Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mic2727

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Ye but at least the GAA guys aren’t a bunch of savages locking themselves into a cage and fighting with no rules, to the death by any means necessary.

Sarcasm right? 🀞 Honestly hard to tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

mic2727 wrote: »
    Sarcasm right? 🀞 Honestly hard to tell!

Haha god yes. I know there’s a few rules ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Axwell wrote:
    Lads use the Bellator thread when you are talking about fights from tonight and stop posting on here...

How come? I assumed it would be acceptable as its a general mma thread not the ufc/McGregor one.

Genuine question by the way not trying to be smart.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

jcd5971 wrote: »
    How come? I assumed it would be acceptable as its a general mma thread not the ufc/McGregor one.

Genuine question by the way not trying to be smart.

When an event is on discuss it in the event thread, thats why its there. No one wants to come to the general news thread and stumble on discussion of the outcome of a fight thats barely over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Axwell wrote:
    When an event is on discuss it in the event thread, thats why its there. No one wants to come to the general news thread and stumble on discussion of the outcome of a fight thats barely over.

Fair point, just figured would be nice to actually have something different than McGregor being discussed in 3 different threads, but I take the point it was stupid to spoil the result like that, apologies that's 4 in the morning brain.

Just for future reference how long after an event before you can mention it outside the event thread, to be honest the Bellator thread is not as busy as the general mma one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Fair point, just figured would be nice to actually have something different than McGregor being discussed in 3 different threads, but I take the point it was stupid to spoil the result like that, apologies that's 4 in the morning brain.

Just for future reference how long after an event before you can mention it outside the event thread, to be honest the Bellator thread is not as busy as the general mma one.

Its in the charter somewhere (on phone at the min) but theres no real need for any event UFC/Bellator or other to be discussed in the General Chat/News thread. If theres discussion started in the Bellator thread then those interested will join the chat there. The General chat one is supposed to be news, potential fights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Paully D wrote: »
    Thankfully, there’s never any violence in GAA.

There’s often the undertones of a real jealousy thing going on with Brolly and the hardened GAA crew regarding Conor and MMA.

They can’t stomach the fact that he’s a multi-millionaire for prize fighting whilst the GAA crowd train 5 nights a week and play a match once a week whilst getting nothing but hardship for it.

Most of them are losing money to play it FFS.

The anti MMA thing is worse and far deeper than that. Its the worst type of Irishness. No different to the church. We've had 100 years of the church literally beating a culture of "change is bad" into us and its bled into the wider Irish culture, so a new sport becoming popular is a no no. As was gay marriage, divorce, the EU etc.

Theres a large part of the population who are hyper conservative, unadventurous and unwavering to the point of self destruction. We all know these people. Some of them are family. Just miserable people to their very core.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Article in the Sunday Independent today from Joe Brolly calling for UFC to be banned after 229. Likened it to slaves fighting to the death in Django unchained, implied it was a miracle no-one died, twists absolutely every single fight on the card into a warped depravity (even mentions that Waterson posed nude, for good measure) and of course had to mention Juao Carvalho. Utter tripe from the first word to the last.

Meanwhile a decent balanced article in the Sunday Business Post about how UFC has allowed itself to slide into a promotion that promotes and rewards increasingly terrible behavior.

Was just about to post the same. What a fcuking ignorant clown he is, saying MMA is not a sport. He is some idiot
    Also why would he let his 13 yr old kid stay up to watch it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Fair play out of Robin, classy as always. I don't know that Brolly fella but seeing some of his replies to people (who are being very polite), he seems like an awful kunt of a person.

https://twitter.com/robinblackmma/status/1051562857299628032?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Fair play out of Robin, classy as always. I don't know that Brolly fella but seeing some of his replies to people (who are being very polite), he seems like an awful kunt of a person.

https://twitter.com/robinblackmma/status/1051562857299628032?s=19

Robin's a gent, too bad Joe's a complete clown who has never been to an event, spoke to anyone who practicises mma, or anything to do with mma full stop. He's to busy **** off to GAA and crying into a pillow.

The quality of journalism in this country in horrendous, especially around touchy subjects. They think they have a license to print whatever ****e they want without doing any reasearch.

Also why is it people named Joe talk garbage. Joe Duffy, Joe Brolly even Joe Rogan :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

ASOT wrote: »
    Robin's a gent, too bad Joe's a complete clown who has never been to an event, spoke to anyone who practicises mma, or anything to do with mma full stop. He's to busy **** off to GAA and crying into a pillow.

The quality of journalism in this country in horrendous, especially around touchy subjects. They think they have a license to print whatever ****e they want without doing any reasearch.

Also why is it people named Joe talk garbage. Joe Duffy, Joe Brolly even Joe Rogan :pac:

#hatefilledangerwank

#hatefilledangerwank

Never forget :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It's well known that Joe Brolly is an absolute **** pheasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Ariel has nothing on cliggg, he broke that story three days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'm actually surprised the Reddit and Sherdog forums were right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Ariel has nothing on cliggg, he broke that story three days ago.
    Haha! Thanks! I also "broke" (on boards at least!) the news of a backup fighter for Holloway v Ortega and I see now Renato Moicano v Chad Mendes is in the works for that card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Lukker- wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised the Reddit and Sherdog forums were right.

The guy who broke it on Reddit has leaked accurate fight news before and seems to have inside knowledge of Henry Hooft's team so he must be in their team or gym or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

ASOT wrote: »

You mean Mayweather says gets the cheque book out?

You mean Mayweather says gets the cheque book out?

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Anyone find the Poirir injury a bit odd? The fact that he said very little about it. Was it announced before or after McG Vs Khabib?

I'm wondering if the UFC, needing McG to get back in the winning column, wanted Diaz off the card so McG Vs Diaz could be set up.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Anyone find the Poirir injury a bit odd? The fact that he said very little about it. Was it announced before or after McG Vs Khabib?

I'm wondering if the UFC, needing McG to get back in the winning column, wanted Diaz off the card so McG Vs Diaz could be set up.

Hardly - Diaz is no easy tick in a win column. He has reach, high-level boxing, tall, High-level ju jitsu, and non-stop stamina. And belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hardly - Diaz is no easy tick in a win column. He has reach, high-level boxing, tall, High-level ju jitsu, and non-stop stamina. And belief.

He's the easiest fight at 155 for McG, unless you start going down the rankings.

I really don't get the praise his boxing ability gets, he has zero power and for him to box he just plants that lead leg meaning you can just hack him down, and jitz is mostly defensive you will never see him agressivly going to take someone down to work on a submission.

Who would Diaz beat in the top 10?

IMO he would've get rag dolled by Khabib and Kevin Lee
    Barbozza and Justin gathie would destroy his legs, just like Barbozza did to his teammate.
    Tony beats him in all departments.
    McG beats him when he sticks to the plan of hacking the leg
    And I had Poirir beating him handily.

Must also be noted that his cardio/durability only really stands out over a 5 round fight.

Looking at the ranking he's actually 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Anyone find the Poirir injury a bit odd?

Not at all, say it’s his right knee & he tells someone Ariel Helwani. Next thing he’s eating leg kicks from Diaz all fight

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

KingJamsie wrote: »
    Not at all, say it’s his right knee & he tells someone Ariel Helwani. Next thing he’s eating leg kicks from Diaz all fight

Leg kicks from Nate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭xtal191

Poirier already said he injured his hip

https://twitter.com/DustinPoirier/status/1051201308097699841

He's the easiest fight at 155 for McG, unless you start going down the rankings.

I really don't get the praise his boxing ability gets, he has zero power and for him to box he just plants that lead leg meaning you can just hack him down, and jitz is mostly defensive you will never see him agressivly going to take someone down to work on a submission.

Who would Diaz beat in the top 10?

IMO he would've get rag dolled by Khabib and Kevin Lee
    Barbozza and Justin gathie would destroy his legs, just like Barbozza did to his teammate.
    Tony beats him in all departments.
    McG beats him when he sticks to the plan of hacking the leg
    And I had Poirir beating him handily.

Must also be noted that his cardio/durability only really stands out over a 5 round fight.

Looking at the ranking he's actually 10th.

10th from inactivity.

Rankings...

Didn't you see the two fights they had... - this is not a conjecture or an imagining of how they go. They've been very very close fights...

• Advertisement

Hip injury he has been struggling with for a number of fight camps.

Diaz being difficult in negotiations - same as usual -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_UyB73FUq4

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement