Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoem Heating Advice

Options
  • 06-09-2019 12:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭

After trying lots of different measures to keep my sun room warm in bitter Donegal we've finally decided to invest in a Dyson heater.

I'm just wondering if anyone has used it for air purification purposes and was it any use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

One thing to bear in mind when it comes to electric heating - every appliance is 100% efficient so by all means buy on the look of the device but don't listen to any BS about efficiency. With an electric heater, every joule of energy you pay for is converted to heat, that's all there is to it. The delivery of that heat will vary between the likes of a fan heater and an oil-filled radiator but you get all of the heat that you pay for.

What's in the Donegal air that you want a Dyson device to remove?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Some sort of infrared or radiant heater might suit better.

It will take the chill off you when you are in the room and heat up the surfaces.

Trying to heat the air in the room with a blow heater won’t work well unless you stand right in front of it.

The ultimate problem is the insulation of the room, not the heater.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

coylemj wrote: »
    One thing to bear in mind when it comes to electric heating - every appliance is 100% efficient so by all means buy on the look of the device but don't listen to any BS about efficiency. With an electric heater, every joule of energy you pay for is converted to heat, that's all there is to it. The delivery of that heat will vary between the likes of a fan heater and an oil-filled radiator but you get all of the heat that you pay for.

What's in the Donegal air that you want a Dyson device to remove?

We've an issue with damp in the house. I've been changing the ventilation to address this to some success. Just we need a heater for the sun room so I thought it might be good to kill two birds with one stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

We've an issue with damp in the house. I've been changing the ventilation to address this to some success. Just we need a heater for the sun room so I thought it might be good to kill two birds with one stone.

Have you considered a dehumidifier? A heater will warm up the moisture in the air so the place won't feel damp but as soon as the room gets cold, the moisture will condense on the walls and you're back to where you started.

Were you using standalone gas heaters in the house? They pump a vast amount of H2O into the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Have you considered a dehumidifier? A heater will warm up the moisture in the air so the place won't feel damp but as soon as the room gets cold, the moisture will condense on the walls and you're back to where you started.

Were you using standalone gas heaters in the house? They pump a vast amount of H2O into the air.

That is good advice. A heater won’t do you that much good in and of itself. The filter on the heater is unlikely to make any difference whatsoever. (Though you need to take care that the filter itself doesn’t become damp as this could cause all sorts of problems).

What other measures have you taken to deal with the damp?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

We actually went out and got the Dyson. I already had a dehumidifier but, after one day, it is clear that we weren't using it properly.

The air humidity has now dropped from 74% to 59% this morning so all is good.

Advertisement