Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volunteering for the public sector

• 23-11-2020 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Curious if anyone has ever applied to do this?
    Gov departments etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

slipperyox wrote: »
    Curious if anyone has ever applied to do this?
    Gov departments etc..

Why not apply for a Clerical Officer or Temporary Clerical Officer position? Why does it need to be voluntary? I've worked in two large offices/departments and have never seen volunteers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭slipperyox

I have 2 days a week, to offer. (and work the other 3 days)
    And feel I could get valuable experience without major commitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I have 2 days a week, to offer. (and work the other 3 days)
    And feel I could get valuable experience without major commitment.

You'd be better off volunteering with your local tidy towns group or oap organisation or such like. I work in the PS and have seen some interns and young grads at work. They normally end up doing some mundane task such as moving boxes of files from A to B or answering phone calls. With Covid restrictions now most govt offices are actually requesting staff to work from home or staggered shifts so the idea of even being accepted is probably low under the current circumstances.

Much appreciate.
    but without giving too much detail, the work i'm offering is mostly solo.
    mapping/ surveys etc.

So no covid worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Much appreciate.
    mapping/ surveys etc.

So no covid worries.

Id suggest you should get into Public Jobs ie. Full time permanent surveying/mapping/GIS jobs should be available there. Check it out with regards to LAs, OPW, NRA offices etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Augme

There is pretty much no.chance. I've seen government departments take on TY students and college people in relation to internships for their course but that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Staff would be very suspicious of anyone who isnt looking for more money plus your likely to be quicker and faster than most PS staff and theyll make your live hell for working at anything approaching a normal pace in the real world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Much appreciate.
    mapping/ surveys etc.

So no covid worries.

Sounds like work that should be done by employees. No government agency will let an unsupervised volunteer do suff that could affect the quality of its data, or its reputation.

Sounds like work that should be done by employees. No government agency will let an unsupervised volunteer do suff that could affect the quality of its data, or its reputation.

They do all the time.

You don't think a company that gets a council tender uses interns?

Advertisement