Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGregor vs Aldo---December 12th **Main card 3am. Conor v Aldo approx 5am

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I can't understand people worrying about getting tickets for this. Tickets will always sell out lightning fast in Ireland with McG headlining but I thought tickets in the States are usually easy enough to come by? Even with McG headlining?

There are multiple levels of real fans.

1.) he is my mate from Crumlin
    2.) I train in SBG with him
    3.) I was a fan since Cage Warriors in the Helix
    4.) Managed to miss the prelims but made it to the main card for UFC Dublin.
    5.) Holiday to Vegas to watch the McGregor fight with de lads/me fella.

There are also many fans like me, people who watch UFC regularly but don't watch any of the Irish local mma events or English ones, from his first fight in the UFC up until his last fight I have watched him and supported him. I watch UFC and am fans of many lads not just Mcgregor but I have a special spot for Conor because he is a country man.

I don't plan on going to Vegas for this fight because I can't afford it. I also didn't make it to the UFC in Dublin because at the time I simply didn't have the money to go because I live in Waterford and Dublin is far away. I would consider myself a 'real fan' I watch all his fights and follow all news releated to him but I also do that for many other fighters. I am really hoping with graduating college this year I might make it to one of his fights in the next year or two once I get a job.

On another note I seriously hope Conor wins this fight but my god I think everyone is underrating Also at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Just doesn't have the same excitement as the last one.

I'm sure in time just will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Went to 178 but missed weigh ins. Can anyone who was at 189 advise on how it worked to get in?

I am fight club member but the lad going with me this time is not. Do you get priority queue with fight club membership??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

There are also many fans like me, people who watch UFC regularly but don't watch any of the Irish local mma events or English ones, from his first fight in the UFC up until his last fight I have watched him and supported him. I watch UFC and am fans of many lads not just Mcgregor but I have a special spot for Conor because he is a country man.

I don't plan on going to Vegas for this fight because I can't afford it. I also didn't make it to the UFC in Dublin because at the time I simply didn't have the money to go because I live in Waterford and Dublin is far away. I would consider myself a 'real fan' I watch all his fights and follow all news releated to him but I also do that for many other fighters. I am really hoping with graduating college this year I might make it to one of his fights in the next year or two once I get a job.

On another note I seriously hope Conor wins this fight but my god I think everyone is underrating Also at the moment.

^ ^ this x 100, Aldo is a beast, a lot of people seem to be forgetting this, especially a lot of the 'newcomers' who only know the last year or 2 (Conor era) of MMA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Went to 178 but missed weigh ins. Can anyone who was at 189 advise on how it worked to get in?

I am fight club member but the lad going with me this time is not. Do you get priority queue with fight club membership??

Fight club entry started at 2pm, public entry was 3pm, 4pm weigh-ins started.
    Fight club entry includes a +1

scudzilla wrote: »
    ^ ^ this x 100, Aldo is a beast, a lot of people seem to be forgetting this, especially a lot of the 'newcomers' who only know the last year or 2 (Conor era) of MMA

I hope after the fight he isn't in the crowd celebrating with the Brazilian fans or doing front flips off the cage while Conor is knocked out. Conor hopefully will win but I'd wouldn't be so sure as everyone seems to be :(

On another note in vegas bookies he can be got for 2/1 that is amazing odds, Aldo will never be this price again.

On another note in vegas bookies he can be got for 2/1 that is amazing odds, Aldo will never be this price again.

2/1 that's insane. Where did you see that?
    Best price online is 13/8

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Mellor wrote: »
    Fight club entry started at 2pm, public entry was 3pm, 4pm weigh-ins started.
    Fight club entry includes a +1

Thanks for this. What proof of membership do you need to bring with you?

Thanks for this. What proof of membership do you need to bring with you?
    If you log into your fight club account close to the event there will be a pass you can print out. It'll have "your name" +1 and a barcode for entry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

i just rocked up to press conference and weigh ins with nothing and got in no problem, press conference i waited for it to start then came down from my room in mgm didnt even have to que walked straight in, went nice and early to weigh ins and got in easy as well i hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

The hype is most certainly there for me again as much as before. I've a feeling the first time you see McGregor and Aldo go face to face again after all that happened previously then the hype will return to previous levels and even above it.

It's set up perfectly.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    i just rocked up to press conference and weigh ins with nothing and got in no problem, press conference i waited for it to start then came down from my room in mgm didnt even have to que walked straight in, went nice and early to weigh ins and got in easy as well i hope that helps
    What time did you go down at, for weighins.
    There was a huge queue to get in for an hour before they opened the doors. They only asked for the fight club for the first bit, free for all after that.
    Then they were turning people away.

went down early seen huge queue an said **** that went to the buffet for lunch, then came back when doors opened,
    the staff were brilliant in getting people in fast, the direct you to different areas which sppeds up process as people there first have to go further back meaning if you time it right and are late but not too late you get best not reserved seats (unfair i know) but it honestly sped things up as you know how slow it is when your squeezing past people to get to an empty seat in the middle (like cinema etc).

We went about 10-20 mins after doors opened and had a very short delay to get in and seated.

one word of caution though, one of our group left the buffet with us but stopped to chat up a fit bird ( lucky fecker) and was another 10 mins after us. he txt us to say he could not get in.

the fire marshal stopped people coming in as the crowd got bigger, but i spoke to a security manager at mgm arena that we were a group of 6 and one guy was below and we had kept him his seat.

the manager told me he understood but the fire marshall decision was precipitaed by the amount of trouble being started outside by drunken fans.

after weigh ins we met our friend and he said a bunch of about 20-30 dubs( sorry to the rest of dub fans but you know the type here ) started fighting about delay getting in and abusing staff verbally and physically otherwise more would have bben let in

there wer defo seats still free in arena.

sorry about essay but thats the best way i can explain it

When they let fight club in early there were no directions, just a free for all, sit where ever you want.
    A great view isn't hugely important, but if you want to be up the front, gets FC tickets and get there early.
    There's a chance they'll use the full arena next time.

A friend of mine couldn't get in, said the crowd outside got rowdy, but he said it was after they shut the doors, not the other way around.

When they let fight club in early there were no directions, just a free for all, sit where ever you want.
    A great view isn't hugely important, but if you want to be up the front, gets FC tickets and get there early.
    There's a chance they'll use the full arena next time.

A friend of mine couldn't get in, said the crowd outside got rowdy, but he said it was after they shut the doors, not the other way around.

possibly but thats what the security manager said to me and my friend outside backed that up. was a great atmosphere tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

What level would these newcomers be? Level 5? Level 4?

This type of thing is clearly important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I was worried as **** throughout the whole build up because I knew quite well what Aldo capable of, but it's gotten to the stage now where I'm confident I'm what Conors capable of that it cancels put my fear of Aldo. Conor 100% hasn't faced a beast like Aldo but either has he in Conor. I am 100% confident in his ability and I know he will beat Aldo, he's something special. Jones sort of special.

I think aldo will struggle to be honest.

Alot of the Brazilians seem to be struggling now that PED's are being tested for more vigorously.

Anderson Silva
    Vitor belfort
    Renan Barao and aldo are in same boat in my opinion, only my opinion not fact mind you and some fighters and media outlets are saying the same, they are gonna have to fight clean now and won't be a shadow of what they were as Barao showed against dillashaw and aldo is pulling some shady sh1t to avoid even being tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

Is there any particular date I need to be signed up to Fight club before, in order to be eligible for presale?

You know how some bands have a pre-sale but it's like for members who joined before a certain date.

• Advertisement

ugh, won't let me edit that post for some reason.

I know no-one knows when tickets are to be released but I mean is there usually a deadline when you have to be signed up for fight club?

ASOT wrote: »
    I was worried as **** throughout the whole build up because I knew quite well what Aldo capable of, but it's gotten to the stage now where I'm confident I'm what Conors capable of that it cancels put my fear of Aldo. Conor 100% hasn't faced a beast like Aldo but either has he in Conor. I am 100% confident in his ability and I know he will beat Aldo, he's something special. Jones sort of special.

Conor is good but Jones sort of special? :pac:

He hasn't beat anywhere near the level of Jones. Conor has a good chance of winning this fight but you are 100% confident now he will beat Aldo..... Why? cause Conor beat Mendes? Aldo fought Mendes twice and won twice.

Conor is something special with the mic for sure, he is a brilliant fight for sure but anyone that puts him in the same class as Jones is just ridiculous imo. People are buying into his hype a bit. He beat Mendes but there was hole in his game in that fight. I wouldn't be so sure he will beat Aldo but I hope he does.... WAR CONOR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

He hasn't beat anywhere near the level of Jones. Conor has a good chance of winning this fight but you are 100% confident now he will beat Aldo..... Why? cause Conor beat Mendes? Aldo fought Mendes twice and won twice.

Conor is something special with the mic for sure, he is a brilliant fight for sure but anyone that puts him in the same class as Jones is just ridiculous imo. People are buying into his hype a bit. He beat Mendes but there was hole in his game in that fight. I wouldn't be so sure he will beat Aldo but I hope he does.... WAR CONOR!

And that's where opinions come into it, I think he's a special fighter, he's always improving and has beat everything that's been put in front of him. Maybe The Jones comment was a stretch but I feel he can reach that level especially the way he's going.

I'm 100% sure he will beat Aldo because I'm confident in his ability and feel his style is a bad match up for Aldo. If he tries to stand and trade with Conor like he did In the last Mendes fight he will get knocked out and I'd be fairly confident in that as well.

With regards Aldo beating Mendes twice that's debatable I taught he won the second fight but obviously needed to win clearly when fighting a champion on home soil, in the first fight if he didn't grab the fence Chad would have gotten the takedown and wouldnt have been kod with the knee but again that's all ifs or buts, the bottom line is I strongly believe in Conor and his skills and I'm fully confident he will be Aldo, it's all opinions anywya everyone's entitled to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

He is not ridiculous at all. And he never said Conor would beat Aldo just cause he beat Mendes. You're just putting words in his mouth there to be fair. He made it pretty clear that he thinks McGregors skillset will be too much for Aldo.

I for one, would definitely agree with him that McGregor (to date) is on a trajectory that is similar to, if not greater than that which Jon Jones was on at a a similar stage in his UFC career. In fact I would argue that McGregor has met a far higher grade of opposition so far than Jones had after the same amount of fights in the UFC.

ASOT wrote: »
    And that's where opinions come into it, I think he's a special fighter, he's always improving and has beat everything that's been put in front of him. Maybe The Jones comment was a stretch but I feel he can reach that level especially the way he's going.

I'm 100% sure he will beat Aldo because I'm confident in his ability and feel his style is a bad match up for Aldo. If he tries to stand and trade with Conor like he did In the last Mendes fight he will get knocked out and I'd be fairly confident in that as well.

With regards Aldo beating Mendes twice that's debatable I taught he won the second fight but obviously needed to win clearly when fighting a champion on home soil, in the first fight if he didn't grab the fence Chad would have gotten the takedown and wouldnt have been kod with the knee but again that's all ifs or buts, the bottom line is I strongly believe in Conor and his skills and I'm fully confident he will be Aldo, it's all opinions anywya everyone's entitled to there.

When did Aldo get knocked out last?

Also I don't think Aldo will just stand and trade punches, he has kicks and wrestling in his arsenal as well. I think Conor is way better striker than Aldo but I think Aldo is much more rounded fighter. I think Conor can beat him but it will have to be by knock out and no one has knocked Also out before. I know Conor has knocked people out before who haven't been knocked out before they fought him but this is freaking Jose Aldo.

John_D80 wrote: »
    He is not ridiculous at all. And he never said Conor would beat Aldo just cause he beat Mendes. You're just putting words in his mouth there to be fair. He made it pretty clear that he thinks McGregors skillset will be too much for Aldo.

I for one, would definitely agree with him that McGregor (to date) is on a trajectory that is similar to, if not greater than that which Jon Jones was on at a a similar stage in his UFC career. In fact I would argue that McGregor has met a far higher grade of opposition so far than Jones had after the same amount of fights in the UFC.

In fairness I know everyone is entitled to their opinion. I could see why people think Conor might beat Aldo. I just for the life of me can't see how anybody who watches mma can say that they are fully sure that Conor will beat Aldo. Yet again I reiterate its Jose freaking Aldo, Aldo has demolished everyone who was put in front of him and is 10 years undefeated. Conor can beat him but my god what a war it will be. Yet again.... WAR CONOR!

I booked.

£876 overall (flights and Excalibur hotel for 2 people for 5 nights)

Flight time is 17 hours both ways, going to be pretty rough. Don't land until 8pm on the Thursday so I will miss the press conference.

Doing it on a budget like an earlier person mentioned.

Alcohol in the suitcase and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

When did Aldo get knocked out last?

Also I don't think Aldo will just stand and trade punches, he has kicks and wrestling in his arsenal as well. I think Conor is way better striker than Aldo but I think Aldo is much more rounded fighter. I think Conor can beat him but it will have to be by knock out and no one has knocked Also out before. I know Conor has knocked people out before who haven't been knocked out before they fought him but this is freaking Jose Aldo.

nearly 9 months since he last fought, PED's on the way out, lots of mileage in the tank, not known for finishing people recently - I think Aldo is in for a shock

nearly 9 months since he last fought, PED's on the way out, lots of mileage in the tank, not known for finishing people recently - I think Aldo is in for a shock

I know Brazilians are known for using PEDs but do you really think Aldo is on them?

• Advertisement

Deadst4r wrote: »
    Is there any particular date I need to be signed up to Fight club before, in order to be eligible for presale?

You know how some bands have a pre-sale but it's like for members who joined before a certain date.
    You are ready to go as soon as you sign up, makes sense to leave it as late as possible if you are not going to use it before then. To be dave, go with 2 days before tickets go on sale.
    He beat Mendes but there was hole in his game in that fight...
    That’s true, but at the same time Aldo was also losing to Mendes before he knocked him out (first fight), and he only got in a position to do so by grabbing the cage.

You are ready to go as soon as you sign up, makes sense to leave it as late as possible if you are not going to use it before then. To be dave, go with 2 days before tickets go on sale.

That’s true, but at the same time Aldo was also losing to Mendes before he knocked him out (first fight), and he only got in a position to do so by grabbing the cage.

I'm fully aware that Aldo might lose. I just don't understand anyone who is 100% certain that Conor is going to win. One of the above posters said Conor will knock Aldo out, how can they be so certain of that considering he has never been knocked out and has taken some big punches. All I'm saying is its going to be a very close fight and can go either way, I think anyone who is saying they are 100% sure Conor will win are naive.

I'm fully aware that Aldo might lose. I just don't understand anyone who is 100% certain that Conor is going to win. One of the above posters said Conor will knock Aldo out, how can they be so certain of that considering he has never been knocked out and has taken some big punches. All I'm saying is its going to be a very close fight and can go either way, I think anyone who is saying they are 100% sure Conor will win are naive.

I understand what you are saying, but I think it’s also naive to think, when somebody says they are 100% sure, that they mean it completely literal sense.
    It’s a vote of confidence in McGregor, that’s all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Re the weigh in

At 189 i strolled in at half 3.

My mates were in there since 1pm with their fight club membership.

Ended up sitting beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 karlb123

i just booked some flights from sydney, 1700 dollars for flights alone. arriving 9:30 am thursday and flying back out to sydney on monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

karlb123 wrote: »
    i just booked some flights from sydney, 1700 dollars for flights alone. arriving 9:30 am thursday and flying back out to sydney on monday night.

Can I ask your route if you don't mind?
    Have a cousin looking to fly from Sydney too and hes looking into it at the mo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 karlb123

davmol wrote: »
    Can I ask your route if you don't mind?
    Have a cousin looking to fly from Sydney too and hes looking into it at the mo.

sydney to LAX then on to vegas. 2 hour stop over in LAX. same route coming home too.

FWIW I flew Syd-LAX-Las for 189 too.
    A friend went done craxy route with a stop in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭ItsAnEasyGame

Is there a limit to how many times you use the pre sale codes in 12 months?

Is there a limit to how many times you use the pre sale codes in 12 months?

I don't think so. You can go tonevery event if you pay the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Booked today, €710 for Flights and 4 Nights accom in the Luxor.. happy enough with that

Just signed up to Fightclub too, I'm gonna go ahead and assume the tshirt/pen/lanyard/earbuds are all piss quality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

maximoose wrote: »
    Booked today, €710 for Flights and 4 Nights accom in the Luxor.. happy enough with that

Just signed up to Fightclub too, I'm gonna go ahead and assume the tshirt/pen/lanyard/earbuds are all piss quality?

In the early days of the FC you used to get a shite quality t-shirt and a lanyard, now we had HUGE arguments with the bitch (rachel i think) who used to run FC asking them not to bother sending the shirts as P&P was something ridiculous, like 30euro ridiculous. Nope, she wouldn't have it, the shirt and lanyard was part of the package, even asked her just to bin mine but she wouldn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

In the early days of the FC you used to get a shite quality t-shirt and a lanyard, now we had HUGE arguments with the bitch (rachel i think) who used to run FC asking them not to bother sending the shirts as P&P was something ridiculous, like 30euro ridiculous. Nope, she wouldn't have it, the shirt and lanyard was part of the package, even asked her just to bin mine but she wouldn't

Just joined. $13.50 for shipping. ****sake $75 was already enough to be paying before they slap you with the shipping charge for crap I don't want.

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Just joined. $13.50 for shipping. ****sake $75 was already enough to be paying before they slap you with the shipping charge for crap I don't want.

same here, wish I had a few friends to split the cost with.

How many tickets can you usually buy with the presale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Deadst4r wrote: »
    same here, wish I had a few friends to split the cost with.

How many tickets can you usually buy with the presale?

6 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Jacare vs Romero added!!!

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

Jacare vs Romero added!!!

200.gif

Wow this card gets better and better!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭OverUnderP4P

Great card so far.
    I see Jeremy Stephens calling out Frankie for this card too. Easy fight for Frankie i think.
    They should put Frankie v Max Hollaway (if he wins this weekend) for a number one contender fight. Be a great fight.
    Then just throw in Gunni v Maia and you have the best card ever!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

pop corn gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Jacare v Romero is a great addition. This is the third time it's been scheduled so hopefully third times a charm.

Gunni vs Maia doesn't really do it for me if I'm honest, I think I've kind of seen everything Maia has to offer over the last 6/7 years. Gunni vs Wonderboy or Erick Silva would be my choice.

JDS vs Overeem is also on the brink of being announced, probably wishful thinking to have it at 194 but fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement