Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

It's a bit odd, wasn't it only yesterday he was buying bottle on his Instagram live showing it off

Maybe it’s part of the agreement that he stays on as a figurehead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It's a bit odd, wasn't it only yesterday he was buying bottle on his Instagram live showing it off

You don't suddenly start hating your child and cut all ties when they grow up and move out of home!

Whelo79 wrote: »
    You don't suddenly start hating your child and cut all ties when they grow up and move out of home!

Seriously? For real like? Damn, I should contact my son and apologise so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

He will definitely stay on as the face of the brand, im sure it was part of the agreement.

Similar to Dana when UFC was bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I hate how soft this modern world has become. 18 years old now get out that door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,543 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don't think he wanted to sell it , by the sounds of things he simply didn't have a choice the way the original deal was structed that after a set amount of time the Mexican company had the ability to buy his shares,

Who knows the ins & outs of the deal

But yes I agree it would make no sense to buy the brand without keeping him as its face,

McGregor featured on RTE's Claire Byrne there last night - 14 minutes in

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/claire-byrne-live/SI0000000325?epguid=IH000398314

contrasting his plea for lockdown and travel restrictions last year (before heading off on his jet) and buying his plonk in a shop last week not wearing a mask

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

glasso wrote: »

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/claire-byrne-live/SI0000000325?epguid=IH000398314

contrasting his plea for lockdown and travel restrictions last year (before heading off on his jet) and buying his plonk in a shop last week not wearing a mask

Your obsession with him isn't healthy to be fair.

ASOT wrote: »
    Your obsession with him isn't healthy to be fair.

ah his lack of consistency / self-serving is hilarious.

he must be proud that you have his back on boards - rewarded in the next life?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

To be fair it does come across as an obsession. I suggest if you honestly can't see that, have a look at your own post history in the forum. You're either trolling for a reaction, or have an unhealthy obsession with the man. Either way, could do with taking some time off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

When this is what is being reported on by RTE, it's really hard to find fault with those who have a problem with the TV licence!

Homelander wrote: »
    To be fair it does come across as an obsession. I suggest if you honestly can't see that, have a look at your own post history in the forum. You're either trolling for a reaction, or have an unhealthy obsession with the man. Either way, could do with taking some time off.

Conor will give to you in the afterlife...

The reward will be yours.

so no actual explanation / comeback on McGregor's hypocrisy (ongoing)....?

no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Nobody else gives a ****, apart from you apparently.

just love the die-hards!

RTE care enough to highlight his muppetry :D - as seen by 100's of thousands as it's a popular current affairs programme.

although actual current affairs may not be the strong point of some.

he set himself up for this with his hilarious "statesman" gibberish last year.

one of the all-time hilarious internet pieces.

RTE care enough to highlight his muppetry :D - as seen by 100's of thousands as it's a popular current affairs programme.

That's the issue though, isn't it?

Why do RTE care? Why are they spending portions of the licence fee that we all pay to highlight the fact that Conor McGregor bought a bottle of whiskey and wasn't wearing a mask?

Considering it's not long since RTE had to apologise for doing the same things themselves, I wouldn't be beating this particular drum too loudly!

I'll happily watch an expose if they're investigating his links to shady characters or his alleged shenanigans that have been widely reported. But not wearing a mask in the garage? Nobody cares.

It's a non-story.

but it is a story precisely because he made a big deal of being some sort of "statesman" nation address last year.

If Roy Keane had the deluded ego to address the nation in an Instagram video advising the government how to conduct themselves and what decisions to make despite not having a rashers in the world about viruses or epidemiology etc ...

And then subsequently decided to make his own low-rent poverty spec ad in a Spar shop selling his "Roy Keane Cork Black Pudding" and "how many had they left - it's the 2nd last pudding in the shop begorrah" and breaking the rules "normal people" have to abide by wearing a mask then it would be a story.

but it is a story precisely because he made a big deal of being some sort of "statesman" nation address last year.

If Roy Keane had the deluded ego to address the nation in an Instagram video advising the government how to conduct themselves and what decisions to make despite not having a rashers in the world about viruses or epidemiology etc ...

And then subsequently decided to make his own low-rent poverty spec ad in a Spar shop selling his "Roy Keane Cork Black Pudding" and "how many had they left - it's the 2nd last pudding in the shop begorrah" and breaking the rules "normal people" have to abide by wearing a mask then it would be a story.

No it wouldn't

MrStuffins wrote: »
    No it wouldn't

oh yes it would

oh yes it would

What is this? A panto?

Grand so! Looking forward to next week's Prime Time where they expose Sonia O'Sullivan eating with her mouth open and Gary Breen wearing socks with sandals. Big news!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Hold the presses, we've got a shocking headline to run 'Man is a hypocrite'.

Something every bloody person that ever lived has been.

• Advertisement

More on the Hans Moleman-Kamp stuff. Seems an absolute creep!

Tldr; This chap was an MMA photographer. Hans treated him like dirt so he quit. Hans had him blackballed, threatening fighters that they'd lose their Monster contracts if they worked with him

https://youtu.be/FdgeFrGBNjg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021/03/quinton-rampage-jackson-on-hans-molenkamp-criticism-nobody-is-telling-the-truth

Rampage says different, be interesting what comes out of it

QJ did say he loves a post for social media or getting fighters to do things for clout etc, but to say he threatens them to terminate their contract if they dont act along was a bit of a stretch

fitzparker wrote: »
    https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021/03/quinton-rampage-jackson-on-hans-molenkamp-criticism-nobody-is-telling-the-truth

Rampage says different, be interesting what comes out of it

QJ did say he loves a post for social media or getting fighters to do things for clout etc, but to say he threatens them to terminate their contract if they dont act along was a bit of a stretch

In all fairness, Rampage is
    a very nice guy who I won't criticise due to the fighter-bashing rules of the forum
    so I wouldn't take his word for it at all.

Bisping mentioned on his podcast that Monelkamp tried it with him, calling him saying "We're friends, right?". Bisping pointed out that they were just business associates and Bisping suddenly lost his Monster sponsorship.

I don't know what the truth is, but Occam's Razor would tell you that there has to be some truth in all this somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jessy Rose Clarke is good friends with him, and has openly supported him.
    She is also sponsored by Monster - and given the fact she is a fairly niche fighter - well draw your own conclusions.

Rampage is in a similar spot. He's also sponsored by monster. He saying that he wasn't blackmailed with his sponsorship to do social media antics.
    But he is also still sponsored and often takes the piss on social media. So not actually in a position to comment.

Somebody like Bisping, who was, and lost a sponsorship is significantly more reliable source to have seen both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

News today saying conor donated 500k to the boys and girls club of south louisiana

News today saying conor donated 500k to the boys and girls club of south louisiana

On one hand, fair play to him.

On the other, it's almost as petty as him barring the chap he punched from The Black Forge.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    On one hand, fair play to him.

On the other, it's almost as petty as him barring the chap he punched from The Black Forge.

Was the marble arch he's barred from. He owns two ****e pubs now.

I agree yeah it's very petty, I was reading some things online that that's where alot of the good fight foundations money goes anyway so he skipped Dustin out of spite. Money will do alot of good but.

News today that the buyout of proper 12 was worth 600 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭xtal191

Was the marble arch he's barred from. He owns two ****e pubs now.

I agree yeah it's very petty, I was reading some things online that that's where alot of the good fight foundations money goes anyway so he skipped Dustin out of spite. Money will do alot of good but.

News today that the buyout of proper 12 was worth 600 million.

Fair play to him, wonder how much of it he'll get

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The good fight foundation comment and thanked underneath the Clubs post on Twitter. After the “where’s the money” post Dustin had a follow up “sorry, I jumped the gun”. Got less coverage of course.

Given the Good Tax Foundation has massive expenses it makes sense to donate directly. For all we know they still involved.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    The good fight foundation comment and thanked underneath the Clubs post on Twitter. After the “where’s the money” post Dustin had a follow up “sorry, I jumped the gun”. Got less coverage of course.

Given the Good Tax Foundation has massive expenses it makes sense to donate directly. For all we know they still involved.

Hopefully Mellor but the optics don't look good to be fair.

Anyway atleast a donation was made and alot of good will come if it.

Advertisement