can imagine the logistical nightmare of this if they did region lock it be basically worthless

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

ted1 wrote: »
    Our daft laws will probably prohibit it from being sold here as only a registered PSA can Instalk them.

These are designed to be DIY installed, and DIY installs are outside the scope of the PSA legislation.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You can install an alarm in your own home alright.

The PSA licence was a good thing imo, cleaned things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭ondafly

Waiting for delivery.

any updates ? really interested in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

ordered mine from Amazon.com I am not expecting the 24/7 monitoring to work or the GSM back up connection...

I will follow up when I get it and install it

I should have come back earlier on this, apologies.

Installed 4 months and best choice I made to be honest. Was going to go with traditional wired with 7 EUR app a month but then thought for 500 I can import it and see how it goes. If it lasts 2 to 3 years I'll be happy.

Anyway it's been great so far 3 fobs 6 or 7 sensors and working well. I like the customisation of the length of time and different option whether home or not. For example I can turn off motion on some depending on if we're home. How long to wait before the alarm goes off etc. Also nice.

I was coming from an astec panel which was designed 20 years ago so a big upgrade.

One issue I did have was a I lost a fob assigned to an non Gmail when the Google migration option kicked in due to rebranding and other API ****. The fob was showing as assigned but it's not on my account and they couldn't retreive it.

After a small amount of hassle support said as we don't sell in ireland we'll give you 50 towards nest aware next renewal so I can't complain.

Main frsutrstion is no alerts through Google mini as yet. Would be nice to place where you might not hear sound. But the app is solid enough to check if needed at night.

I'm looking forward to seeing ring version which according to twitter is still scheduled for UK/IE this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

That's interesting. I'm still looking at upgrading my alarm.

I saw the Nest one bundled with an IQ outdoor cam for $370 las time in BestBuy but didn't pick it up because I was unsure if it would work. This interests me more now

I'd just recommend you guys get a fake bell box to put on the outside wall. In Ireland most alarms come with them and are thus a deterrent, a house without one is more likely to attract unwanted attention.

bk wrote: »
    I'd just recommend you guys get a fake bell box to put on the outside wall. In Ireland most alarms come with them and are thus a deterrent, a house without one is more likely to attract unwanted attention.

Agreed on this, will be doing so over next few months or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

I should have come back earlier on this, apologies.

Installed 4 months and best choice I made to be honest. Was going to go with traditional wired with 7 EUR app a month but then thought for 500 I can import it and see how it goes. If it lasts 2 to 3 years I'll be happy.

Anyway it's been great so far 3 fobs 6 or 7 sensors and working well. I like the customisation of the length of time and different option whether home or not. For example I can turn off motion on some depending on if we're home. How long to wait before the alarm goes off etc. Also nice.

I was coming from an astec panel which was designed 20 years ago so a big upgrade.

One issue I did have was a I lost a fob assigned to an non Gmail when the Google migration option kicked in due to rebranding and other API ****. The fob was showing as assigned but it's not on my account and they couldn't retreive it.

After a small amount of hassle support said as we don't sell in ireland we'll give you 50 towards nest aware next renewal so I can't complain.

Main frsutrstion is no alerts through Google mini as yet. Would be nice to place where you might not hear sound. But the app is solid enough to check if needed at night.

I'm looking forward to seeing ring version which according to twitter is still scheduled for UK/IE this year.

Thanks for the update. 1 question, I presume the GSM backup or monitoring doesn't work?

Really glad to hear its working well for you. I have Nest Hello and Nest Protect so expanding to Secure too is very appealing.

GSM or monitoring does not work no but the positive is it doesnt impact anything else. Alarm works as expected without those.

I have hello and a couple of cameras the nice thing is to have the app for everything but downside is obviously if Nest goest down they all do. Hopefully migration to Google will minimize chances of that as I know they had a few issues over past 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

GSM or monitoring does not work no but the positive is it doesnt impact anything else. Alarm works as expected without those.

I have hello and a couple of cameras the nice thing is to have the app for everything but downside is obviously if Nest goest down they all do. Hopefully migration to Google will minimize chances of that as I know they had a few issues over past 12 months.

Think I'll hang on until Black Friday but it's definitely on my list. Thanks for providing the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭ondafly

anyone manage to order one of these from the US google store ? I used anpost USA address service; and have just had my order cancelled by Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

no, try Amazon.com

Advertisement