Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding Bank Fees & Charges

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Time wrote: »
    I qualify income wise. Thats a shame though, i'll probably be stuck with them or AIB anyway when the time comes, i need to be able to lodge cash so thats KBC out unfortunately.
    You can use an account with EBS or local CU just for the ability to lodge cash/cheques and then zap funds to your preferred account in KBC/N26 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

I'm going to close 1 of 2 CA's with B of I and open a CA with An Post.

All things equal I'll save €1 per month but then there's the 5% moneyback from all Lidl purchases over €25

I'm with An Post at the moment and I find it good. I shop a good bit in Lidl so once I spend €100 in the month there, my fees are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

jdon72 wrote: »
    I'm with An Post at the moment and I find it good. I shop a good bit in Lidl so once I spend €100 in the month there, my fees are free.

In fairness, thats pretty good....i could switch from aldi to lidl and easily cover that.

one question, can you get a cheque book from an post?

if not is it just BOI and AIB that do cheque books at this stage?

I know its old school, but its an account that my parents use for a farm and still pay alot by cheque.......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,373 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Under EU law, banks must offer a free bank account (even if its very skimpy on services and have rigid rules to avoid fees).
    Already posted on first page of thread. The link includes the six banks doing them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

I need to pay over 1500 to a shop in Canada - can't use my revolut as my passport ran out and it's the only id they will accept. What is the cheapest alternative way to pay without incurring huge fees? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mooz

Danick wrote: »
    I need to pay over 1500 to a shop in Canada - can't use my revolut as my passport ran out and it's the only id they will accept. What is the cheapest alternative way to pay without incurring huge fees? Thanks
    Try transfer mate, a friend used them to buy a car in the UK last year and found that their rates are good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Does anyone know who has the cheapest joint account rates? Currently with AIB and getting charged a fortune!

awhir wrote: »
    Does anyone know who has the cheapest joint account rates? Currently with AIB and getting charged a fortune!

A joint account is the same as any other current account as regards fees anyway, I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭GBX

mooz wrote: »
    Try transfer mate, a friend used them to buy a car in the UK last year and found that their rates are good

@Danick You may still need to verify your identity by license or passport with them. I had to when signing up for sterling transfer in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I have a joint account with KBC that's free. Just need to pay one person's salary in each month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

A joint account is the same as any other current account as regards fees anyway, I'd have thought.

Not all banks offer joint accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I'm going to close 1 of 2 CA's with B of I and open a CA with An Post.

All things equal I'll save €1 per month but then there's the 5% moneyback from all Lidl purchases over €25

I just got an email from An Post they are cancelling their moneyback program at the end of April. Last money back payment will be in May.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

I just got an email from An Post they are cancelling their moneyback program at the end of April. Last money back payment will be in May.

Well thats crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Moving2017

I was told by EBS that they’re not opening any accounts at the moment due to restrictions.

They could “set up a profile” but not open the account.

GBX wrote: »
    @Danick You may still need to verify your identity by license or passport with them. I had to when signing up for sterling transfer in October.

Will they accept a driving licence because Revolut won't - have you a link to their site as nothing shows in google for me - or do you mean bank transfer? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Why do the Gods mock me so?
    Have I displeased them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Would they accept Bank Transfer? If so, Transferwise.

Would they accept Bank Transfer? If so, Transferwise.

Thanks - do I need ID to use to transferwise - I signed up and they didn't ask for any.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Anyone signed up with KBC recently? I was going to go into one of the hubs to open a new account but rang them first to confirm all the documentation they need and what not.

They said I can do it over the phone, they took some details, sent me on a few pdf files with terms and fees etc...

Salesman said I'd receive a mail or text to move to next step of sending in Documents.

Haven't heard nothing back in ages.

What's the quickest way to get setup?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Anyone signed up with KBC recently? I was going to go into one of the hubs to open a new account but rang them first to confirm all the documentation they need and what not.

They said I can do it over the phone, they took some details, sent me on a few pdf files with terms and fees etc...

Salesman said I'd receive a mail or text to move to next step of sending in Documents.

I set up an account in 2019. I think it was all done through the app. I've never set foot in a KBC branch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Poochie05

If it's any help, I signed up online last Thursday night and got a call on Saturday morning from a salesman. He said he’d just sent that email with links to uploading documents, but I only got that in the last few hours. Haven’t uploaded anything yet so I don’t know how long it will take after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Girlfriend just got her card today, applied online about two weeks ago.

There was a similar delay when I setup last year in February. The setup process for me was a bit arseways. Didn't get my online log in details so had to call them and write down the code on a post it. Aside from my new bank account IBAN and the card I didn't get anything else. Girlfriend's joint account card didn't show up for ages too.

Worth it in the end though just for how easy Banking is with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I have the same problem with an expired passport

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Simonko

EBS offer joint accounts free of charge if you don't mind their antiquated online banking system / no banking app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

I switched to KBC a few weeks ago from AIB due to the fees AIB are bringing in.
    Fairly simple process signing up online. Upload some ID etc.

My wages are being paid in to KBC so it's fee-free with them for now.

My direct debits are due to come out at the beginning of March so I'll see how that goes.

They told me they would look after all my direct debits. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Transfermate have very good rates for fx transfers. It's an Irish company based in Kilkenny, very easy to deal with.

https://www.transfermate.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

dulpit wrote: »
    I'm with KBC. Fee free banking across the board, provided you lodge €2k per month. App is good, google pay & apple pay supported. Ballache if you need to deposit cash or cheques though.

Wish I could lodge €2000 a month
    Which would be the cheapest bank fees just to have to pay direct debits have a small amounts in it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

torrevieja wrote: »
    Wish I could lodge €2000 a month
    Which would be the cheapest bank fees just to have to pay direct debits have a small amounts in it

One thing to note - if you say got €500 in, you could just move it to Revolut and back to KBC 4 times. Not very elegant, but would avoid fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Boxfresh wrote: »
    I switched to KBC a few weeks ago from AIB due to the fees AIB are bringing in.
    Fairly simple process signing up online. Upload some ID etc.

My wages are being paid in to KBC so it's fee-free with them for now.

My direct debits are due to come out at the beginning of March so I'll see how that goes.

They told me they would look after all my direct debits. We'll see.

I switched to KBC a few years ago. They missed 1 direct debit - my TV licence. I didn't spot it for months, until the licence inspector wrote to me... :pac:

• Advertisement

Tried signing up to KBC but their app and website both crash out when trying to sign up. How is their app generally? Reliable?

Moving from Ulster Bank and their app was always great.

Advertisement