Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hall Door Suppliers in Dublin

Options
  • 26-01-2012 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend someone to make and fit a hall door in solid wood (African Mahogany?) Door is approx 33"x77". The problem is we have a fanlight over the door which needs to be made as well. When we bought the house it had a hideous pvc door on it which needs to be replaced. We would like someone who knows what they're doing preferably from a smaller long established company.

If you know of anyone who we could contact could you please p.m. me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Anyone :confused: Somebody must have had a new hall door fitted in the past year!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Can anyone recommend someone to make and fit a hall door in solid wood (African Mahogany?) Door is approx 33"x77". The problem is we have a fanlight over the door which needs to be made as well. When we bought the house it had a hideous pvc door on it which needs to be replaced. We would like someone who knows what they're doing preferably from a smaller long established company.

If you know of anyone who we could contact could you please p.m. me?

Theres a specialst wood worker and door/door frame maker up in Coolock Industrial Estate,just opposite Robbinson Stone and Marble.

He will make it for you.:)

PS_Im the opposite of you,I went from a tatty old warped solid external wood door to a new 8 bolt/dead lock Composite wood grain effect Georgian front door (U-Value 0.23)

paddy147 wrote: »
    Theres a specialst wood worker and door/door frame maker up in Coolock Industrial Estate,just opposite Robbinson Stone and Marble.

He will make it for you.:)

PS_Im the opposite of you,I went from a tatty old warped solid external wood door to a new 8 bolt/dead lock Composite wood grain effect Georgian front door (U-Value 0.23)

Looked at composite doors but didn't like the fact that you can't remove/change the handle on the front of the door. It's an old Victorian house and we want to keep the same style of door. Also, composites don't look good on the inside (at least the ones I've seen!).

Do you happen to know the name of the door maker?

Looked at composite doors but didn't like the fact that you can't remove/change the handle on the front of the door. It's an old Victorian house and we want to keep the same style of door. Also, composites don't look good on the inside (at least the ones I've seen!).

Do you happen to know the name of the door maker?

Well the Composite Georgian 6 panel door that I got,looks very well from both inside and outside.I then had long narrow front and side windows made to my measurements by a double glazing/window fabrication company to suit the door and had hand laid stained glass made for the door too.
    I got custom made stained glass fitted to the window frames.
    The hand laid stained design sits in between 2 panes of toughened glass,so they are tripple glazed.Made and installed by a stained glass friend of mine up in County Louth

I dont actually know the name of the woodwork shop/door maker in Coolock,but they are directly opposite Robbinson Stone and Marble in Newtown Industrial Estate,Coolock.

Its around the corner from Chadwickes Builders Providers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I spent most of yesterday adjusting doors in a very fine Victorian house.
    It's a tough one, especially if the door is exposed to the fluctuations of our fickle climate.
    On the one hand, I agree with the OP that a pvc door would be an outrage on a Victorian frontage.
    On the other, is the need to have a front door which doesn't warp, move or distort in any way.

For maximum stability, I would ask the maker to choose Iroko and I would specify straight grained and quarter sawn (or for the growth rings to be at 90º to the surface of the board.
    Any future problems can be mitigated by the careful choice of each board before making.
    These pictures (though of different timbers) should give an idea of what I am talking about
    Stable
    51B64FB0104D4124AB0EF71EE878E75D-0000345227-0002726818-00225L-25FBF4B1D6F748EBB4117CD358FD2D1E.jpg

Unstable
    CE8F6B60F1094191AF6286AF20A4661F-0000345227-0002726819-00266L-E721FD0F6C70433F9AC5C75BAE8219BD.jpg

• Advertisement

slowburner wrote: »
    I spent most of yesterday adjusting doors in a very fine Victorian house.
    It's a tough one, especially if the door is exposed to the fluctuations of our fickle climate.
    On the one hand, I agree with the OP that a pvc door would be an outrage on a Victorian frontage.
    On the other, is the need to have a front door which doesn't warp, move or distort in any way.

For maximum stability, I would ask the maker to choose Iroko and I would specify straight grained and quarter sawn (or for the growth rings to be at 90º to the surface of the board.
    Any future problems can be mitigated by the careful choice of each board before making.
    These pictures (though of different timbers) should give an idea of what I am talking about
    Stable
    51B64FB0104D4124AB0EF71EE878E75D-0000345227-0002726818-00225L-25FBF4B1D6F748EBB4117CD358FD2D1E.jpg

Unstable
    CE8F6B60F1094191AF6286AF20A4661F-0000345227-0002726819-00266L-E721FD0F6C70433F9AC5C75BAE8219BD.jpg

Thanks.

We got a quote for an African Mahogany door. The door maker said this would be the best choice for us? He's been in the business a long time so we hope he's giving us the right advice. Unfortunately the fan light has to be made and this is pushing the price up. We were quoted €1650 for the job which I though was very expensive. When I contacted another company that was recommended I was quoted €2,200 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Have you tried these?
    http://www.doorwise.ie/workshop
    They've been in Crumlin since the mid 1980's.

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    Have you tried these?
    http://www.doorwise.ie/workshop
    They've been in Crumlin since the mid 1980's.

;) Yes, I have!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Thanks.

We got a quote for an African Mahogany door. The door maker said this would be the best choice for us? He's been in the business a long time so we hope he's giving us the right advice. Unfortunately the fan light has to be made and this is pushing the price up. We were quoted €1650 for the job which I though was very expensive. When I contacted another company that was recommended I was quoted €2,200 :eek:

I'm not 100% sure, but what your joiner is calling 'African mahogany', is probably Iroko.
    €1650 including the fanlight seems a very good price to me.

I spoke to this company today in Coolock,when my girlfriend was up there sourcing larchwood and cedarwood off them,for some exterior horticultural work.

Higginbothams and DH Timber Suppliers.They are run buy the same man and are in the same factory,in Newtwon Industrial Estate,Coolock.

They import all types of soft and hard wood.They also cut and shape wood to any size and shape that you require

They also make window frames,external and internal doors,kitchens and cabinets to any size,shape and style.They also supply various landscaping companies with various hardwoods.

I was very impressed with the amount of hardwoods they had in stock.

Pics show company names,numbers and websites.

Hope this is of some help to the OP.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I realise this is an incredibly old thread but Cuppacocoa if you are still active do you have the name of the person who quoted you.

Advertisement