Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bilberry

Options
  • 19-09-2019 12:48pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a plant of bilberry or two (Vaccinium myrtillus)? I had a small, straggly one in a pot years ago, but it was taken by some birds for their nest (a newly sprouted horse chestnut went the same way), and I can't find any place that sells them. I'd try to grow one from seed, but I don't have any berries either. :/

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Wait (probably early next spring) and I'm sure Lidl will have them again, they seem to be on their list of regulars.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I've never seen bilberries, only blueberries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

New Home wrote: »
    I've never seen bilberries, only blueberries.

You might be right but I think they have also had bilberries maybe it was only the once?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'll definitely keep an eye out, so, thanks (even if it's in the fridge!)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've planted a couple of varieties in what I thought was rich, acidic soil but they've done absolutely nothing in two seasons since planting.

Bought them in a Glanbia garden centre.

• Advertisement

Thanks Lumen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The Lidl ones are blueberries - I bought one then discovered I needed two!

Bumping this thread - hope it's ok, Looksee/Mods.

My hunt for a bilberry plant (vaccinium myrtillus) is back on. I've just discovered that they're also called "hurt" (?!?), and "fraochán" in Irish. Apparently these are quite easily found in the wild around Co. Cork. Has anyone seen them anywhere else in the country?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't know about Cork but there are fraochán (fraughan is the anglicised spelling) bushes everywhere here in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains. I wouldn't know how easy they are to grow in a domestic garden though.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

It's very common on the hills around Killarney too, and obviously likes acidic soils so they might also be found in any hills near you. I could dig out a wee bit (not from the national park, just from a little wood nearby) and send it by post if you like. I don't think removing a small bit would do much harm and it's being crowded out by ferns and rhododendron anyway so I'd be liberating it!

• Advertisement

Thank you for the very kind offer, @BobCobb, I'll see if I can find some around here first (North West), but I'll be in touch if I'm stuck. I'll have to go for a nice long walk and keep my eyes peeled.

I'm still smarting from the loss of the one that was stolen by the birds...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

No worries, good luck with the search, they like acidic soils but don't seem to like getting their feet too wet so might be found on ditches or mounds in boggier areas

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Ditches around the local bog or mountain area are your best bet I would think. Loads around my area that are wild but the fruits are very small most of the time. I was talking to one of the lads from English's Fruit Nursery at the ploughing a few years back and he said they were hoping to stock them but I don't see them on the website today. They might be worth giving them a buzz and see if they ever did stock them.

We always knew them as blackhurts at home but my OH (grew up 10 miles away) never heard of this and called them fraocháns.

Advertisement